x

Can I start an order, and add the payment later?

I run a small coffee shop and bakery. We have many customers who are elderly or just don't like to use the online or mobile ordering, and will call in their lunch orders.

These orders are always a headache because we have yet to find a good way to take an order in a way that sends the ticket to the back to be prepared, and then add payment when the customer comes in for the order.

It's super possible there is a way, we just haven't been able to figure it out!

Right now this is what we are doing: we take the order, and add the 100% discount just to eliminate any drawer offages, etc, and then process the transaction so the order ticket prints in the kitchen. When the customer comes in for the order we ring it up AGAIN and take their money, and just type IGNORE in the name spot so the kitchen doesn't accidently make it again. Then we go and refund the transaction. 

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello @pekarna

Good to see you post in the Seller community again. Welcome back! Sounds like this has been quite the headache, have you considered utilizing open tickets?

Check out this  guide from our support site to see if you think it would be a more ideal solution. 

We are happy to help answer any other questions about this, just let us know!

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Best Answer

Hello @pekarna

Good to see you post in the Seller community again. Welcome back! Sounds like this has been quite the headache, have you considered utilizing open tickets?

Check out this  guide from our support site to see if you think it would be a more ideal solution. 

We are happy to help answer any other questions about this, just let us know!

Frida
Message 2 of 8

This worked beautifully! Thank you for the quick help!

Message 3 of 8

@pekarna, glad we could help! 😁

Frida
Message 4 of 8

Hi Frida,

I have a similar situation but not POS; can I use Square Online to take an order, but not a payment? We want to be able to create an invoice after pick-up / delivery since often the final product is slightly different than the order (we are a farm that harvests to order). 

Message 5 of 8

I would like to use Square Online to collect orders but not require payment until we invoice them after pick-up/delivery because often our quantity/availability changes after an order comes in. Is there a way to allow a customer to order / "check out" products without paying anything?

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

Hi @UGCFarm.  Currently, there is not.  You can submit a feature request to the Square Online team here.  They will review it and let you know if it is a feature they want to add to the roadmap.

Best.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 7 of 8

Hi @UGCFarm  - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your duplicate post to this existing thread where other Square Sellers have asked this question as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. I also want to make sure you've seen our Community Etiquette Guidelines. We ask Seller Community Members to not post the same message in multiple places, as it is not productive for our Moderators.

Thank you for jumping in to provide an answer here, @TheRealChipA!

Violet
Message 8 of 8