x
Admin

FAQ: Supported and Unsupported Business Types in Australia

EDIT: May 2021 Update

Payments support is now available for associations, clubs and NFPs who have an ABN. Read more here, thanks for your patience ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: 2021 Update

Work has commenced on building payments support for the following ABNs commonly used by clubs, associations and NFP organisations. While we don't have a set ETA for availability, we hope to launch support for these ABNs at some point in the first half of 2021:

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities

-----------------------

Iโ€™ve tried signing up with Square and received a message about my business type being unsupported for payments. Why am I receiving this message?

In Australia, different ABN entity types are subject to different regulatory requirements that determine eligibility to register for financial services such as electronic card payment processing. Due to the additional requirements for some entities, Square is not currently able to support all ABN entity types for payment processing.

What ABNs does Square support/not support?

ABNs we can on-board via the online signup process:

• Individual / Sole Trader
  • Partnerships
  • Private and Public Companies
  • Trusts (approx. 4 weeks processing)

ABNs we don't currently support

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities
  • Government Entities
  • Co-operatives
  • Any other entity type not listed as supported

I know someone who is using Square for their organisation - why canโ€™t you support mine now?

Square previously trialed a program that involved experimenting with different ways to support the manual onboarding and verification of business information so that certain organisations could be supported for payment processing. 

This trial proved challenging for both Square and the organisations involved due to the additional obligations Square needs to meet to comply with Australian regulatory requirements, and it is not scalable at this time. While we cannot support payment processing for you, remember Square can still work as a free point-of-sale application to record sales, manage inventory, run sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

When will it be possible for my organisation to use Square?

While we donโ€™t currently support your business type for payment processing, we can take your details and reach out to you if this changes in the future.

Iโ€™ve already purchased hardware, how can I get my money back?

If you have purchased hardware via the Square website, please visit our Support Centre to learn more about submitting a request for a refund. Alternatively, if you purchased Square hardware you can return it to the place of purchase with your receipt for a refund.

Can I just sign up as an individual or use another ABN rather than use my club/organisationโ€™s ABN?

As per our Terms of Service, we require you to provide accurate and complete information about the business or organisation youโ€™re taking payments for at the time of sign up. Setting up a Square account as an individual or different ABN would be in violation of our Terms of Service.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 217
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Associations, clubs and NFPs using either an โ€œOther Incorporated Entityโ€ or โ€œOther Unincorporated Entityโ€ ABN can now sign up for payments with Square ๐Ÿฅณ

For more information please check the following guides:

FAQ

I already started creating a Square account previously. How do I continue the sign up process?

Youโ€™ll need to log into your Square Dashboard, then click โ€œVerify information to start taking paymentsโ€. This will take you to the next step of the onboarding process, where youโ€™ll need to provide some personal information, before youโ€™ll be asked to supply more information about the club and its key position holders.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.43.09 am.png

When I log into my dashboard it comes up with a message saying โ€œYou have nothing to manageโ€.

This means youโ€™ve manually deactivated your account in the past. To reactivate it youโ€™ll need to call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Alternatively, you can simply sign up again using a different email address,

What information will I need to provide?

Other Incorporated Entity ABNS

Business information:

• Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN
  • Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
  • Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holderโ€™s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary (or equivalent positions) . For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individualโ€™s consent to provide this information to us.

Other Unincorporated Entity ABNS

Business Information:

• Provide basic business information, including the Unincorporated ABN. 
  • Provide Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent AGM minutes, showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holderโ€™s identity by providing the full name, current address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President, Treasurer, and Identify the Secretary. For this step, you will be asked to provide the full name, date of birth and residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association.

Why do I need to provide this information?

Square is obligated to request and verify the above information when onboarding clubs, associations and NFPs under the AML/CTF Act.

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 179 of 217
216 REPLIES 216

Another disappointed customer here. We purchased based on articles about how this could be used for not for profits! Now we are $59 out of pocket.

Are we able to return this even when the packaging has been opened to a retailer. I really think this should be more clear to your customers.

Very very disappointed!

Message 43 of 217

Hi Seamus,

Please keep me updated on the progress for support of Not-for-Profit Incorporated Associations.

I'm still looking for a solution to support over 50 not-for-profit groups in my local regional town

Message 44 of 217

This is very disappointing why don't you tell people before they sign up. I like others have gone to the effort and purchased equipment wasted time only to be told you don't support incorporated organisations our organisations money is as good as anyone's else. Shame on square very of putting i like others will be returning my machine for a refund.

Message 45 of 217

Hi,  I belong to an incorporated club and all we want to do is set up a  credit card  payment system for our members.  Firstly I tried to set up a Square account but we didn't have an ABN.  So I applied for an ABN for the club and we got one.  Set up the Square account only to find the  we were not supported  by square to take payments.  Lucky I hadn't bought the hardware yet.  Why is it a problem if you are an incorporated company.  We are registered with the Office of Fair Trading, get our books audited but not required to, but we can't accept  electronic credit card payments.  The club is trying to keep up with technology, and  trying to fit in with  a cashless society.  Very disappointed.

Message 46 of 217
Admin

Hey @Garden2,

Apologies for the disappointment!

I've moved your message to this thread, which covers the situation in detail.

I'll be updating this thread once we've got a solution in place for club-based ABNs! We're hoping to have this done in the first half of 2021, I'll ping you so you should be notified via email of any updates.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 47 of 217

Me too thanks.

Message 48 of 217
Admin

@Billustrious will do!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 49 of 217

We are a Not for Profit, have purchased 3 readers and docks and now have to try to return them all for a refund.  Beyond disappointed and dismayed that this has not been sorted out. 

Message 50 of 217

Hi Seamus, can you add us to the contact list too?

We are a parent run committee supporting Navy Cadets and fall under the unsupported business type.

Thanks

Rosie

Message 51 of 217
Admin

Will do @ntssheean - I'll ping everyone who has posted in this thread once I have an update!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 52 of 217

Can you please let me know when sporting clubs are supported to use Square. Thanks

Message 53 of 217
Beta Member

I get this message and don't know what to do now.

Does this mean that I cannot use this??

We do not currently support your selected business type for payment processing. We will contact you once your business type is supported. In the meantime, Square can work as your point-of-sale solution. You can record sales, manage inventory, run powerful sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

Message 54 of 217
Admin

Hey @KeysieCougars

I've moved your message to this thread which explains which ABNs we can and cannot support for payments at the moment. Unfortunately it sounds like your ABN type is not currently supported for payments. 

Long term, we're working on building a system to support ABNs commonly used by clubs, associations and NFPs that accommodates the additional regulatory requirements to sign those ABNs up for electronic payments.

I'll be tagging everyone in this thread once this is available, which will send an emailed notification. While I don't have an ETA for this, it's hopefully not too far away - we're aiming for the first half of 2021 and are working it at the moment.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 55 of 217

Hi Seamus in this thread you mention ABNs to be fixed by the first half of this year while you mentioned in another thread that this would be fixed in the first quarter of this year. So which one is it going to be because like many others if itโ€™s going to be the later I will be returning my machine so you need to justify this as being fixed in the first quarter or first half.

Message 56 of 217
Admin

Hey @debbrett,

We don't have a set ETA at the moment - essentially it will be ready when we have a finished and workable solution. I certainly hope we can make Q1 of 2021, however project timelines can shift and change for various reasons. Per my previous comments I've not suggested any definite timelines because development timelines are not set in stone. 

While I'm not sure which previous comment you're referring to here, if you can send me a link I'd gladly clarify my intended messaging. I'd certainly hope that my comments are not being perceived as definitive release dates, as I can only ever give an estimated ballpark based on how things are looking at the time of posting.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 57 of 217

Hi Seamus,

I really appreciate the way you respond so promptly to each comment on this site.  Are you able to explain briefly the nature of the difficulty in allowing associations etc to use the Square terminal?  Why is it harder than for a company or sole trader?

Thanks again,

clivey

Message 58 of 217
Admin

Hey @clivey,

The additional regulatory requirements for "Other Incorporated Entity" and "Other Unincorporated Entity" ABNs alluded to in the original post involves checks and ID verifications Square is required to perform under the Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act (2006). You can read more about these requirements here. We previously trailed doing this in a manual fashion, but this was not scalable on a wider level to meet the demand we were seeing.

For the ABNs we do officially support, it's a pretty simple process of linking to the Australian Business Register's API (Application Programming Interface) to obtain the required info. Unfortunately for other ABNs, the ownership/financial control structure isn't as straightforward or listed on the ABR and instead requires sourcing this information from various other places.

So without getting too technical, we're working on a system that aims at automating the process in a fashion similar to how it works for other ABNs. The caveat is that our existing API integration with the ABR won't cover this, so we need to build entirely new systems using different APIs from other government departments - all of which takes time and resources, engineering, requires regulatory approval etc.

That's about as far as I can go into the process, hopefully it gives a little more context though!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 59 of 217

Thanks Seamus.  Very helpful.  We all wish you speedy success!

Clivey

Message 60 of 217
Admin

Thanks @clivey, appreciate your support ๐Ÿ™‚

We're wanting to get this one out as quickly as possible too, and know how much our card readers and other products would be able to help clubs, associations and NFPs nation wide - especially in a post-COVID world.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 61 of 217

Hi, I'm wanting to be kept in the loop.  I just wish I knew before I bought the square products that Charities weren't supported.  I'm not sure if I'll get a refund but we do want to use square in the future so not really sure what to do.   Hopefully we will hear soon on the progress

Message 62 of 217
Admin

@BasketballSteve Regarding your post asking for more information on why, please see my post above here - this is the long and short of it!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 63 of 217