x
Beta Member

Why is square going to stop updating apple apps?!

I am a new business that started using Square and enjoyed the software. I bought an iPad with the express intent on using the KDS system. I just received an email saying they are going to stop using Apple apps. If they do this I will stop using Square all together, and I will actively campaign against other businesses using Square, because this completely up ends my business . Why on earth would Square think this was a good idea? I love the KDS system and I love my Square POS system. I hate that I have to leave Square but I need something that uses Apple products. I hope square realizes the monumentally stupid decision. This is an changes their mind.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hey @CatinsEatery - I get where youโ€™re coming from, but thatโ€™s quite an argumentative start for a community discussion. 

I love iOS too, but have invested in a large 22โ€ android KDS for my small pizza truck. 

The announcement today was only regarding the KDS and future development, so the KDS for iOS is still available for the next year - it just wonโ€™t receive any new product updates that are developed. 

The rest of the range of apps remains unaffected as they werenโ€™t mentioned. There are a few of them (such as the dashboard app) that are still iOS only. 

I think for all that read the email this morning a load of questions were raised, so Iโ€™d suggest asking these questions as they stand now.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Iโ€™m also disappointed in yesterdays announcement since, I too, am a small business. I figure at least Iโ€™m being given a year to figure something else out. Whereas I do appreciate having the KDS in my tiny coffee shop, itโ€™s really not all THAT necessary. First thoughts that went through my head were โ€œWell, if Iโ€™m going to have to invest in new hardware, I may as well find a new POSโ€ (which, honestly, Iโ€™ve been thinking of doing for awhile now because I feel like Square has gone from an affordable POS system for small businesses to just as expensive if not more so with all their nickel-and-dimeing for every little feature, (the latest punch to the gut being the need to upgrade to โ€œonline plusโ€ in order to be able to continue to use the self-serve QR codes that I had JUST had printed on my menu boards). 

Now Iโ€™ve cooled off a little and look at this as the nudge I needed to find a better suitable alternative to Square that will meet all my needs without making me pay for a bunch of features I donโ€™t need in order to get one that I do. 

---
Lori H.
Owner, Java Shack Coffee Shop
San Diego, CA
Message 3 of 3