x
Beta Member

Reader won’t pair. Update required

Hi I have an iPad air 4th generation. When I pair a contactless & chip reader, it says update requires. Please update Point of Sale.

Both the device & the Square App are updated

Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @VikBingley and @cam_inc,

I can confirm this is definitely an issue with the 14.5 iOS Beta. The issue will be resolved once iOS14.5 goes live, however for now in order to continue using Square reader you'd unfortunately need to roll back to the public 14.4 release!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 26
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi, Arie. I eventually got the reader paired properly by following these instructions I found elsewhere:

1. Ensure that the Square application has permission to access location services "Always" or "When using" > under device Settings > scroll down on left side to Square > Location
2. Make sure Bluetooth is toggled off for any device that has connected to the reader in the past.

Once that's done run through these steps in this order:

1. In the Square Point of Sale App go to Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > Forget all card readers
2. Force-quit Point of Sale App
3. Open Device settings
4. Navigate to Bluetooth
5. Forget all Square Readers
6. Hold the button on the Reader until the lights flash red
7. Reboot the Device
8. Re-launch Point of Sale app, wait about 1 minute, and re-pair the Reader

And all is well, we can take payments again!

View Best Answer >

Message 21 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Admin

Thanks for reporting back @petersmith, good to know these steps worked!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 22 of 26

Amazing! Thank you. That worked for me!

Message 23 of 26

I’m having this problem now! I have followed the instructions from Petersmith and it is still asking me for an update. Everything is up to date and I still can’t accept contactless payments with my square reader. I have a market on the weekend and need help please!!

Message 24 of 26
Admin

Hey @Stacey-May,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Please try these steps. Be sure to follow each one carefully, or they may not help fix the issue.

1) Forget the reader from anywhere it appears in your Bluetooth settings and also the Square app (via Settings > Hardware > Square Reader)

2) Hold down the button until the lights completely STOP flashing red. This performs a hard reset on the reader

3) Turn your mobile device off and back on

4) Once you've reset the reader and your mobile device, try connecting the reader again (via the Square POS app and NOT your device Bluetooth settings) then running a $1 test transaction on your own card as per the instructions here.

Let me know at which point you're getting stuck and we'll see if we can get things going!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 25 of 26

Have updated to 15.5 and card reader will not connect. Have followed all the steps above but it still will not work. 

Message 26 of 26