x
Admin

FAQ: Supported and Unsupported Business Types in Australia

EDIT: May 2021 Update

Payments support is now available for associations, clubs and NFPs who have an ABN. Read more here, thanks for your patience 🙂

EDIT: 2021 Update

Work has commenced on building payments support for the following ABNs commonly used by clubs, associations and NFP organisations. While we don't have a set ETA for availability, we hope to launch support for these ABNs at some point in the first half of 2021:

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities

-----------------------

I’ve tried signing up with Square and received a message about my business type being unsupported for payments. Why am I receiving this message?

In Australia, different ABN entity types are subject to different regulatory requirements that determine eligibility to register for financial services such as electronic card payment processing. Due to the additional requirements for some entities, Square is not currently able to support all ABN entity types for payment processing.

What ABNs does Square support/not support?

ABNs we can on-board via the online signup process:

• Individual / Sole Trader
  • Partnerships
  • Private and Public Companies
  • Trusts (approx. 4 weeks processing)

ABNs we don't currently support

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities
  • Government Entities
  • Co-operatives
  • Any other entity type not listed as supported

I know someone who is using Square for their organisation - why can’t you support mine now?

Square previously trialed a program that involved experimenting with different ways to support the manual onboarding and verification of business information so that certain organisations could be supported for payment processing. 

This trial proved challenging for both Square and the organisations involved due to the additional obligations Square needs to meet to comply with Australian regulatory requirements, and it is not scalable at this time. While we cannot support payment processing for you, remember Square can still work as a free point-of-sale application to record sales, manage inventory, run sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

When will it be possible for my organisation to use Square?

While we don’t currently support your business type for payment processing, we can take your details and reach out to you if this changes in the future.

I’ve already purchased hardware, how can I get my money back?

If you have purchased hardware via the Square website, please visit our Support Centre to learn more about submitting a request for a refund. Alternatively, if you purchased Square hardware you can return it to the place of purchase with your receipt for a refund.

Can I just sign up as an individual or use another ABN rather than use my club/organisation’s ABN?

As per our Terms of Service, we require you to provide accurate and complete information about the business or organisation you’re taking payments for at the time of sign up. Setting up a Square account as an individual or different ABN would be in violation of our Terms of Service.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 217
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Associations, clubs and NFPs using either an “Other Incorporated Entity” or “Other Unincorporated Entity” ABN can now sign up for payments with Square 🥳

For more information please check the following guides:

FAQ

I already started creating a Square account previously. How do I continue the sign up process?

You’ll need to log into your Square Dashboard, then click “Verify information to start taking payments”. This will take you to the next step of the onboarding process, where you’ll need to provide some personal information, before you’ll be asked to supply more information about the club and its key position holders.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.43.09 am.png

When I log into my dashboard it comes up with a message saying “You have nothing to manage”.

This means you’ve manually deactivated your account in the past. To reactivate it you’ll need to call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Alternatively, you can simply sign up again using a different email address,

What information will I need to provide?

Other Incorporated Entity ABNS

Business information:

• Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN
  • Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
  • Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary (or equivalent positions) . For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individual’s consent to provide this information to us.

Other Unincorporated Entity ABNS

Business Information:

• Provide basic business information, including the Unincorporated ABN. 
  • Provide Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent AGM minutes, showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing the full name, current address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President, Treasurer, and Identify the Secretary. For this step, you will be asked to provide the full name, date of birth and residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association.

Why do I need to provide this information?

Square is obligated to request and verify the above information when onboarding clubs, associations and NFPs under the AML/CTF Act.

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 179 of 217
216 REPLIES 216

You can’t . That’s the issue .  Non profit associations are not support by the square device . You can download the app , but it cannot process credit card payments - which is what we all need . Create an account through the square app and as soon as you put in the abn - it will send you a message that it’s not supported . I took my square back for a refund , it’s useless without credit card facilities! 

Message 169 of 217
Admin

@NBBC @treasurer4 I can't make any promises here, but I am very hopeful it will be. I'll be back in touch as soon as I have news I'm able to share.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 170 of 217

Hi Seamur, what's happening.  You wrote that you are working on a solution, however, I keep on seeing messages from you that basically say "be patient, we are working on it", but that was almost six months ago.  There are an enormous amount of NFPs that are desperately waiting for a solution.

Message 171 of 217

Hi Seamus - we would be very interested when you can support "other unincorporated entities" also ... hoping this is still going to happen before June 2021 ...

Message 172 of 217

I am also hoping before June 2021 so we can use the Government Digital Adaptation Grant to purchase a square register.

It expires June 30.  I don't want to purchase the register without knowing when NFP's will be supported.

Message 173 of 217

Can I use the square reader with other software to take payments? 

Message 174 of 217
Admin

@KristyMcWillia Square readers will only work with Square Accounts for payments acceptance.

If you're looking to take payments as an Other Incorporated Entity or Other Unincorporated Entity we hope to have more to announce here quite soon. I know it's frustrating to have to wait, but I can tag you once I have more news to share - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 175 of 217

We are also keen. Can we join the beta? 😄

Message 176 of 217
Admin

@tumc Will let you know once I have more info I'm able to share, and thank you for the interest 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 177 of 217
Admin

@tumc You should be able to sign up now! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 178 of 217
Admin

Best Answer

Associations, clubs and NFPs using either an “Other Incorporated Entity” or “Other Unincorporated Entity” ABN can now sign up for payments with Square 🥳

For more information please check the following guides:

FAQ

I already started creating a Square account previously. How do I continue the sign up process?

You’ll need to log into your Square Dashboard, then click “Verify information to start taking payments”. This will take you to the next step of the onboarding process, where you’ll need to provide some personal information, before you’ll be asked to supply more information about the club and its key position holders.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.43.09 am.png

When I log into my dashboard it comes up with a message saying “You have nothing to manage”.

This means you’ve manually deactivated your account in the past. To reactivate it you’ll need to call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Alternatively, you can simply sign up again using a different email address,

What information will I need to provide?

Other Incorporated Entity ABNS

Business information:

• Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN
  • Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
  • Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary (or equivalent positions) . For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individual’s consent to provide this information to us.

Other Unincorporated Entity ABNS

Business Information:

• Provide basic business information, including the Unincorporated ABN. 
  • Provide Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent AGM minutes, showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing the full name, current address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President, Treasurer, and Identify the Secretary. For this step, you will be asked to provide the full name, date of birth and residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association.

Why do I need to provide this information?

Square is obligated to request and verify the above information when onboarding clubs, associations and NFPs under the AML/CTF Act.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 179 of 217

Woo Hoo! 

Message 180 of 217
Admin

Association, club and NFP support is now available through Square! Please see the above post @LizT1 @DevoDog @zneturalla @treasurer4 @InterFC @Mirpay @Eureka @Richard63 @coobypc @VictorianDWK @WestcoastPhysie @focp2039 @rawlingi @hanky @tlccdarwin @Wombat @PDLTA @MjpMaceos @clivey @ianpocock @LittleTreeStudi @Dwcww @GCWAVE @Ashlea12 @37 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 181 of 217

Fantastic, thanks for that. Will progress application.

Message 182 of 217
Admin

Support is now available for clubs, associations and NFPs with Incorporated or Unincorporated Entity ABNs! Please see the above post 🙂

@NicholasP @debbrett @CCANthAdelaide @Billustrious @TOSC @ntssheean @Garden2   @avonvalleyshoto @HFS-Melbourne @avonvalleyshoto @monprent @BasketballSteve @KeysieCougars @HeyfieldTC @jcdm @tjovic @TrishK @DVBALL @1326 @KT21 @NASC-INC @Cemetery_Gal @jacktar @jumpjam 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 183 of 217

That's great news Seamus! Thanks for your patience. will jump on and progress.

Kind regards

Bill

Message 184 of 217

Thank you for the update Seamus - the footy club will be very happy to hear this.

Chris

Message 185 of 217
Admin

Support is now available for clubs, associations and NFPs with Incorporated or Unincorporated Entity ABNs! Please see the above post 🙂

@kirribillibiz @danc @LocalScoutGp @ellishousearts @Darrenscfc @Cncscc2021 @Mjilg2021 @TimORC @CoochieGolf @Ccchall @Piqo @kallaracali @Natalieuca @LPS-P_C @KnxWaterSkiClub 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 186 of 217
Admin

Support is now available for clubs, associations and NFPs with Incorporated or Unincorporated Entity ABNs! Please see the above post 🙂

@geekay @Claridge @SDAB @Lfnc @Nat3 @robross74 @Dsilvach @MillsyEDCC @MaddyW @hspslsc @PLNA @NBBC @ITPAustralia @jeanlou @yvonne2 @KristyMcWillia @tumc 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 187 of 217

Well that escalated quickly, 17 hours ago there wasnt any info available.

This is great news.

Message 188 of 217

Is the new system currently down? I keep getting an error message about a delay due to an unexpected third part outage??

Message 189 of 217