x

How to print barcode labels?

I did it once before but now I can't find the inventory tab on my dashboard. It only shows Items. What is an updated 2018 way to print your barcode labels through Square?

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey everyone! 🌸

You can print barcode labels when subscribed to Square for Retail Plus.

You can learn more about how to do so here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

How do you retailers using square print labels to use on your inventory? I am new to square and have a clothing and jewelry store, and we need barcodes to scan at checkout. Thank you! 

Message 2 of 41
Square

While this isn't something we've built yet, you could definitely use a third-party option to get this done. As it's not an in-house solution, meaning we can't guarantee compatibility, some sellers have had success using the Dymo 450 label printer. 

You might also check with this thread. Some other community members were discussing software solutions for generating SKUS. They might have some insight as well. 

(PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 41

Have they added this feature to the new Square Retail?

Message 4 of 41
Square

Hi @Emilous and welcome to the Seller Community. While this isn't currently a feature of Square Retail, it's definitely one of our top feature requests and something that's on our radar! We'll be sure to share future updates with you. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 41

I have had great success using Avery's Design and print online service. You can generate ean 8 barcodes using whatever 7 digits you like. It automatically fills in the 8th digit for reasons I don't understand. This system only works if you are selling items yourself, not wholesaling to others- you have to buy specific barcodes to do that. 

You can buy knockoff Avery labels from Amazon for a fraction of the price, and they still work well with their system. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FP27SXK/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in place of Avery 5167. These address labels are great - just enough space for a barcode and item description.

I also use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QXDNDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for when I need more information on the label- in my case I use these for ingredients as well as the barcode. 

Message 6 of 41

Can we print labels or use a third party to do that?

Message 7 of 41
Square

@Amanda23 - It looks like I helped another seller with a similar question. Check out this thread for more details. Also, welcome to the Seller Community! We're happy to have you. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 41

I have a long history and background in design, and I can tell you - the printing quality and speed of service is exceptional. Anyone who is disappointed with the quality, I can tell you for a fact is because of the choices they or their designer has made, not the printers. I Recommend www.cmykonline.com.au

Make sure you ask for paper samples and finish samples if you are unsure what your finished design will look like. I ordered a sample pack which made it very easy to choose a beautiful holographic foil on black card stock, which has a beautiful high quality texture.

I will keep going back, over and over.

Message 9 of 41
Square

@molly88 - Thanks a ton for the suggestion! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 41

Were you able to figure this out? We are new to Square also, purchased the Dymo label printer & when we plug into the USB it's not being recognized for set up on Square? We can however plug the printer into our USB on our personal laptop & labels print out fine?

Message 11 of 41

Hello @Jbctbb, you will create labels from your laptop rather than the Point of Sale App. So it sounds like you're on the right track already! 

Message 12 of 41

We are considering switching to Square POS for our co-op art gallery. It appears to have everything we need except the ability to print the price tags. We are a small operation and do not need all the additional features in Square Retail (or the cost) but we need to be able to easily print price tags/bar codes.

Message 13 of 41
Admin

Thanks for your interest in Squrae @valeriejh. I've merged your post into this thread so you can read Sean's Best Answer which has more information about how to print labels with a third-party application.

Unfortunately I don't have a timeline on when this might be available on Square Point of Sale in addition to Square for Retail. We'll update this thread as soon as we have any news! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 41

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Is it possible to print labels with tax included?" The author has been notified via email.

Thanks 

Message 15 of 41

it is in inventory management. from here you can create labels.   

Message 16 of 41
Admin

Hello @KarmaK!

@ellamae is right (thank you!) but you should also know that at this time you can only print bar code labels if you've subscribed to Square for Retail. When you've subscribed you'll see the Inventory Management tab that ellamae is referring to. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 17 of 41

Helen,

I am currently printing bar code price labels in Square POS.  However, even with the largest label size the price information is VERY small.  Can font size be adjusted anywhere?  Or is there a label option that customers can see better?

Thanks,

Russell

Message 18 of 41
Admin

@rhgarner1 There isnt a way to adjust the font size, but if it's so small it's illegible can you double check your printer settings as outlined in our Support Center

If you've already checked the settings can you let me know which printer and label size you're using? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 19 of 41

I currently do not use Square for Retail but I am exploring the option of using a barcode scanner. I can't figure out if I can print barcodes and use a scanner in POS or do I need to pay for the Retail version?

Message 20 of 41
Alumni

Hey @biltmore1 - I've merged your post with a thread on the same topic. Check out Helen's answer for more information.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 21 of 41