x
Admin

FAQ: Supported and Unsupported Business Types in Australia

EDIT: May 2021 Update

Payments support is now available for associations, clubs and NFPs who have an ABN. Read more here, thanks for your patience 🙂

EDIT: 2021 Update

Work has commenced on building payments support for the following ABNs commonly used by clubs, associations and NFP organisations. While we don't have a set ETA for availability, we hope to launch support for these ABNs at some point in the first half of 2021:

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities

-----------------------

I’ve tried signing up with Square and received a message about my business type being unsupported for payments. Why am I receiving this message?

In Australia, different ABN entity types are subject to different regulatory requirements that determine eligibility to register for financial services such as electronic card payment processing. Due to the additional requirements for some entities, Square is not currently able to support all ABN entity types for payment processing.

What ABNs does Square support/not support?

ABNs we can on-board via the online signup process:

• Individual / Sole Trader
  • Partnerships
  • Private and Public Companies
  • Trusts (approx. 4 weeks processing)

ABNs we don't currently support

• Other Incorporated Entities
  • Other Unincorporated Entities
  • Government Entities
  • Co-operatives
  • Any other entity type not listed as supported

I know someone who is using Square for their organisation - why can’t you support mine now?

Square previously trialed a program that involved experimenting with different ways to support the manual onboarding and verification of business information so that certain organisations could be supported for payment processing. 

This trial proved challenging for both Square and the organisations involved due to the additional obligations Square needs to meet to comply with Australian regulatory requirements, and it is not scalable at this time. While we cannot support payment processing for you, remember Square can still work as a free point-of-sale application to record sales, manage inventory, run sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

When will it be possible for my organisation to use Square?

While we don’t currently support your business type for payment processing, we can take your details and reach out to you if this changes in the future.

I’ve already purchased hardware, how can I get my money back?

If you have purchased hardware via the Square website, please visit our Support Centre to learn more about submitting a request for a refund. Alternatively, if you purchased Square hardware you can return it to the place of purchase with your receipt for a refund.

Can I just sign up as an individual or use another ABN rather than use my club/organisation’s ABN?

As per our Terms of Service, we require you to provide accurate and complete information about the business or organisation you’re taking payments for at the time of sign up. Setting up a Square account as an individual or different ABN would be in violation of our Terms of Service.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 217
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Associations, clubs and NFPs using either an “Other Incorporated Entity” or “Other Unincorporated Entity” ABN can now sign up for payments with Square 🥳

For more information please check the following guides:

FAQ

I already started creating a Square account previously. How do I continue the sign up process?

You’ll need to log into your Square Dashboard, then click “Verify information to start taking payments”. This will take you to the next step of the onboarding process, where you’ll need to provide some personal information, before you’ll be asked to supply more information about the club and its key position holders.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.43.09 am.png

When I log into my dashboard it comes up with a message saying “You have nothing to manage”.

This means you’ve manually deactivated your account in the past. To reactivate it you’ll need to call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Alternatively, you can simply sign up again using a different email address,

What information will I need to provide?

Other Incorporated Entity ABNS

Business information:

• Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN
  • Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
  • Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary (or equivalent positions) . For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individual’s consent to provide this information to us.

Other Unincorporated Entity ABNS

Business Information:

• Provide basic business information, including the Unincorporated ABN. 
  • Provide Annual General Meeting (AGM) minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent AGM minutes, showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Personal Information:

• Verify the account holder’s identity by providing the full name, current address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
  • Verify the President, Treasurer, and Identify the Secretary. For this step, you will be asked to provide the full name, date of birth and residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association.

Why do I need to provide this information?

Square is obligated to request and verify the above information when onboarding clubs, associations and NFPs under the AML/CTF Act.

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 179 of 217
216 REPLIES 216

yes we are incorporated 

Message 127 of 217

I represent a school P&C and was about to purchase 6 readers for our upcoming major fundraiser, and set up a square site to take online sales. Apparently we are "unsupported", but I have found square sites for several other P&C Associations in NSW. How have they been able to do it? Do you have a timeframe yet on rolling out to incorporated assocs?

Message 128 of 217

Hi,

Is there any update on when Other Incorporated entities etc will have the ability to use the payment system?

Thanks

Angela

Message 129 of 217

I just managed to call and speak to an actual human.. she advised no ETA... sometime this year hopefully in the first half... not very helpful

Message 130 of 217

We are an Incorporated Non Profit Organisation but cannot join.

Why??

Message 131 of 217
Admin

Hey @geekay,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've moved your post to this thread, which has an explanation and FAQ on the types of business Square can and can't support for payments right now.

Support for ABNs commonly used by NFPs is coming soon! We'll notify once we have more to share here, and sorry we can't help more in the meantime!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 132 of 217

Thank you for your interest.

We do not currently support your selected business type for payment processing. We will contact you once your business type is supported. In the meantime, Square can work as your point-of-sale solution. You can record sales, manage inventory, run powerful sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

Message 133 of 217
Admin

Hey @CCC21,

I've moved your post to this thread, please see the original post here for more info.

Support for some new ABNs is coming soon, check the top of the original post to see if yours will be covered!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 134 of 217

Hi 

When I applied last year as an Incorporated Association, you were not able to support us. However, I know of many Incorporated Associations in Tasmania that now have Square for OPOS transactions. Have you changed your policy?

If not when can we sign up?

Thanks Brian Claridge

Message 135 of 217
Admin

Hey @Claridge,

We're hoping to launch support in the next few months - at some point in the first half of 2021! Hopefully it's not too far away, we'll update you via this thread once available!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 136 of 217

Any new news/updates on building payments processing for non-profits?

Message 137 of 217
Admin

Hey @SDAB,

Thanks for reaching out!

The most up to date info available is via the edit at the top of the main post - we're in the process of building a solution and hope to launch within the first half of 2021 👍

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 138 of 217

Hi Seamus, is there an update as to how the system is going for 1st half of 2021? We’ve just purchased and realised this isn’t going to work however can wait if there’s an update coming. Cheers Steve

Message 139 of 217
Admin

Sorry @Lfnc, I don't have any updates and likely won't until we officially launch support for more ABNs.

If in doubt, I'd encourage you to return any Square hardware you've purchased - you can always purchase again in the future once we are able to onboard associations/NFPs for payments.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 140 of 217

just wondering if you are any closer to supporting the association business types, as the last thread mentions first half of 2021 ?

thanks 

Message 141 of 217

Look back at post 115. You don't have to wait.

Message 142 of 217

Hi Seamus, now that we are halfway through 21H1 are you able to update us on the timeline for this project to support Other Incorporated Entities?  Thanks,  Rob

Message 143 of 217
Admin

Hey @robross74,

I don't have any more information that I'm able to share at the moment unfortunately - Square doesn't publicise product development timelines, and they are always subject to change.

I can confirm we're still working on it and are hoping to launch in the first half of 2021, and as soon as I'm able to share more news this thread will be the first place I come to!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 144 of 217

I have purchased all the gear to set up Square for my cricket club in September.

Once all set up I couldn't proceed, so I contacted Square and they informed me that the problem should be sorted early in the New Year, has this happened yet?

I kept the equipment, thinking this was going to happen, has the Club done it's money?

Shane M

Message 145 of 217
Admin

Hey @MillsyEDCC,

I've moved your post to this thread to notify you of when we launch support for club-based ABNs - we're not quite there yet but I'm hoping to have more to announce in the near future.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 146 of 217

Thanks

Message 147 of 217