x

How do I accept checks as payment?

How to accept checks as payment on a square?

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Ron - Thanks for the help with this one!

@cla - For more details on this process, check out this Support Center article that covers accepting cash, checks, and other tenders. Please keep in mind that when you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. You'll still need to cash the check with your bank. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Will square charge a transaction or processing fee for checks?

Message 22 of 42
Super Seller Alumni

No, they only charge for credit/debit sales.

Judy T Shumway
Message 23 of 42

Thank you!

Message 24 of 42
Super Seller Alumni

You're welcome, glad to be of help.

Judy T Shumway
Message 25 of 42

Does anybody know if Square accepts personal checks?

Message 26 of 42
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @SophiaD 

You could accept checks from customers to your business and record them using Square POS at checkout, but there is no way through square to verify or deposit those checks. You would have to use your own bank later to deposit those checks.

Otherwise there are no other ways to use checks with Square.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 27 of 42
Beta Member

If I could deposit checks into my square account, (and cash into an atm) then I wouldn't have a need for the bank account. I could just use my square card as my business charge account.  That would save me time by not having to deal with an entire extra institution.  Is this coming?

Message 28 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @SebringSignsInc 👋 Welcome to the Seller Community! Thanks for reaching out with your suggested feature. We are stoked to have you in the fold.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a thread of other Sellers asking general questions concerning accepting checks, as well as requesting the ability to be able to cash checks directly into Square!

While I can't share detailed information concerning our check acceptance plans, I can confirm that there will be some changes coming to this feature down the road that I think many Sellers will find helpful. 

We will be sure to update everyone on this thread when there is more news to share! Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 42

How do i deposit a check

Message 30 of 42

Hey @Shortyslife1974,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered from another seller. 

In the future- don't hesitate to search your question first either here or on the Support Center as you can answer general questions there fastest. 

Ashley C
Message 31 of 42

I have a customer that was out of town and is asking me to do maintenance work, I asked him if he can pay with a card he said he would send a check through the mail but I want to see if there’s a way if they can manually enter the check to be processed

Message 32 of 42
Alumni

Square doesn't process checks, just records them. Check out this thread up top @Texaslance31

Justin
Message 33 of 42

I facilitate conferences to k-12 educators in the US.  Often times, schools and districts prefer purchase orders paying by check or credit card.  Unfortunately, Square doesn't offer checks or purchase orders as a method of payment for online purchases.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can use Square for events given these limitations?  Thanks.

Message 34 of 42
Alumni

You can still accept checks using Square Point of Sale in person @MarkStrobel33!

You are correct that it would not be possible for a customer to electronically enter in their check information via your Square Online website for online payments, but credit cards are absolutely accepted. However, we recently introduced the ability to accept ACH payments using Square Invoices - this sounds like it may be up your alley!

Valentina
Message 35 of 42

Hi Valentina.  Thank you for your response.  In person checks and bank transfers will not work.  I know that Square will work great with online payments.  But it is the checks and purchase orders that I worry about the most.  

Message 36 of 42

Checks that are accepted for payment and marked as "other" is there a report to show all of those transactions?

Message 37 of 42

Hello @mcaniya 👋 

Yes! Under your transactions page, you are able to filter by payment method and select "other". That should bring up all payments marked as other.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 38 of 42
Beta Member

When we accept checks we enter them as "Check" (vs. credit card or any of the other options) in Square POS. We also accept other payments as "Other payment types" for which we enter a note in the Other payment type "optional note" field.

When we run a report it lumps both Check and Other payment types into the "Other" Payment method field. Is there a way to have Square explicitly show how much was received by Check in the report vs. lumping it in with Other?

thank you!

Mark

Message 39 of 42

Hi @mmanasas - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed check reporting within Square. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @JJ_ above, which addresses your question. At the moment, we do not have a report that shows checks separated from "Other Tender". This would be considered a feature request. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators.

As a workaround, you could export your transactions to a CSV file and there will be a collum that indicates which transactions were paid by check. You can always delete any columns or rows with the info you don't need from the CSV report.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 40 of 42

If you make a sale elsewhere, is there a way to manually add it to square before payment so that you can keep track of all orders in one place?

Message 41 of 42

Welcome to the Seller Community, @epbressler 😊 

Yes, you can add a manual transaction for payments made with cash, check, etc. 

You will need to first enable the option through the POS app. It will be under Settings > Checkout > then Payment types.

Now when you review a sale, and proceed to to charge, you will see multiple payment options. You can choose from the following payment methods: Manually Enter Card, Manually Enter Gift Card, Record Cash Payment, or Record Other Payment.

Message 42 of 42