x
Admin

We’d love to hear your feedback on the usability of Square’s mobile apps. 📱

Hi Sellers!

We're shaking things up for this edition of "Question of the Week!" 

Instead of just one question, the Marketing Team at Square is hoping to learn your answers to a handful of questions and understand your experience with Square's mobile apps.

1. Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this?
  2. What do you like about using multiple apps for different Square products?
  3. What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products?
  4. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Square mobile app experience?
  5. How much impact would having one centralized app have on your day-to-day experience?
  6. Do you think each of our various Square apps look related and cohesive? Like they come from the same company?

We look forward to your replies! 🌟

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Beta Member

Pretty sure I use every app except payroll and photo studio; and I've loved the improvements over the last year or so to all of them. I do have a few ideas I'd love to one day see:

1. would love to see more iOS widgets to display information, the dashboard one is a great start!
  2. The weebly app is a little clunky and I feel like a from-scratch square online store manager app would d better than using the existing weebly app. 
  3. The ability to be logged into multiple square accounts would be great for all of the apps; I run 2 separate businesses with their own square accounts and services and right now I have one business on my phone and another on my iPad and sometimes have to manually lo in and out to access the right app/service

In terms of having a centralized app - I think it could detract from the experience if users are only using square for one or two services, and bloat the app overall. I like having apps that feel like they were developed for their specific purpose and often don't like apps that feel like they are a few experiences hastily stitched together for "convenience". All of the apps feel like Square apps except for the Weebly App (which can kind of get a pass since Square bought weebly and didn't develop the app entirely themselves).

On another tangent, I think that the team app is great but could have SO MANY more features. That's almost a different discussion so if any Square Teams dev is reading this message me and I'll annoy you directly 😂

Make Coffee, Love People
Message 22 of 47

I use the square apps Dashboard and Appointments.  I like most of what both the apps offer.  

Square appointments app should allow owners to approve requested appointments from the app. On the square appointments' app, I cannot even see a requested appointment. Currently I have to log in to square appointment dashboard in order to approve the appointment. 

I would be against a one centralized app because navigating the app would be more difficult. There are some apps I do not use from square. 

The square apps look related and cohesive. 

Frankie Soto 

Frankie Soto
Message 23 of 47

Hi

Still waiting for square to let us use a google review link on the receipt we send. NO ONE uses square reviews EVERYONE uses google reviews. 

So there that. This will help us small businesses owners like BIG Time. Doesn’t Square want to help out their customers?

Let your users remove square reviews and add link to google reviews on the receipt that gets sent. 

Thank you and take care!

Message 24 of 47
Super Seller

Failing that, I'd love a way to share the Square reviews outside of Square - like a way to put the "review feed" on our website or something.  (Is that already possible?  I don't think so...?)

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 25 of 47
Super Seller

Wow! I feel like @TheRealChipA @ryanwanner and @CoffeeMafia have all hit the nail on the head in their own ways!

My turn!

• Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this?
    • Yes! I currently use dashboard, payroll, team, and pos. This is cool, I feel like I use them each for specific reasons and not to their full extent.
  • What do you like about using multiple apps for different Square products?
    • I like that everything has a purpose. That I am going into a specific app for a specific reason and I don't have to maneuver through one app to get to the right place.
  • What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products?
    • Sometimes I will be going back and forth between 2 apps. ie. payroll and team to look at the schedule and look at specific time cards.
  • Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Square mobile app experience?
    • I would be weary to say combine all the apps but maybe there are a few you can combine? But that's also way out of my comfort zone to be able to request/ recommend.
  • How much impact would having one centralized app have on your day-to-day experience?
    • Honeslty? probably not as big of a difference as one might think.
  • Do you think each of our various Square apps look related and cohesive? Like they come from the same company?
    • Okay! I think they all look so unique in their own way but also very cohesive if that makes sense! Like i have no clue what a payroll and team app combined would look like because they look so different, yet so the same!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 26 of 47
Super Seller

Would love to be able to do the schedule from an app as well as be abble to access the seller community in an app! With notifications similar to social media.

notifications could be 

1. New posts in a group you are part of

2. New response to your post/ reply.

3.any time you are @mentioned 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 27 of 47
Super Seller Alumni

Agree!!! 💯 

Message 28 of 47
Super Seller

Hmm seller community app - neat idea!

Michael
Message 29 of 47
Super Seller Alumni

Oh yes! 100% one centralized app would be ideal! Have one for the pos/register and one for everything else. 

I use multiple apps from the square team, payroll, and iOS pos and cashapp apps. I find it frustrating to have the ability to do some things like payroll in the app but not the schedule. I do like the fact that the pos/register app would be separate, but ideally everything else in one would make it easier.

I think the best improvement that could be made is the ability to fully access the back office from the central app. The ability to do most of all of the functions that you can do on the computer. I know some things like certain reports and things may be difficult or not possible, but adding products, editing all of the details like in the back office, then having the ability to do scheduling, building, approving requests, etc all together with payroll. 

Putting it all in one app would make things so much easier and quicker to get things done. And to do it remotely. I do so much from my phone these days that if I am not at my store I’m unlikely to pull out my laptop to do things when I am not a the store, so the ability to do it on my phone would help correct a lot of our database issues, get employee communications and schedules out all from my phone. 

just my two sense… 

Message 30 of 47
Super Seller

I’m going to upvote the back office app 1 gazillion bazillion times! Yes, please!!!!!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 31 of 47
Super Seller

To add my two cents to yours ... GREAT IDEA!

Yes, I would love it if taking in money (the PoS and invoicing) was all in one app, and the "back office" or basically all the set up and management things were in another. 

I'll even raise it to 5¢ if it helps!

Michael
Message 32 of 47
Beta Member

Having one app with access to all items would be amazing. It would save time and we would have everything under one app. 

I currently use, retail, invoices, payroll, report dashboard.

Message 33 of 47
Super Seller

1. Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this? We do - but to employees I think it is a bit aggravating to have multiple apps instead of one place because they easily get confused.
  2. What do youlikeabout using multiple apps for different Square products? Access can be selective - instead of everyone being able to access the same information. (Appointments for someone that is teaching for example but who doesn't need outside access to the POS)
  3. What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products? A lot of space on the device for app use and some confusion by the staff.
  4. Do you have any suggestions onhow we can improvethe Square mobile app experience? They apps look and feel cohesive.
  5. How much impact would havingone centralized apphave on your day-to-day experience? Not much but somewhat easier
  6. Do you think each of our various Squareapps look related and cohesive?Like they come from the same company? - Yes I do feel like they come from the same company. They look related and cohesive. And I think ultimately some may prefer a single app and some may prefer to use the related pieces and apps they want to use.
Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 34 of 47

The ability to use product images in square restaurant would be great for a brewery application. 

Message 35 of 47
Super Seller

Square apps ...

The main Square Point of Sale app works great overall.  I like it best on a tablet, we use the Square Terminal at our studio every day, but the phone version has improved and is a great tool for taking payments on location.  I also like that most features are combined in to this main app - I can create invoices right in the app and get a quick look at my reports on the small screen.

I do NOT like that it requires allowing microphone access before I can even open the app.  It's a privacy thing for me, but since I'm not using the Square Reader and my iPhone doesn't even have a headphone jack, there's no reason to give the app microphone access.  I don't even want to take payments with my personal phone - I would just use the app to review reports - but the app won't even open unless I give those permissions.

To be honest, I haven't used the other apps.  I have no idea what the difference is between "Square Point of Sale" and "Square Retail Point of Sale" (inventory management?) but since the one we have works I didn't bother trying the other one.  I took a look at all the apps about a year ago, and the features didn't really mesh with our business and how it operates.  We have other solutions in place for team tracking, taking photos (we are a photo studio 😊), and booking appointments. 

And, sorry to say, when I'm doing business analysis (reports, accounting) and when I do invoicing I prefer to work from my computer.  Those detail tasks just work better for me when I can see more on the display all at once and have multiple tools open side-by-side.

Michael
Message 36 of 47

You can improve big on reporting. We sell different items and sometimes receive donations but when trying to see who placed the order, things get very difficult. The only way to see things is via the transaction area and it has to be order by order.

Message 37 of 47
Beta Member

1. Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this?

It's a paiin to have to remember which app does what and  a waste of time. I'm a sole proprietor and it just adds to my plate.

1. What do you like about using multiple apps for different Square products?

nothing

1. What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products?

Time wasting. Unnecessary.  Many apps could easily be combined.  I don't need a separate Teams and Payroll app and then I still have to go to the desktop to do anything significant. I hate using the Invoices app and will just go to the desktop for Estimates.

1. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Square mobile app experience?

Combine things.  I want fewer apps that do more.

1. How much impact would having one centralized app have on your day-to-day experience?

a Tremendous amount. I won't have to remember which app does what part of the workflow. 

1. Do you think each of our various Square apps look related and cohesive? Like they come from the same company?

Sure they look related. Not anything I care about though. I want them to function smoothly

Message 38 of 47
Beta Member

I use the Dashboard, POS and Invoices. My main issue is with messaging. As I’m in the UK we don’t currently have access to the Messaging App. In the Dashboard, in order to message a customer, they need to have made a purchase, received a digital receipt etc. whereas I can message the same customer from the POS app without these criteria being met. A messaging system should allow contact with both existing customers AND potential customers.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 39 of 47

Hi there! I do use two Square apps right now. I think every small business owner who takes sales in via square and who uses Square Cash or Square Payroll to pay their people is wondering why you don't have an accounting program also, like a QBO / Freshbooks clone so that I don't have to go anywhere else outside of square. Then combine it all into one centralized app. 

Message 40 of 47

1. Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this?                A:  Yes, I use appointments and Invoices. Both are great apps, however, appointments does not offer any functions for the limo industry. I have had to use many workarounds to use the appointment features of the app.                                                                                                                                                                                    I cannot offer "farm out jobs" to other drivers who use square appointments. when turning a sale into an Invoice, it would be helpful If I could add multiple sales from one affiliate/contractor to one invoice eg. the system asking if I'd like to add another sale to the invoice. In addition, the system does not send (Me) reminders of upcoming appointments. It does a great job notifying the customer, but it would be nice if I and anyone else added to the booking would get a notification.                                                                                         I would suggest an option where I could add an email or phone number to anyone else associated with the booking. eg. If I am booking a transfer for (you) and I want to add the driver who will be handling the transfer, I should be able to add their email and Phone number, and assuming they have or download the appointments application, they will get a notification ahead of time (based on settings I can manipulate ie. , x-days in advanced, x- hours, etc) The person should also NOT be able to see what I am billing you, only what I am paying them to do the Job. Some sort of masking feature. So for further clarification, If I am charging the client $145 for a Transfer and want to pay the driver $120, then he should only be able to see their payout ($120) In the end when it is time to reconcile the job they can then turn that appointment into an Invoice and send it to me for payout and in turn when I bill the client the $140, it closes out as it does now.                                                                                             
  2. What do you like about using multiple apps for different Square products?                                                            A: The flexibility it offers to create invoices without using the appointment application. in essence, I have options
  3. What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products?                                                         A: Sometimes it feels redundant when creating invoices. Since I can create an Invoice using a sale in Square Appointments, and do the same thing in the Invoice app, it seems pointless to have both, unless I am missing something. I know the Invoice app has a suite of other "options" not found in appointments, but putting those options in appointments would create a better workflow. I would not need to go to appointments to grab details from several sales to then copy and paste into (one) invoice to send a client/affiliate for payment             
  4. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Square mobile app experience?                                 A: as stated in the aforementioned paragraphs above. In addition, using QR codes unique to my account that a client can "scan" while in the vehicle or elsewhere, that can "take them" to the "create new client "page and subsequently allow them to create their own appointment while in the vehicle would be priceless. 
  5. How much impact would having one centralized app have on your day-to-day experience?                                 A: In a word? PRICELESS!
  6. Do you think each of our various Square apps looks related and cohesive? Like they come from the same company?                                                                                                                                                                      A: YES. AGAIN, adding options in the existing appointment app for the Livery/Limo industry eg. (Limo Anywhere, Moovs, and Capital Drive) would help increase my workflow and ability to do farm-outs without using screenshots to send jobs to other drivers
Message 41 of 47
Super Seller

1. Do you currently use multiple Square mobile apps? If so, what is your overall experience with this? - Currently we use Appointments, Invoices & Square Dashboard - I find all the apps that we use are intuitive.
  2. What do you like about using multiple apps for different Square products? I don't mind it- I think it makes sense for appointments
  3. What do you dislike about using multiple apps for different Square products? I really don't have any dislikes that come to mind
  4. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Square mobile app experience? none at this time
  5. How much impact would having one centralized app have on your day-to-day experience? it would be fine- but there are some things that we don't want every single user to have access to so it would be helpful to set app permissions
  6. Do you think each of our various Square apps look related and cohesive? Like they come from the same company? yes they do look related
Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 42 of 47