x

How to delete multiple items?

We created over a period of time too many items which we don't use anymore. Is there a way to clean it up massively instead of one by one?

Message 1 of 75
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we don't have a "bulk delete" button, I have a work around that may work! You'll just need to update the items CSV from your Dashboard by exporting it, making your changes then importing the updated CSV back into your Dashboard. Here’s how:

First Export:

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items.
  2. Click ActionsImport/Export at the top-right of the page> Export Items

Make the necessary edits to you item library by delete the item rows that you do not need.

Import Updated CSV:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Drag and drop your updated .CSV template file into your Dashboard.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
Admin

@dianasbooks Alas there isn't a 'fun' feature for deleting several items at once! The Best Answer in this thread has a workaround which should speed this up for you — but it does involve downloading your item library and then uploading your new inventory to Dashboard

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 64 of 75

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Convenitently removing items

I've seen responses to the question "How can I remove an item from the list without permanently deleting it?" but it is so time consuming. I have to go into each item, into its location, and unclick the availability. This would take me over an hour just to get my list down to the ten items I want for the next market. How is there not a way to just click down on each item in the list, on or off. It would be SO much better to scroll and click in the menu than to have to enter the profile of each item just to turn it off. Can something be done about this? It's almost baffling. 

Message 65 of 75
Admin

@amandastapes The workaround shared in this thread might help save you some time! If we make any improvements that speed up item library management we'll post in this thread and you'll be notified automatically. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 66 of 75

You can delete all of the items and effectively start over. 

1. Export the all of the items, as suggested.
  2. Delete everything in the spreadsheet.
  3. Import the empty spreadsheet making sure to select Replace Item Library
  4. Once that's done, there won't be any items when you go to your dashboard or Square sales device and you can start over.
Message 67 of 75
Beta Member

For the cost that we pay to use Square, I am appalled that this 'feature' of 'Select All' isn't in Square.  Horrible!  CSV is NOT an option. 

Message 68 of 75

How does Square not have such a BASIC function!?!?!?

Message 69 of 75
Square Community Moderator

Hello @ Old629,

Thanks for reaching out to the Square Seller Community with your concerns. 

As of now you are able to export your item library, remove the items from the excel sheet you no longer want. And can import back in. That would essentially be the quickest way to mass delete and update the item library right now. 

I agree, there should be built in function to help make this easier. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers’ interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates, here, in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! 🙂

Message 70 of 75
Beta Member

I am a newcomer to Square and I am facing the problem of eliminating products in bulk. For me, for example, I am testing connectors to synchronize products from the CMS of the online store. I've tried one that doesn't sync the barcodes and I have to move on to the next one so while I'm doing this kind of testing I will probably have to delete products more than once. It is mind boggling to me that there is no multiple selection functionality but what is more mind boggling to me is that looking for a solution I come across this help post where such functionality has been claimed since 2016. Really? 6 years claiming something so basic and it hasn't been implemented? It doesn't speak well of your service, it makes me think that maybe I'm making a mistake choosing your software.

Message 71 of 75

In the ideal world (where we DON'T live) I would love to have the option to SEE the last time an item was purchased and then delete all items that haven't been used in a certain amount of time. MANY of our items have images, so the export/cleanup/import concept doesn't really work for us. Besides, the export doesn't have the date last purchased, either. Please help us, Square!

Message 72 of 75

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @Tracy88 I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 73 of 75

I have been reading through the comments, to see if there have been any updates to deleting in bulk, and I can't seem to find any.   It also doesn't appear to be something you can do from the mobile app. Is this correct?

Message 74 of 75

Hello there @brandysue0921  

Yes, at this time Bulk deleting items is considered a Feature Request. We’d love it if you'd submit this request on our Ideate page for Square Point of Sale. Our team monitors these boards and we triage them to measure needs. You can search the boards to see if this has been requested before and add your use case if so!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 75 of 75