x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

Hello @JAM1907, I went ahead and merged your thread since this question has been asked a few times. Currently we do not offer the ability to delete a transaction. If you were able to delete your transactions you could potentially cook your books to owe less money to the IRS. 

In your situation I recommend signing your members up for their own accounts. You can still take payments on their behalf, but they have their own reporting and transactions. 

Message 295 of 352

Please add me to the list.  I just created my account and did some test transactions to see how everything worked.  Now - I have rubbish that I can not delete or void.

Message 296 of 352
Super Seller Alumni

One thing you can do is to create another location and use it for your business going forward, and deactivate your current location.  The old location will never go away, but you can ignore it for practical purposes.  It's a pain, but as a previous reply stated, it's Square's way of making it harder for unscrupulous businesses from avoiding their tax obligations.

Judy T Shumway
Message 297 of 352

I also need to delete practice transactions.  We did around 30 practice cash transactions for around $1,000 yesterday to learn how to use the square.

We're happy with the product, and ready to go.

However,  if what I'm reading on this three year old thread is true, that these practice transactions have to stay on the account, FOREVER... then I need to know now because that's completely unacceptable (and ridiculously incompetent).

So can someone verify that 3 years later, this is still an issue?  If it is I'm switching to PayPal or another POS immediately before we open for business.

Message 298 of 352
Super Seller Alumni

It is still true that you cannot delete transactions in Square.  What you can do is to open a different location under the same account for use with your actual business, then when you need to practice, switch to your current location and just disregard all transactions in that location.

Judy T Shumway
Message 299 of 352

Ok I'll give that a shot, are there instructions online how to do this?

Message 300 of 352
Super Seller Alumni

Here's the link to Square's location site.  You'll find everything you need to know there.

Judy T Shumway
Message 301 of 352

I am trying to delete a row of 10 “no sale” transactions, one of our staff accidentally ran many no sale transactions while attempting to use the handheld machine and now it will skew the Number is Transactions

Message 302 of 352
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Shopvale! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community on deleting transactions.

At this time, you cannot delete any transaction taken but it's a popular feature request we're tracking here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 303 of 352

Is there a way to disable the No Sale feature? The handheld is so sensitive and none of us even know how these No Sale like items are being added to our transaction lists. 

Message 304 of 352
Square Community Moderator

@Shopvale Unfortunately there isn't.

No sale transactions are most likely coming from employees not selecting an item and just inputting the amount for the sale. 

Ashley C
Message 305 of 352

I don't know why is this topic is still buzzing.. It's been more than 4 years since 2016. That's crazy.

Do you guys on the management / product owner even work? And handle what users want? Like in this topic is "account testing for Learning purpose"?

Any division on the company to handle this kind of question? Seems like never ending topic..

I'm sorry to say, but This is not a good sign of good apps. You guys create an apps from what user needs, not to force users to use like what company wants.

If any solution already, Post it well! so people don't keep coming to ask the same question.

Message 306 of 352

Yes I second that! I see that a lot of users have been asking this and don’t understand how these no sales even happen. It’s frustrating not to be able to delete accidental or test runs. 

in our case these were accidentally entered in. None of the 5 people on our sales team have purposely entered a sales transaction that is a “$0” dollar amount and it doesn’t make sense not to be able to delete these transactions.

Message 307 of 352

That's why I quit using square since April...

Message 308 of 352

This feature needs to be put in. 

Square, you're a tool, not my mother. I don't care whatever reason you have not to include this feature. I tested with dummy products with cash and now I have "sales" that show up in my analytics.

Fix this.

Message 309 of 352

I was just testing out the system and ran a card.  I just want to completely cancel it out. 

Message 310 of 352
Alumni

Hello @TheVaultHealth - I went ahead and merged your post with an existing thread, as this question has been asked here in the Community. We don't offer the ability to delete or cancel transactions. I recommend refunding this transaction if you'd like to return the funds to the credit card you ran.

Valentina
Message 311 of 352

I made a mistake and I have add a payment to the wrong consumer. I just want to delete that payment but I cant fond how ... 

Sorry for asking such a really basic question in professional  forum ... 

Message 312 of 352
Alumni

Hello @christiangirard - this question has been asked here in the Seller Community, so I've gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread.

You will not be able to delete or cancel payments. I recommend processing a refund for the payment accepted under the incorrect customer name, if you'd like to record the payment under the correct customer's name.

Valentina
Message 313 of 352

This answer seems like it's on a clipboard and that square intends to do nothing about it after 4 years of the same excuse. I have processed millions and been a loyal customer since 2010. Recently my technician processed an erroneous "CASH" transaction for $999,999. I promise we did not close a Dope deal with the Sinaloa cartel. We refunded the transaction and marked it as accidental charge as there was no way to "delete" the transaction. Voiding is not possible according to customer care since it is not a CC transaction. The screwed up part is that our reporting metrics are completely out of wack. Sales are not up 7777%. If you can add transaction you should be able to deleted transactions or at least void them so that are not accounted for in the reporting feature. I think I pay enough every year to square to demand you fix this like everyone else on this thread after 4 years. You've done nothing which means you're not listening to customers. Don't give me a compliance with IRS answer either because you're only required to report CC transactions on the 1099K. Cash processing is the responsibility of the business owner to report accurately. My guess is there is no motivation to fix something that doesn't "make you money". Seems rather short sided as this simple functionality would be critical to any POS software. I will publicly post this response on Twitter and Facebook everyday until it's fixed. I promise you I'm not the only one with this grievance, as evidence by this 4 year old post. 

Message 314 of 352

Completely pathetic response from Square. This is a company with a decent product but Zero care for customers. And it’s over priced.

ive seen many companies like this slowly lose market share and go away. Remember Blackberry? 

an easy fix to a problem many struggle with and we hear nothing but Crickets from Square.

Message 315 of 352