x
Admin

FAQ: Supported and Unsupported Business Types in Australia

EDIT: May 2021 Update

Payments support is now available for associations, clubs and NFPs who have an ABN. Read more here, thanks for your patience 🙂

EDIT: 2021 Update

Work has commenced on building payments support for the following ABNs commonly used by clubs, associations and NFP organisations. While we don't have a set ETA for availability, we hope to launch support for these ABNs at some point in the first half of 2021:

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities

-----------------------

I’ve tried signing up with Square and received a message about my business type being unsupported for payments. Why am I receiving this message?

In Australia, different ABN entity types are subject to different regulatory requirements that determine eligibility to register for financial services such as electronic card payment processing. Due to the additional requirements for some entities, Square is not currently able to support all ABN entity types for payment processing.

What ABNs does Square support/not support?

ABNs we can on-board via the online signup process:

• Individual / Sole Trader
  • Partnerships
  • Private and Public Companies
  • Trusts (approx. 4 weeks processing)

ABNs we don't currently support

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities
  • Government Entities
  • Co-operatives
  • Any other entity type not listed as supported

I know someone who is using Square for their organisation - why can’t you support mine now?

Square previously trialed a program that involved experimenting with different ways to support the manual onboarding and verification of business information so that certain organisations could be supported for payment processing. 

This trial proved challenging for both Square and the organisations involved due to the additional obligations Square needs to meet to comply with Australian regulatory requirements, and it is not scalable at this time. While we cannot support payment processing for you, remember Square can still work as a free point-of-sale application to record sales, manage inventory, run sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

When will it be possible for my organisation to use Square?

While we don’t currently support your business type for payment processing, we can take your details and reach out to you if this changes in the future.

I’ve already purchased hardware, how can I get my money back?

If you have purchased hardware via the Square website, please visit our Support Centre to learn more about submitting a request for a refund. Alternatively, if you purchased Square hardware you can return it to the place of purchase with your receipt for a refund.

Can I just sign up as an individual or use another ABN rather than use my club/organisation’s ABN?

As per our Terms of Service, we require you to provide accurate and complete information about the business or organisation you’re taking payments for at the time of sign up. Setting up a Square account as an individual or different ABN would be in violation of our Terms of Service.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 217
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Associations, clubs and NFPs using either an “Other Incorporated Entity” or “Other Unincorporated Entity” ABN can now sign up for payments with Square 🥳

For more information please check the following guides:

FAQ

I already started creating a Square account previously. How do I continue the sign up process?

You’ll need to log into your Square Dashboard, then click “Verify information to start taking payments”. This will take you to the next step of the onboarding process, where you’ll need to provide some personal information, before you’ll be asked to supply more information about the club and its key position holders.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.43.09 am.png

When I log into my dashboard it comes up with a message saying “You have nothing to manage”.

This means you’ve manually deactivated your account in the past. To reactivate it you’ll need to call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Alternatively, you can simply sign up again using a different email address,

What information will I need to provide?

Other Incorporated Entity ABNS

Business information:

• Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN
  • Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
  • Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary (or equivalent positions) . For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individual’s consent to provide this information to us.

Other Unincorporated Entity ABNS

Business Information:

• Provide basic business information, including the Unincorporated ABN. 
  • Provide Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent AGM minutes, showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing the full name, current address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President, Treasurer, and Identify the Secretary. For this step, you will be asked to provide the full name, date of birth and residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association.

Why do I need to provide this information?

Square is obligated to request and verify the above information when onboarding clubs, associations and NFPs under the AML/CTF Act.

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 179 of 217
216 REPLIES 216

We are a small NFP unincorporated sporting club who is currently unable to register for Square. However, our local Sports Club is an incorporated entity who may be eligible. If they were able to register, a number of smaller unincorporated clubs including our own would potentially be able to use the Square reader on sports days. However, if more than one of these entities uses Square on the day, are we able to link more than one bank account (each club having their own separate bank accounts and financials)?

Message 148 of 217
Admin

Hey @MaddyW,

Thanks for reaching out. I've moved your post to our existing thread on club payment support, so I can give you an update once we've launched this feature.

Under our terms of service and the relevant finance regulations, each entity would needs its own Square account tied to its own ABN. Hopefully you won't need to wait too much longer though, I'll get back in touch here once I'm able to share more.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 149 of 217

Joining this thread so I see when you are able to support sporting clubs - there is clearly a need for it. Thanks

Message 150 of 217

This is disappointing, as when i spoke to someone from Square in March this year, they indicated that it would be available toward the end of March.

Now from your message, it looks like Square has only just started to work on how incorporated bodies will be able to use the Square system.

i am hoping that the solution will be found quickly and all of these clubs and not-for-profits will be able to get on-board with Square, and help them generate revenue to keep them all financial, viable and providing the services they offer.

Message 151 of 217

It’s very disappointing, all the info researched beforehand recommends square . Then you setup the acct for an association and relies its unsupported :(. I also phoned square a few days ago - she said couldn’t give me a timeline , the pilot programming is no longer running , so go take it back to place of purchase for a refund .   So I did .    My charity will have to continue with cash sales unfortunately. 

Message 152 of 217

Worried that Square stated "the pilot programming is no longer running" all the Square responses on this thread indicate that this plan is still moving forwards.  @Seamus  - can you confirm that the plan remains to support clubs and not for profits at some point this year?  Rob

Message 153 of 217
Admin

@robross74 - Yes, we're still working on a solution and I hope to have more to share here very soon!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 154 of 217

@Nat3 

I had the same problem. The wait was just too long with no realistic date in sight for NFPs to be given access to Square. Our NFP and many others have reached out to Tyro and been given access to their services. We are up and running. Tyro permanently waived their ongoing monthly fees with a 1.9% charge billed monthly. It works very well for us and we're really happy. I suggest looking further afield, there is an answer to your dilemma, sadly not with Square at this time.

Message 155 of 217

Do Tyro, have a POS type option attached?

Message 156 of 217

You can set up a POS option using a free version of Loyverse. Google it. I run Loyverse on an iPad mini and pair it to the Tyro machine through the internet. It runs well, produces reports for end of day sales etc for Tyro and Cash Sales. It can be customised for your individual needs. There's Youtube videos explaining how to do it. and Loyverse help pages on their website.
We use it for our Bunnings fundraisers and other club activities.

Message 157 of 217

Thanks for the info , our fundraising cannot support having tyro unfortunately. The way square treat their potential customers - I’m reluctant to go that way either if and when they get going .  It’s a shame not another company has seen the market niche ! 

Message 158 of 217

Hi, 

Just so that I can confirm the information. It says we are still eligible for POS? Does this mean we could have access to an POS for our sporting clubs canteen, but not do monthly invoices? 

I am having a little difficulty understanding the message as it says Square can work as your point of sale solution? In what capacity? 

Message 159 of 217
Admin

Hey @PLNA,

Point of Sale software and merchant terminals for card payments are traditionally two seperate products that would be supplied by seperate companies, both playing different roles in helping run a business. Square combines both of these into one - a merchant processing facility that pairs with a free Point of Sale app.

If your end goal is to just take card payments, unfortunately Square won't be the right solution for you at the moment (though we're working on a solution and hope to have more to announce soon).

Outside of card payment processing, Square's Point of Sale app is software you can use to run your business, record cash sales, even manually record payments made on a different merchant processing terminal. This functionality will still be available to you should you wish to use it. Some businesses use Square's Point of Sale app to help run their business without using Square as a card payment processor. This may not be relevant for you, however that's what is meant by using Square as a Point of Sale solution. Hope this clears things up!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 160 of 217

If your clubs is an association (ABN business type will show this ) square will not work for you as a point of sale . The app will still do some business functions , invoices etc - but the card reader will not take credit card payments . Which is why we all would need it ... 

Message 161 of 217

Hi, I have just spent $800 of a small sporting club's budget buying 3 square readers and 3 mobile phones to use with them only to find that square does not support our business type. Can you tell me when it will? as am probably unable to return the mobiles for a refund.

Message 162 of 217
Admin

Hey @yvonne2,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you've hit the "Unsupported Entity Type" messaging.

I've moved your thread to the main post we have on this, so I can ping you once we go live with payments support for:

Other Incorporated Entity
Other Unincorporated Entity

I don't have an ETA to share, however it is getting close to launch. We're currently testing and I hope to have more news in the next few weeks rather than months.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 163 of 217

Please add me to the list too, I'm hoping to get square for our School's P&C activities. Many Thanks!

Message 164 of 217

I seem to be going around in circles. I've found the details around the types of non-profits supported, but no details about how to actually set it up.

I also want to know if there are any discounts with processing payments etc as we are a very small charity for a rare disease.

Thanks in advance.

Message 165 of 217
Admin

Hey @ITPAustralia,

I've moved your post to this thread - please take a read over the original post for more information on which ABNs we are able to support for card payments at the moment.

We're working on a new way for most NFP-based ABNs to sign up with Square. It's not yet launched, but it's not far off. I'll be tagging everyone in this thread once a solution is available - as long as your ABN entity type is "Other Incorporated Entity" or "Other Unincorporated Entity".

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help! Please let me know if I've misunderstood or if your ABN entity type is not one covered in the original post in this thread.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 166 of 217

Thanks @Seamus . We're a registered Company Limited by Guarantee and not an incorporated/unincorporated association as we work right across Australia. Does this make a difference?

Message 167 of 217
Admin

@ITPAustralia yes, this will make a difference - it sounds like the ABN not being supported for payments may not actually be the issue here. I tried looking for your ABN on the ABN search website and I think I found you - assuming I have the right listing, if your entity type is "Australian Public Company" then the ABN should be supported for payments.

We don't currently have any special rates for processing unfortunately, however support may be able to help further with the issue you're seeing trying to set up the account - it sounds like the ABN entity type may not be a blocker in your instance.

You can call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Go to "Other"" then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 168 of 217