x
Beta Member

Why is square going to stop updating apple apps?!

I am a new business that started using Square and enjoyed the software. I bought an iPad with the express intent on using the KDS system. I just received an email saying they are going to stop using Apple apps. If they do this I will stop using Square all together, and I will actively campaign against other businesses using Square, because this completely up ends my business . Why on earth would Square think this was a good idea? I love the KDS system and I love my Square POS system. I hate that I have to leave Square but I need something that uses Apple products. I hope square realizes the monumentally stupid decision. This is an changes their mind.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hey @CatinsEatery - I get where you’re coming from, but that’s quite an argumentative start for a community discussion. 

I love iOS too, but have invested in a large 22” android KDS for my small pizza truck. 

The announcement today was only regarding the KDS and future development, so the KDS for iOS is still available for the next year - it just won’t receive any new product updates that are developed. 

The rest of the range of apps remains unaffected as they weren’t mentioned. There are a few of them (such as the dashboard app) that are still iOS only. 

I think for all that read the email this morning a load of questions were raised, so I’d suggest asking these questions as they stand now.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

I’m also disappointed in yesterdays announcement since, I too, am a small business. I figure at least I’m being given a year to figure something else out. Whereas I do appreciate having the KDS in my tiny coffee shop, it’s really not all THAT necessary. First thoughts that went through my head were “Well, if I’m going to have to invest in new hardware, I may as well find a new POS” (which, honestly, I’ve been thinking of doing for awhile now because I feel like Square has gone from an affordable POS system for small businesses to just as expensive if not more so with all their nickel-and-dimeing for every little feature, (the latest punch to the gut being the need to upgrade to “online plus” in order to be able to continue to use the self-serve QR codes that I had JUST had printed on my menu boards). 

Now I’ve cooled off a little and look at this as the nudge I needed to find a better suitable alternative to Square that will meet all my needs without making me pay for a bunch of features I don’t need in order to get one that I do. 

---
Lori H.
Owner, Java Shack Coffee Shop
San Diego, CA
Message 3 of 3