x
Beta Member

Why are some of my sales showing up as "uncategorized?

These are items that have been assigned to a category and sales reports show them in the appropriate category, then a different amount shows as "uncategorized". So appears not to be a duplication of sales reporting, but as though some are logged under the correct category, some are not.

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there @5crows@Almanzo 👋 Violet here, following up for Kassi.

Sorry to hear these uncategorized item sales on your reports have been giving you some trouble. To @Almanzo's point, we can see this issue sometimes if the items are being sold from another source aside from directly at the Point of Sale (online store, Postmates integration, etc.). We also often see this issue if an item or items have been sold without being assigned to an item category on the item's detail page.

The simplest way to see if you have an uncategorized item would be to export your full Item Library to an Excel or CSV file. Then, there will be a collum for "category" and if an item has yet to be assigned a category, this cell would be blank. This will be somewhat of a process of elimination.

To export this information:

• Go to the Item Library page of your Square Dashboard online.

• Click Actions in the upper right of the screen, then Export Library. From here, you'll choose which format you want the file to be in (Excel or CSV).

• Once you have the file downloaded, go to column F for Category and skim through to see if any item has a blank cell. This will let us know which items still need to be assigned to a Category.

• If you find an item that needs a Category, go back to your Library on the Dashboard and search for the item. Then you can click on the item to be taken to the Edit Item screen and you can assign it to a Category from here.

Keep in mind: If any items currently have a category but were showing as uncategorized on a previous date, this just means that they did not have a category assigned at the time of the sale on the report.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Hey @Almanzo, I would love to look into this. Could you maybe share a specific example? This way we can get to the bottom of this together! 

I will keep an eye out for your reply. 😀

Message 2 of 19
Beta Member

thought I had replied yesterday, but don't see it here, so may have not submitted properly. We have about 120 items that show sales both in the proper category and as "uncategorized". examples: Little House cookbook, rag dolls, Pioneer Girl, wooden fish, The Story of the Wilders

Thanks!

Message 3 of 19

Hey @Almanzo, this sounds kinda fishy. 

I recomend reaching out to our Support Team directly for this issue. There is a chance that there might be a glitch that's causing this. They will be able to take a look deeper into your account at specific payments.  

Please let me know if you need help getting in touch with our Support Team! 😀

Message 4 of 19
Developer

Any chance some of those items were initially sold as 'unclassified', then later classified into the proper category? You can probably tell if you break down sales by Daily instead of Summary, and see if the sales move from unclassified into another category at any point.

Message 5 of 19

I think I may be beating a dead horse here since there are multiple threads addressing this issue over the past 2yrs...but I need a legit answer/solution. 

Has there still been no 'fix' for the Category Report glitch in Square Appointments?  All items and services are properly categorized yet when I pull a Category Report and sort by Team Member (to pay commissions to my Service Providers) I'm STILL getting random services showing up as Uncategorized. It doesn't seem to do that with items (retail)...those show up in their proper category (cosmetics, skincare, etc)

I've had to create a custom report just to pay my employees. And it's very time consuming.  

How can this still be an issue??

Message 6 of 19

Hello @SDavis2235 and welcome to the Seller Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community on uncategorized sales for tracking purposes.

I would recommend what Chad did above about reaching out to Support so they can take a look on the backend to look with you. 

Ashley C
Message 7 of 19

I am new to Square, but after just a few sales, the generated sales report show unclassified on both. I may have went overboard on the user interface by setting up model and color categories and assigning a single item to each, which allowed a user to see all the blue items across all models or all the colors within a model. A Color category has many model items and a Model category  has many color items. Many to Many cardinality on Categories. Models have many color associations and colors have many model associations. Yet an item has only 1 color and 1 model.

Search is available I suppose an alternative, but it's hard to expose its use without considerable instruction. My customers have color preferences, and over time, my inventory may be reduced if I stopped making colors that were not selling as well as low interest models, so sales classifications are important on both.

However, the problem in the report may be deeper as the first item sold was only in one category and still showed unclassified. 

Is this why sales are being set to unclassified? The spinner item 'child' has two parent categories, model and color.

Message 8 of 19

Welcome to the Community, @5crows

Did you take any payments before setting up all of your categories? This could be another reason why you're seeing "uncategorized" on some of those items. Since the transaction has already been collected, it cannot be changed. 

Another question would be, do you have any transactions that are custom amounts?

If these two scenarios don't match, could you send over a screenshot of what you're seeing? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 9 of 19

What do you mean by custom amounts? The second order used a discount coupon and each item on that order had modifier choices, that took the default which did not alter price. At this point this is not a priority issue. It's a sales report showing top sales category as Unclassified on a single order.. There were 5 of 8 black items on the order, of which 4 were the same model. Black is a sub-category of the Color category, 1/8oz glass armadillo model is a sub-category of the Model category. My expectation was to see the top sales category listing Black. Do we mention domains this our can you track back by userid?

Message 10 of 19

@5crows

Custom amounts would be manually entering a price without an item attached. It would still show in your reports, but as an uncategorized amount. 

Do you see categories listed under the item details? Also, could you send a screenshot of the report you're looking at?

I want to make sure we are on the same page. 

Kassi
Message 11 of 19

uncategorized-category-doc 

The report showed up in my email and was called the Daily Sales Summary.

I didn't see a way to attach an image to this reply, the Camera did not drag and drop or upload. and I didn't know what should go in the Source field. Is there a user guide explaining the reply attachment process?

I did two screenscrapes and added a gallery page to my domain that does not show up in navigation. A link to that page is above.

I don't use any custom pricing or custom amounts.

I attached 2 more screenscrapes from the item definition for item F197 of the order sale that is being reported on, F197 is first item on the reports item list, the first is the description info and second is the category section of the items definition,

Message 12 of 19
Beta Member

We have the same problem and have discovered one of the reason- there may be another as yet unfound, as we have been experiencing this issue for a long time. We also have a webstore. It doesn't do a lot of business and is not connected to Square, so not linked with our store inventory. Sine Square processes our credit card payments, those sales show up in our reports under 'uncategorized'. Just the dollar amount under 'uncategorized', not the items. We are seasonal and I wasn't able to see this until the off season- no store sales, but occasional websales. Bingo!

Message 13 of 19

Best Answer

Hi there @5crows@Almanzo 👋 Violet here, following up for Kassi.

Sorry to hear these uncategorized item sales on your reports have been giving you some trouble. To @Almanzo's point, we can see this issue sometimes if the items are being sold from another source aside from directly at the Point of Sale (online store, Postmates integration, etc.). We also often see this issue if an item or items have been sold without being assigned to an item category on the item's detail page.

The simplest way to see if you have an uncategorized item would be to export your full Item Library to an Excel or CSV file. Then, there will be a collum for "category" and if an item has yet to be assigned a category, this cell would be blank. This will be somewhat of a process of elimination.

To export this information:

• Go to the Item Library page of your Square Dashboard online.

• Click Actions in the upper right of the screen, then Export Library. From here, you'll choose which format you want the file to be in (Excel or CSV).

• Once you have the file downloaded, go to column F for Category and skim through to see if any item has a blank cell. This will let us know which items still need to be assigned to a Category.

• If you find an item that needs a Category, go back to your Library on the Dashboard and search for the item. Then you can click on the item to be taken to the Edit Item screen and you can assign it to a Category from here.

Keep in mind: If any items currently have a category but were showing as uncategorized on a previous date, this just means that they did not have a category assigned at the time of the sale on the report.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Message 14 of 19

Well, based on my export, the Item Library in the Dashboard does not have 'any' Categories in its Items,

I created Categories Online and assigned Items to them from the Online section. Since the item in the Dashboard Item library carries the Category attribute as a column, that says an item only gets one Category over there. 

It also appears I have to recreate a separate Category structure in the Dashboard Category and either assign the Dashboard item a Dashboard Category or Assign a Dashboard Category to each item. 

I can foresee this will get messy. Let me run a test

Message 15 of 19

I was able to create more generic categories in the Dashboard and assign Dashboard items to them. However I discovered a problem in Search Results during assignment being truncated on the response scroll bar. After assigning a Category I did another export and checked. The last two items from each assignment did not get a Category because they could not be reached at the bottom of the scroll. It seemed like the response scroll is constrained and gets stuck. It does not reach the lowest 2 entries, leaving two items unseen in the response and therefore unassigned, because the scroll bar is constrained. This happened when searching for Items, on each new Category I created. There is something constraining the scroll bar, maybe a response set counter that must be incorrect or some incrementation value reaching a max and causing the scroll to freeze. I was able to separately assign them by searching on a unique field in those specific items, the item number in the name. Even then, the entire depth of the response item did not display in the search results box. It's as if the cursor slider is incremented by a value smaller then the actual text font size.

Your Scrollbar Control, has issues!

I have seen a different error when searching on the published website. In that case, Search sometimes displays a non-member on the search response set in last entry. The response storage table needs to be cleaned out between searches and that problem could be fixed. 

I think all my items are now classified, into generic buckets, at least they all have values.

Message 16 of 19

Hi there again @5crows - Thank you for your reply.

Yes, categories are one of the things that will not sync via the Square Sync feature between your Square Point of Sale and Square Online Store. You can learn more about what will and will not sync here on our Support Center.

As for the issue with the scroll bar, are you using Google Chrome for your browser when on the Dashboard? Chrome is the preferred browser when using the Dashboard so you don't run into any hiccups. There are a few different ways to assign items to a category. You can do so from the Item Library per each item or you can go to the Categories page and then choose which items from the list to add to the category or search by name.

If you are still having trouble with the scroll bar while using Chrome, you may want to reach out to our Support Team so they can report this issue to our Engineers for review. 

Violet
Message 17 of 19

Both Appointy and Uber eats come transactions come through as uncategorized. Is there anyway I can fix that?

Message 18 of 19

Hi @jreese 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community with your question. I see this is your first post here! Welcome! 🎉

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed uncategorized sales.

Please see my reply to one of our Square Sellers, ALMANZO, which has been marked as the Best Answer in the thread.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 19 of 19