x
Admin

Discounts Product Team Q&A: Ask us anything about Discounts!

On October 27th, 2021, our Discounts product team hosted a Q&A focused on sellers who use Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, Appointments, and Invoices.

Acacia50439_Stand_A11_Pumpkins_TB_01_sRGB_Medium.jpg

We're aware that many sellers have questions and requests related to setting up discounts within the mobile app as well as the online Square Dashboard. We appreciated learning about what's going well and where there is room for improvement. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the posts that came through on this thread are incorporated into the decision process. 

A few example questions:

• What's the best way to set up a discount for a limited time sale?
  • What's the best way to manage my discounts if I have multiple product bundle offerings?
  • I need a discount that does "______" — what is your best suggestion?
  • I wish I had "______" reporting for my discounts.
️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 178
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope some of your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

We wanted to do a recap on the themes that came up frequently:

• Top asks that have got our attention and we hope we can address soon - Exempt Items or Categories from a discount, Square Online Discounts do not yet sync with the Square Discounts in Items Library, restrict Stacking of discounts
  • Auto Discounts - Many of the use cases shared could benefit from auto discounting. Square offers a strong suite of auto discounting features around Item/Category discounts, Quantity based Discounts, Customer based discounts. We would love to hear more from you if there are any gaps in the auto discounting flow that we can solve for. Please send a Private Message to @divyar if you would like to talk further.

Here are a few important links that you may find useful. How to create Discounts video, Discounts FAQ, Create and Manage Discounts

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.   

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

View Best Answer >

Message 157 of 178
177 REPLIES 177
Beta Member

I am looking for a member discount for my pet store, I would like to offer a discount to Rewards Members only on things like buy 10 of this products or service and get this discount on the 11th.

Scanable discounts like manufacturer coupons would be a great add on as well.

Message 43 of 178
Community Team

Hi @PetCentral,

Redeeming a discount over multiple sale transactions is not yet supported. We do support the manufacturer coupons use case but not as a scannable feature. Would like to understand more on why the scanning part becomes important for you.

Message 44 of 178
Beta Member

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to address why scanning a discount code is important.  I have a coupon in  a local paper that gives a discount based on the purchase . I have 2 different coupons presently .... Buy 5 get 1 free and $5 off a $35 purchase. Were I applying this discount to all purchases, this would be easy. However currently it is quite time consuming for my employees to go in an find the items and apply the discount. This is a feature I see requested over and over on these boards for at least the past 6 years and keep hoping it will be implemented, but it doesnt. Honestly, its a point that has made me consider changing my POS as we grow larger. 

Message 45 of 178

I can't speak for the pet store, but we have several different coupons that we use in different advertising mediums.  If we could scan the coupons, we would be able to set up different codes for the different sources of advertising we use.  This will allow us to determine where to spend our advertising dollars.  In addition, it will allow better accuracy, quicker check out and an all around better customer experience.

Message 46 of 178
Super Seller

For this you would want to set up a Quantity discount as described in the video attached.  I have this type of setup for my by 12 get one Free and it works great.

I also have it setup for another category that if you buy 2 the price drops and if 3 of these are bought price drops again.  Buy 1 at $15, 2 for $12.50 each, buy 3 for $11 each.

her is the video from Square:

Square Discounts 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 47 of 178
Super Seller

How do on POS do I give a 100% Discount for Giftcards at $25.00 for lapsed customers and $50.00 for returning top 10 customers for the holidays?

René 

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 48 of 178
Community Team

Hi @GourmetOnWheels, 

Thank you for your feedback. While we cannot share the release date, we are working to make auto discounts apply on gift cards.

Message 49 of 178
Super Seller

@divyar I m not looking for auto discounts. I want to use some of my gift cards to entice lapsed customers to come back by snail-mailing them a $25.00 gift card and by the end of the year I will give my top 15 customers a $50.00 gift card.

But if I load the gift card with 25.00 or 50.00. And there is no 100% discount.

It will be a sale, but I will give it for free so it is not a sale

Message 50 of 178
Super Seller Alumni

@GourmetOnWheels Are you asking how to run a "free" physical gift card through the system? If so, you ring it up like normal for whatever amount you want, apply 100% off and hit "Charge $0.00" on the POS. It still has whatever value you loaded it for. We use this for any customer service issues we are trying to make right.

Craft Beer Pub & Pizza Spot
Village of Manlius, NY

http://awwander.com
IG: @awwander
FB: @awwandermanlius
Message 51 of 178
Super Seller

Tried on my iPhone but does not work

Thanks for looking into it for me

René

Message 52 of 178

How do we apply a discount to the same order more than once?  We own a coffeehouse and we sell reusable travel cups.  If the customer brings their cup back, we give them a $0.25 discount off their drink and often times 2 or more people in the same party bring their cups back.  We can only apply the $0.25 discount once even though they are using 3 different cups to purchase 3 different drinks and therefore we should be taking the discount off 3 times.

Message 53 of 178
Super Seller

What I have setup for something similar is multiple versions of the discount.  Like 1 mug discount $.25, 2 mug discount $.50, 3 mug discount $.75, etc and choose the right discount.

Message 54 of 178
Community Team

Hi @sweetaroma, 

Thank you for sharing your use case with us. The solution suggested by @VankalkerFarms is a great one. You can also set up this rule using our item or quantity based auto discounts. You might have to set up a different item name as ‘bring-your-own-cup’ coffee. Another work around is variable discount amount which will allow you to enter the discount amount during checkout. Learn more about how to set up quantity discounts.

Message 55 of 178
Super Seller

I would love to have a discount that allows us to have a conditional discount similar to quick service establishments that lets us do discounts when people add 2 different categories of items to the cart like a combo.  (Burger, fries, drink)

Second wish would be a discount that applies to the previous item only versus having to go to the bottom of the item screen and deselect a global discount.  Similar to making a flag to make an item "immune" to discounts.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 56 of 178
Community Team

Hi @Donnie-M,

Thank you for your feedback! Sellers have specially asked for the combo discounts feature to set up pricing rules. For example - a burger and fries in combo will have a discounted price of X dollars. Is your use-case similar to this? 

For the second wish, are you looking to exempt a specific item from discounting? If so, this is on our roadmap.

Message 57 of 178

Is there a way to make a product not qualify for any discounts? 

Message 58 of 178
Community Team

Hi @all4kids,

We do not have a way to exempt a specific item from discounting. Updates to this feature are on our roadmap. Sellers have often asked this feature for items that have smaller margins. Would say that is the driving motivator here as well?

Message 59 of 178
Beta Member

I am hoping you can address timed discounts for Square online. We don't have a open store front and need to have a timed happy hour from 3-4pm so that the 3pm staff aren't bored. 

Message 60 of 178
Super Seller Alumni

Agreed 👍

Craft Beer Pub & Pizza Spot
Village of Manlius, NY

http://awwander.com
IG: @awwander
FB: @awwandermanlius
Message 61 of 178
Community Team

Hi @ninjarita,

Discounts don’t yet fully sync between Square Online and Square’s main Item Library, but we’re working on this. Curious - if you are looking at this feature as a discounting rule or a coupon feature?

Message 62 of 178
Super Seller

I would love to create a discount that takes the items automatically to unit cost. 

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 63 of 178