x

Modifiers - Asking for Payment on Personalisation

I am wanting to sell items of clothing with the option of adding personalisation for extra $. To do this the customer will need to type in what name they would like on the item. I am unable to find a way of setting up a "modifier" to include both a payment and a "text box". Is there a way around this? Eg: Size L Hoodie is $60 - optional name + $5. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hi @katylou,

I'd say you would need to create item variations which is when you can add an extra cost (I believe it must be the full amount though ie if the item is $20 without your add on, you would make it $22 with the add on if that makes sense).

In terms of capturing the customisation, the only way I think you could do this is in your Online > Settings > Checkout and under 'Customer Inputs' you could enable the 'Allow customer to leave a note to the seller'. 

These are by no means perfect solutions, especially if you've got multiple sizes and colours to deal with. If it was me I'd probably add a note to each item that clearly explained that if the customer chooses to customise, they need to specify the customisation at checkout in the 'Note' box or something. Alternatively, you could just capture their order and contact them after (which again isn't perfect).

I'm sure @Seamus can raise this as a feature request to Square though.

Hope that (kind of) helps as an interim work around!

Proud Australian Square Super Seller and users of Square Appointments โ€ข Square POS โ€ข Square Online โ€ข Square Reader โ€ข Square Stand

We use Square with integrations for Xero by Amaka โ€ข Printful / We have used Squarespace โ€ข Shopify โ€ข WooCommerce โ€ข QuickBooks and more!

Dieter Slicke is a boutique barber shop by appointment only with our own range of Australian made hair and skin care products
Message 2 of 5

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I had thought of using item variations as a work around but was hoping I didn't have to! Hopefully it can be added as a feature some time in the future.

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @katylou,

The workaround @dieterslicke shared, or variations, would be the best way to accomodate for what you're after here. This suggestion has been raised before, so I'll resurface it with our eCom team. Thanks for adding your voice here! 

PS. Welcome to our community! 

Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your response. Loving the interaction in this community!

Message 5 of 5