x

I have an android 6.0. Why can't I get the Square app?

I was using the square app up until the covid lockdown. Now, 3 years later, the square app isn't available in Google Play Store. I have a Galaxy Android running 6.0.1.

Message 1 of 5
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @skeezix, I see this is your first post, welcome! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Your Android device needs to be on version 7 or higher. Are there any updates available on your device? 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @skeezix, just taking over for Maya here. 

As devices continue to improve with newer versions of Android software, some of the older models that use Android as a system can no longer support the Square Point of Sale app. This is because the Square POS app will continue to be updated to function on each new software update made by Android.

Android 5.0  & Android 6.0 are no longer operational with are no longer operational with newer versions of the Square POS app on Android. 

I'm sorry that the Point of Sale app is no longer compatible with your device. 

I had a look at our device compatibility page and I don't see Tracfone listed. You could try to download the app but we can't guarantee that it would work as intended as it hasn't been tested. 

Though it comes with a slightly higher processing fee, you can still take payments through Square InvoicesSquare Online Checkout LinksVirtual Terminal, or Manual Entry

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @skeezix, I see this is your first post, welcome! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Your Android device needs to be on version 7 or higher. Are there any updates available on your device? 

Message 2 of 5

Hi MayaP, no unfortunately there are not.  Guess I'm stuck.  Hey while I have your attention, would you know if Tracfone would have Square compatibility? I really can't afford a $700 upgrade just for one stupid app...

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @skeezix, just taking over for Maya here. 

As devices continue to improve with newer versions of Android software, some of the older models that use Android as a system can no longer support the Square Point of Sale app. This is because the Square POS app will continue to be updated to function on each new software update made by Android.

Android 5.0  & Android 6.0 are no longer operational with are no longer operational with newer versions of the Square POS app on Android. 

I'm sorry that the Point of Sale app is no longer compatible with your device. 

I had a look at our device compatibility page and I don't see Tracfone listed. You could try to download the app but we can't guarantee that it would work as intended as it hasn't been tested. 

Though it comes with a slightly higher processing fee, you can still take payments through Square InvoicesSquare Online Checkout LinksVirtual Terminal, or Manual Entry

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 4 of 5

thanks for the (albeit depressing) news.

Guess I'll be saving up for a new phone.

Message 5 of 5