x

How do you enter in credit cards for International (overseas) clients?

How do you enter in credit cards for International (overseas) clients? 

Do you process payments for International or Overseas clients the same way as NA clients?

What do we need to know about processing International clients (my clients are based in Hong Kong, Phillipines, Germany, Israel, and other foreign countries.  

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 110
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to enter international addresses for credit card payment?

Square automatically will show a number pad on the manual transactions. But the bottom left button says ABC and will take you to the usual alphanumeric keyboard. You can enter her postal code on that screen. 

535A5FF0-48CE-487C-931F-EF56AE85DA36.png

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

To piggyback off the previous post, 5 zeros is a great option if there aren't ZIP or postal code in the country of the card holder. However, if the ZIP or postal code you need to enter is alphanumeric (as some are outside the US), you can toggle between the number keypad and the keyboard.

On iOS devices,  you can tap ABC at the lower left of the screen, then to return back to the number keypad, tap 123 in the lower left of the screen. To switch between the number keypad and keyboard on an Android device, you tap the keyboard icon to the right of ZIP.

You can check out more information on accepting international cards in our Support Center. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 110
109 REPLIES 109

OMG..CR does have zip codes..Thanks

Message 22 of 110

Is it possible the card is a Prepaid card? Square has trouble with those. There's some way for the user to register the card, but I don't know anything about that.

Message 23 of 110

Good thought but I dont think so..

Message 24 of 110
Square

@mremele - You shouldn't have issues processing prepaid cards as long as they're branded by one of our card partners. 

@StanLabo - If you're still having issues with a card being declined, if your customer calls their bank - they can tell them exactly what is going on. Often times international transactions are flagged as potentially fraudulent by banks. Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 25 of 110

I think I discvered the issue..In CR , the postal zip code is 10109...When I add that, its also the zip code for NY'..Can I add costa rica after 10109?

Message 26 of 110

but what if the postal code in China is six numbers? it's reading it as an american zip and declining the charge. 

Message 27 of 110
Admin

Hey @Jetboy42, I wanted to check in here and see if you were able to get this sorted out. If the five zero suggestion didn't work, we'd be happy to have a member of our Support Team take a closer look.

To proceed: please send the payment amount, date, and last four digits of the card directly via this secure form. We'll take it from there.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 28 of 110

I too am having issues entering a zip code to the Netherlands.  "2061 DG"  any recomendations?

Message 29 of 110

I too am having issues entering a zip code to the Netherlands.  "2061 DG"  any recomendations?

Message 30 of 110

Hey @FLStudio, did you try entering the five zeros as Tom suggested above? 

Also have you contacted your customer to make sure their account is in good standing as well? 

Message 31 of 110

Thank you for checking in!  It turned out to be a card holder issue.  For others reading this post, I was able to enter a foreign zip "1234 AG" just like that.  No extra zeros, no elimination of spaces or letters.  Thanks Square Community!

Message 32 of 110

I tried manually entering a London CC with CVV and alphanumeric zip code and it still declined. Any thoughts? 

Message 33 of 110

Hi, get the customer to call their issuing bank to tell them about the transaction before you run it as most of these get declined if they do not call.

Message 34 of 110

As this isn’t exactly convenient for neither the CC holder nor us (the restaurant), is there a way to reconfigure the manual CC payment functionality to NOT require a billing zip code like with other POS systems? Or at least to accept a “dummy” zip .. ? This payment was for a transaction last Fri, the CC holder had preauthorized dinner for her parents at our restaurant and the back and forth to get this transaction processed is somewhat awkward af this point ... Thanks. 

Message 35 of 110

Sorry, I have never had to do that on the spot, I can always have a the time to wait for them to call.

Message 36 of 110

Were you able to get this ressolved? Having the same issue with London client.

Message 37 of 110
Square Community Moderator

Hi @jm2607

What was it that you were running into exactly?

Have you tried entering five zeros for the Zip Code to see if that works? 

Message 38 of 110

How can i manually enter a sale if customer has no US zip code (international customer)?

Message 39 of 110
Admin

Hi @Mr-Sery-Volk, great question! Check out Sean's post above.

If entering five zeros (00000) in place of the zip code doesn't work, try four (0000).

Find more information on accepting international cards in our Support Center.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 40 of 110

I tried the city code but it did not accept it.... any thoughts?

Tags (1)
Message 41 of 110
Admin

Hi @jwa, thanks for flagging. Take a look at Sean's reply here. Still having trouble? Try entering five zeros instead. Hope this helps! 🌏

️ Tom | he/him
Message 42 of 110