x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

With that condition, Do you still expect it's going to be solved?

I respect what the dev team wants on their own feature. But for me, migration to another app is my solution since 2016, after 1 week of testing  ✌🏼😂

Message 337 of 352

An employee of mine accidentally issued the wrong check amount on the invoice, because the invoice had an item taxed that wasn't supposed to be taxed, and therefore increased the amount of the invoice by $1.50. He didn't pay attention to the total of the invoice, and entered the check amount that the invoice was asking for instead of the amount that was on the check.

Because the payment was 1 single payment, and the invoice was marked as fully paid, the only option I had was to refund the entire invoice and it wouldn't allow me to delete the payment or issue another payment. Once I selected refund entire invoice, it basically treated the invoice as being cancelled. I then had to proceed to duplicate the invoice and reissue the correct check amount. This automatically sent an invoice to my customer saying that their entire purchase was refunded.

The issue arose because there is no delete payment option. I can understand delete payment for credit card transactions can cause issues, but checks and cash are physical items you keep on your person until you deposit them into your bank. There should be no reason to completely start over on an invoice because of a slip of the finger or simple adding mistake.

The second issue is the fact that I couldn't edit the invoice once total payment was rendered, meaning I couldn't subtract the $1.50 tax and then issue a fake refund to the customer for the incorrect check amount and correct the problem that way.

A simple delete payment button should be added to any non credit card payments so simple human errors don't cause huge issues. Every other invoicing system has the ability to delete payments, Square should have it too. 

Now for the people about to comment that there is an issue refund option on the square invoice, that is correct, however, it still comes up on your report as a refund on your gross sales report. If I were interested in running a panzi scheme I could enter amounts that are wrong and return them on half my transactions and let all my potential investors see my huge gross sales numbers, but that would not be ethical or correct.

Thus ,a refund is not the correct response for canceling a payment. It actually does affect your sales numbers and throws off useful analytics that companies use for knowing how much they sold. The transaction I am referring to was over $4000.00, so now my monthly sales this month show me doing a really good month, until you actually look at my net sales.

I would like to see Square join the rest of the online retail community in adopting accounting practices that have been around for hundreds of years and actually allow people to cancel payments instead of using a round about method that throws off sales numbers.

Thanks

Message 338 of 352

I accidently rang up a million dollar sale and it is throwing off all of my reporting.  I refunded it but that does not fix my reporting.  Any ideas how to get the sale and refund voided or remove them from Sales reporting?

Message 339 of 352
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 340 of 352

Allow to Edit along 5 minutes after data submitted could be a solution. Not a complete delete. That would help A LOT!

Message 341 of 352

Wow, I should have went with Lightspeed POS.. I can't believe that correcting a simple entry mistake is in no way possible.

Message 342 of 352

I just signed up for Square, and the first transaction, I thought, was a step by step tutorial. I didn't know it was a legitimate transaction that goes to my account. I didn't save it under any name or category, but now it shows that I have a certain amount of money that I actually didn't sell. How do wash this out, to make it an even 0 again?

Message 343 of 352
Alumni

@ATD_pro someone asked a similar question on a different thread. I moved you to it.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 344 of 352

I am one of the original posters for this question. I did 2 things: first, I use Quickbooks and enter my daily totals so any adjustments are made when I enter. 2nd, I gave up and moved to Shopify. I haven't had to delete any transactions in Shopify, so I don't even know if it's possible, but I like it much better. I have online and a mobile business with POS. Using Quickbooks keeps all info together anyway so taxes are a breeze.

Message 345 of 352

Fifty years ago in the early days of minicomputers and in the software development business, we always provided the ability to enter a reverse transaction to correct an error or a negative check payment to void a check.  The audit community accepted this concept of correction with a complete audit trail and notation.  The correct transaction was then re entered.  It all made sense.

Message 346 of 352

The businesses I help would greatly benefit from this.  There are issues even when the transaction is refunded:

• The item sales -> items sold is permanently affected by a sale.
  • Sales summary graph will show the extra amount. 
  • Sales trends in the future will also show the incorrect amount, as you only see gross sales totals.

I believe deleting of transactions is a dangerous power, orphaning some credit card transactions, and a legally binding compliance policy may affect Square's options here.

Perhaps transactions could have a new status flag just like "deactivating a location", it can be absent from all reports but still there in the background if someone is audited?

If you have any questions, I'm Around.
Message 347 of 352

I sold a piece of equipment and used Square Invoice to collect the payment.  Is there a way to exclude that transaction from dashboard reports as it was outside my normal operations and tends to skew the reporting?

Message 348 of 352
Alumni

Right now, there isn't a way to alter reports to exclude certain transactions. 

@DickV3636

Justin
Message 349 of 352

I have a couple transactions that were processed as "zero dollar" transactions - they were paid in cash, but the "cash payment" feature wasn't working.   

I need to void or delete those transactions, so that only the actual transaction remains, but I can't find how to do that? 

Also, I can't figure out how to open a cash drawer on PC for virtual terminal - I used to be able to do this but can't anymore?   Without an open cash drawer, I can't apparently choose "cash payment" 

Message 350 of 352
Square Community Moderator

Hi @EnbyBabyStore - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @isabelle, which has been marked as the Best Answer to this question

As for your question about Cash Drawers on the Virtual Terminal, I'm going to consult with the Virtual Terminal Product Team on this to get the best answer for you. I'll reach back out to you here once I've gathered more info!

Violet
Message 351 of 352
Square Community Moderator

Hi there again @EnbyBabyStore

I've just heard back from the Virtual Terminal Product Team and they've let me know that Virtual Terminal has not supported Cash Drawers in the past. You can still accept cash payments on the Virtual Terminal without needing a Cash Drawer.

Do you happen to have a Square Terminal device linked to your Virtual Terminal? If so, you can enable Cash Management directly from the Square Terminal. 

Violet
Message 352 of 352