x
Admin

Discounts Product Team Q&A: Ask us anything about Discounts!

On October 27th, 2021, our Discounts product team hosted a Q&A focused on sellers who use Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, Appointments, and Invoices.

Acacia50439_Stand_A11_Pumpkins_TB_01_sRGB_Medium.jpg

We're aware that many sellers have questions and requests related to setting up discounts within the mobile app as well as the online Square Dashboard. We appreciated learning about what's going well and where there is room for improvement. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the posts that came through on this thread are incorporated into the decision process. 

A few example questions:

• What's the best way to set up a discount for a limited time sale?
  • What's the best way to manage my discounts if I have multiple product bundle offerings?
  • I need a discount that does "______" — what is your best suggestion?
  • I wish I had "______" reporting for my discounts.
️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 178
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope some of your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

We wanted to do a recap on the themes that came up frequently:

• Top asks that have got our attention and we hope we can address soon - Exempt Items or Categories from a discount, Square Online Discounts do not yet sync with the Square Discounts in Items Library, restrict Stacking of discounts
  • Auto Discounts - Many of the use cases shared could benefit from auto discounting. Square offers a strong suite of auto discounting features around Item/Category discounts, Quantity based Discounts, Customer based discounts. We would love to hear more from you if there are any gaps in the auto discounting flow that we can solve for. Please send a Private Message to @divyar if you would like to talk further.

Here are a few important links that you may find useful. How to create Discounts video, Discounts FAQ, Create and Manage Discounts

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.   

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

View Best Answer >

Message 157 of 178
177 REPLIES 177
Square

Hi @GraniteOak,

I want to understand your use case a bit better. Are you hoping for a buyer to add the discount themselves on your booking page, through the use of a discount code for example?

Kyle Woodlock
Engineering Manager, Square
Message 106 of 178
Beta Member

@kwoodlock ,  I would like the ability to create a discount code that a customer could use  when scheduling an appointment instead of having to create a new service and hide the full price one.  It would also be nice to let customers use gift cards on checkout as well.

Message 107 of 178
Beta Member

I wish I could add a discount for specific VIP customers. I have 2 levels of customer that get either 10% or 15% off all items all year based on their Holiday order volume. I would be great to add a permanent discount to a customer profile.

Message 108 of 178
Super Seller

Hi @Marnie1 

I have made a similar request before in another post. 

Alex Jessey
Message 109 of 178
Square

Hi @Marnie1 and @amjessey

We offer an auto-discount feature for Customer Groups that can be created on Dashboard; you can create them from Customer Directory and Discounts. If you create your 2 VIP groups in your directory, you can create an auto-applied discount for each group. Learn how here

Would like to hear more about the “Holiday order volume” piece of this use case. Can you tell us more?

Message 110 of 178
Beta Member

I have Square for Retail and would appreciate the following discount capabilities:

• Ability to exclude certain items from discounting
  • Apply a discount based on dollar amount spent (similar to current discount based on quantity purchased)
  • Add a free item to an order over a specific dollar amount (ex: free tote bag for orders of $50 plus)

Thank you!

Message 111 of 178
Beta Member

YES!!!  We give a free tote bag for purchases over $100, and otherwise sell them for $3.  Right now, we have to add the item in, then discount it, in order to keep track of inventory.  Would love to be able to add it automatically to the order and track it properly in inventory without relying on my cashiers to add it properly.

Message 112 of 178
Square

Hi @BookshopMeg,

• Exclude certain items from discounting: this functionality is not currently available but we have heard this request from many sellers and will be evaluating it for our roadmap.
  • Discounting by minimum spend amount: this feature is coming very soon.
  • Free tote bag: thank you for the feature suggestion! It is not on our roadmap but we will certainly evaluate it. If you had minimum-spend discounts available, would this partially cover your need? E.g. "100% off tote bag on orders more than $50" – you would still have to add the tote bag, but the discount would apply automatically. @beefolks – this one also to yours.

Thanks for the feedback, I'd love to hear more!

Kyle Woodlock
Message 113 of 178
Beta Member

I think the minimum spend would resolve the issue for us!

Message 114 of 178
Super Seller

How can we create advanced discount rules that adhere to two or more variables as explained here?

Thank you

Alex Jessey
Message 115 of 178
Square

Hi @amjessey,

This is on our roadmap to offer in our first-party products. This can already be achieved through our third-party developer API, documentation for which can be found here ... But for sellers who want to configure these discounts via Dashboard or Point of Sale, that functionality is coming.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 116 of 178
Beta Member

I really need the discounts for the online square website to match the discounts in the square register.  When is that expected to happen?  It is the only thing holding me back from repointing my web address to square online, and I was hoping it would be in time for the holiday season.

Message 117 of 178
Square

Hi @beefolks,

We are actively working on merging the discounts offered online and in person. While I cannot speculate on the final delivery date, I can say that it won't be available this year. Can you share what your biggest pain point is here? Is it in the way discounts apply to the sale, the way they appear in your sales reports, something else? We'd like to know what the biggest pain points are for sellers so we can prioritize features appropriately.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 118 of 178
Super Seller

When are we going to be able to create an invoice with a £0 value?

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests-Point-of-Sale/How-do-you-create-an-invoice-with-...

Thank you.

Alex Jessey
Message 119 of 178
Square

Hi @amjessey,

I don't know the answer to your question but I'll forward this feedback along to the Invoices team.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 120 of 178
Super Seller

Please do. It's been a long time without any comment from your Invoices team on this point and it would be good to hear when this very basic functionality is going to be built.

Thank you.

Alex Jessey
Message 121 of 178
Beta Member

Hello! 

I have a small salon and am trying to figure out the best way to bundle products together to create a gift pack for holidays or just move product. 

I would like to create a discount that I could add 3 products together and it would create a discount to it whether its online or in store. Ideally if it could automatically add the discount to it. I was looking at the "Discount Rules" as I've used them before for other discounts but wasn't sure which direction to go with this one. 

Message 122 of 178
Square

Hi @meggyj113,

Square offers the ability to create volume-based automatic discounts that will apply in-store (like 20% off 3 of some category of items). These discounts are not yet available on your online storefront, but we are actively working on closing that gap.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 123 of 178
Beta Member

I'd like it if the discounts did NOT stack.  We have a several straight up % discounts and others that are essentially BOGO.  If a customer buys the BOGO item and qualifies for the % discount, the BOGO discount is increased by the % UNLESS the % discount is applied to each individual item rather than the entire sale (hence, the % discount increases).  When the discounts automatically stack, my already slim margin shrinks.  

I'd also like to add categories but exclude items within categories because it is often easier to exclude items or categories than to include them.  

The whole process of setting up discounts is frustrating. 

Message 124 of 178
Square

Hi @mythicrunning,

Am I understanding correctly that you are combining an automatic BOGO discount with a manually-applied % discount? Can these other discounts be represented as an automatic discount in some way (like turn an employee discount into a customer group based auto discount)? This would prevent the discounts from stacking on the same items.

We are starting work to make discount stacking more configurable, so it would be very helpful for us to understand your use case.

Another question: let's say there is a 20% discount applied to a purchase that also has a BOGO discount. Would you want the 20% discount excluded from the discounted item in the BOGO only, or from both the discounted item and the full-price qualifying item?

We have heard loud and clear from you and other sellers that you want the ability to exclude certain items from getting discounts, and we'll evaluate this as a feature.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 125 of 178
Beta Member

Can a customer use more than one discount or coupon for an online order?

Message 126 of 178