x
Admin

Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hello Seller Community! 

Am I able to backdate or edit a transaction after the sale is complete? What if the sale occured earlier and I recived payment at a later date? 

Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

I took a payment and just entered the total without itemizing it.  Can I go back and itemize the bill after taking payment?

Message 106 of 135
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Becky5,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered before.

In the future- don't hesitate to search your question first for your quickest answer! The search tool at the top will pull related articles or Support Center articles related to your question. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 107 of 135

Thank you Ashley C!

Message 108 of 135

How do you change a transaction that is connected to a wrong customer?  We have a couple payments made by customers, but are somehow connected to another customer.   Luckily, the payments are processing through the correct card and emailing the receipt to the correct customer, but it is attached to a different customer and shows up in their transaction history.  Consequently, the transaction does not show up in the correct customer's transaction history so we are unable to track his payments.

Message 109 of 135
Beta Member

How can I make corrections to a transaction after it's completed??? I entered a payment as a gift card when it should have been entered as a comp. I can't find any way to correct it. I tried refunding it, but then I cannot recharge for the same service!!! SQUARE YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS NEED!!!

Message 110 of 135
Beta Member

They dont seem to care.  They just merge all of these semi related topics so they dont have to be bothered with them.  There is just one big topic thats easy to ignore. 

Message 111 of 135

I entered a transaction but the local tax did not get added and I completed the transaction. Can I add or revise the transaction to include the tax?

Message 112 of 135

Welcome to the Community, @lanibelles -

After a transaction is complete, you are unable to make any changes to it. 

I would double check the settings you have for your tax too. You can assign taxes to certain or all items. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 113 of 135

I have few checks payments from last year that I would like to record in Square so it would be easier for tax purpose. It's there a way to record transaction with back dates? Thank you

Message 114 of 135
Admin

Hey @Sissa! 🌟

While we can see why this feature may be helpful to some sellers, it's not one we have available or is in development. Sorry about that! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 115 of 135

@Sissa AKA "We don't care about your small business needs, since we have your money,   Your reporting issue and making your life easier is not something we care about."

Message 116 of 135
Beta Member

Ok I have a couple of question that go with this. I am new to square and trying to transition over to this instead of taking paypal payments (I hate the higher fee's that come with that system)

1.  Is there a way to link a payment to a transaction when the payment was taken prior to entering the items into the receipt?

2.  When taking a payment from a customer there is a big difference in the amounts that I have to charge between this system and the other system that l have to initially enter the product items in.  But I need to account for my inventory on this system.  Is there a way to enter in what product that they purchased without it showing up as a double payment here since I took the payment as a custom amount here without entering individualized items into the transaction? i figured it is something with the sales tax that changes between the two. (In texas with a 8.25% i have to add on to each item)

3. To keep my books straight I am trying to reenter product orders but could not figure out if there is a way to backdate them to the appropriate date the transaction took place.  Is there a way to do so?

Thanks for any help you can provide out there!

Message 117 of 135

I would also be interested in knowing if Square has improved this option in order to edit a transaction. I am having transactions come in under the wrong location from Acuity and need to edit the location so that it is transferred to the correct location bank account. 

Message 118 of 135

Another reason why this is VERY important to me (and I am sure others) for backdating a sale, is because I have my items at a shop.  I get my records at the start of the following month.  I would love to be able to record these backdated sales to keep my records up-to-date with Square. 

This is the only way I have been able to sell my items, especially as craft shows are not happening because of Covid.

Please, please implement this.  I still don't get how this is fraudulent activity.  It is more fraudulent that I can't record my proper sales.

Thanks!

Message 119 of 135

Hello Square family,

If a team member rings up a sale under a different team members code. Is it possible for an administrator to edit the team member on the sale?

Message 120 of 135

Hey there, @Loyalsquareuser

Welcome back to the Community!

Once a sale is complete, it cannot be edited in any way. To be able to change the team member assigned to the transaction, you would have to refund and charge the customer again. 

Other sellers have mentioned this as a Feature Request and I am going to add your post to the ongoing thread. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 121 of 135

@Joe and @Chad
You guys at Square seriously need to unclog your delusional paradigms!
It seems this so-called "potential scammer fraud" is non-existent, meanwhile you have a SEA-FULL of weary Square Sellers/Business Owners who  are being punished for this make believe crime, and in the same occurrence are pretty much FORCED to report taxes and incomes to the IRS incorrectly, WITH FOREKNOWLEDGE - now, wouldn't that be an ACTUAL crime? A crime to which you would be accomplices?...
hmmm... maybe you guys should start "considering changes" a lil more seriously! 🤔

Message 122 of 135

I include sales tax in all my sales and then run reports to calculate how much I owe the state. Because of the way sales tax gets submitted in Wisconsin I have a state tax rate and a separate county tax rate for each county. At a recent show I did not have the county tax rate enabled. Is it possible to go back and add the included sales tax now after the transaction is completed so the reports will be accurate?

Message 123 of 135

I entered a transaction for 2 batch sales we did (one batch sale was done in March, I didn't create an Invoice and forgot to enter the sale transaction at that time......second batch sale was done in May and I created an Invoice).  The transaction item I entered included both Gross sales totals for the 2 batches and was before the Invoice for batch 2 was paid.  When the vendor paid the Invoice, the Gross sales total showed up again.  Now our sales numbers are off due to the add'l recorded payment for batch 2.  Is there any way for me to Edit either the transaction I entered or the paid Invoice transaction to have the extra sales payment deducted from our sales numbers?

Our vendor says they pay us when they pick up our product whether we Invoice them or not, but seems it would be best for me to Invoice them each time since the sales will record when Invoice is paid, instead of me manually entering a sales transaction.  Would that be a fair assumption?

Message 124 of 135
Beta Member

There is 0 reason NONE no matter what excuse Square tries to use. I have never worked with a system that you cannot change the invoice date or the payment date. No, you cannot edit the amount charged to the card or the date the card was processed but even major retailers can adjust the invoice date. Now once it is paid on then no it cannot be edited and is locked but until then they can make all the changes in the world and keep the invoice date. But I have 2 invoices that were created in 19' and we didn't put their paper check payment in, their business claimed it as an expense in 2019 we claimed it as income in 2019 thru accounting but we cannot set a date we received their paper check payment so to give them a proper receipt and clear this invoice as paid in square and have it accurately shown on our reports? That makes absolutely no sense, I as the owner should be able to do adjustments, I can in QuickBooks, and if they took that away I would leave them. I understand square is new to the whole invoicing world which is way different from POS of Joe down the road selling you a nicknack and not joe giving you 500 nicknacks and then invoicing you for them. Square needs to get on the ball with this if they want us to use the invoice features and for them to claim fraud and outright say they have no plan to add a simple and reasonable request is absurd and makes each of us second guess if Square is the right choice for our growing business due to the vast amount of now and increasing POS app market. I would hope Square takes this as seriously as we are, and I would be happy to speak with higher ups at Square to explain my position as a person owing 5 companies for over 15 years to shine a light on this simple need.

Message 125 of 135

My request is a little different. Is there any way to apply a date other than today's when creating an invoice. I was doing a service call late yesterday and got in late and very tired so I did not try to invoice the customer until today. Other times I just miss something. A correct date can be very important in the case of warranties. Also, in rare instances county sales tax rates may change from one day to the next, so correct dates are important. On your end you could still show the date the invoice was created, but also allow an actual service date to be displayed for my and the customer's purposes. It also helps align purchases with jobs when the dates correspond.

Message 126 of 135