x
Admin

Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hi Seller Community,

Have questions about the Orders section on your Point of Sale or online Square Dashboard? Our product team wants to hear from you!

I'm thrilled to introduce you to @chada and @Aaron_Product, whose teams focus on order management. Whether you're set up with Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, or Square Online, this is an opportunity for you to ask questions and share feedback on the order manager’s role in managing your business, notifying you of new or updated orders, printing order tickets, or providing settings for configuring your order-specific workflows. 

Post your questions to this thread ahead of time and check back with us on Wednesday, June 29, at 11 a.m. PDT/2 p.m. EDT when their team responds. 

A few example questions:

• What are the latest feature improvements that will help me better manage orders with Square Online?
  • If Square Order Manager could support "_______," the day-to-day operations at my restaurant would run so much smoother.
  • I keep running into "_______" every time an order comes through at my retail store. What's the best practice for addressing this?
  • What plans do you have for allowing me to configure Order Manager to suit the specific workflows of my business?
  • Do you have any plans to improve the onboarding experience to Order Manager for new sellers or employees?

ph210202A_GerardsDeli_02112_02_DM_IE_SIMP.jpg

Note: We are not able to share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

Click Reply below to post a question ahead of time, and we’ll address as many posts as we can on Wednesday, June 29.👇

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 217
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Order Manager team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to share your questions and feedback with us! We were impressed with the level of engagement we received and were excited to see so much interest in this topic. 

We hope your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to enhance Square’s Order Manager based on your feedback.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap the main themes that we observed across all the feedback:

More personalization options for order management workflows and printing

Some sellers operate off of only printed tickets, while others want to be able to complete an order after it arrives with a single button press. Some sellers want to complete bulk actions with minimal screen interactions. We are kicking off new discovery next month around the most common ways sellers want to personalize their workflows so we can meet you where your business is to enable Order Manager to become a lever in your business growth plan. We will be reaching out to all sellers who raised this topic to better understand the most important ways you want to personalize your order management experience to optimize your workflows in a way that suits your specific business needs. 

Editing orders after they have been paid and received

We understand that you have the ability to change the order after it appears in POS. In-store situations demand a change in the order—Situations such as selling out an item or having a customer call and request a change. We are working on enabling this capability for our order partners (including Square Online), such that the buyer is also made aware of the change. Please keep in mind that adoption will be dependent on the order partner (i.e. Doordash will have to enable this ability as well). We hope to have that out to you in the near future.

Customizing order and fulfillment settings on your Square Online site

We are working to centralize the fulfillment settings that apply to both your Square Online orders as well as any orders that are created through 3rd party apps and to expose those settings to developers via a public API so all orders are set with the correct fulfillment details. This will ensure that the same settings are adhered to no matter which channel your orders are placed so you can standardize your operations and deliver consistent service to all your customers. 

Creating orders with fulfillments at POS

Sellers want to create orders with fulfillments like Delivery or Pickup at the POS. We heard you loud and clear that this is a gap you want filled and we are exploring ways to support this capability in the future so you can offer the same great service to your customers, no matter how they order from you.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Thanks,

Aaron, Chada and Christian

PXL_20220629_192321201.jpg

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!

View Best Answer >

Message 214 of 217
216 REPLIES 216
Beta Member

Can you make it so a page can be turned off for ordering while another page stays open? I would like to be able to turn off ordering from my menu but leave my event page open so that people can still make reservations for my events.

Message 190 of 217
Square

Hi @ChefGoldie 

There are a few approached you could take here:

1) If menus are top level categories, then you could "hide" a category from published sites.

2) You could turn off ordering for only a subset of items today by having separate sites (one for events and one for normal online ordering).

3) Unless this is a scheduleable action, in which case time-based categories could solve it easily.

Hopefully these suggestions help!

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 191 of 217
Super Seller

In Square Online > Orders we would love it if there were better filter options!
The status filter currently doesn't work as expected, and that's the only way we have to sort through our orders. 

Example: We select "Pending" as the order status, and it will surface a page that includes orders with a status of Pending, Complete, and Paid. It would be better if it only showed Pending orders.

And ideally, we would be able to select multiple order statuses, types, and a date range. We need filters to look at things like Pending and Pickup, or all of our Shipped orders in a date range. 

I currently have to export our orders and filter in a spreadsheet, but would love it if these options were native on the Orders page!! 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 192 of 217
Square

Hi @keicollective,

Thanks for this feedback. We're actively looking for ways to improve our order management experience, so this is very helpful. Have you looked at your Square Order Manager (available at https://squareup.com/dashboard/orders/overview)? It has some of the features that you mentioned; we're interested to hear how well these address your needs.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 193 of 217
Super Seller

Hi @Aaron_Product thanks for the reply! 

We use the Shippo integration on Square Online to have dynamic shipping options, so using the Order Manager doesn't make sense for us since it only ships UPS. Would love it if the Order Manager had the same shipping controls as Square Online, but I figured asking for the Square Online > Orders page to have the same filter options as the Order Manager was an easier lift. 

Message 194 of 217
Beta Member

what does it take to make my online store successful?

About how much does it cost to have Web page design help from Square to make website look professional and have links to notify me if customers need to ask me questions…make deposits links…sale links and update new items needs to be added to online store?

Message 195 of 217
Square

Hi @Bthomas98,

Thanks for bringing this up. Square has partnered with 99designs to offer our sellers design services to build and launch their Square Online site. Design services range from a simple online ordering page to a full custom website, and start from $199. You can find out more and connect with a Square Online store designer here: https://99designs.com/square-online.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction!

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 196 of 217
Super Seller Alumni

My biggest hurdle is having to flip between Square and PirateShip to get orders shipped. An integration between the two would be heavenly! It's not a huge deal, but would definitely be a time saver!

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 197 of 217
Beta Member

1. Being able to edit orders when they come in, especially if asking for extras.

2. Editing the time for pick up, not just in 15 minute increments

3. When using a modifier for making choices (eg type of bread for a sandwich) having the ability to mark it sold out under the modifier rather than having to delete the option. Also reminder that you have marked something sold out.

4. New or choice of sound for incoming orders & being able to turn it up louder.

5. Coupons for online, buy one from each category get so much off (buy entree, drink and chips get $ off order)

6. Having a preset that if so many items are in one order the system automatically puts the time to make out. Having to limit how many people can pick up at one time frame is a pain, but having the system say - because its a large order it will take longer and here is your new time frame. 

Message 198 of 217

When we print receipts, some of the details show on the paper (ex. $2.00 each, but does not show WHAT is $2.00) but other details do not. I have tried looking everyone in settings, and I have detailed receipts toggled on. Is there something I am missing?

Message 199 of 217

It says You need something updated for the CBD program on my account what is it that you need? 

There is no info on what you are asking for. Why are you asking for info when you just approved us 5 months ago?

It is very unclear what your asking for when you send this notification...no area highlighted or specific needs.

Please let me know what is it your wanting.

thanks

PAul

Endo dispensary and Wellness.

Message 200 of 217
Super Seller

hello! It’s possible someone else may know the answer to this, but we are currently in the middle of setting up our online ordering and the biggest problem we are having is adding items into the ordering store, and when we save it some of the items will be missing. Or won’t show up if you click the specific category we placed them in. 
Anyone have any ideas? 
Thank you so much!! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 201 of 217
Super Seller

I would start by checking the Visibility settings on all the items you want to be live on your website. Make sure they are set to Visible and not Hidden or Unavailable. 

Message 202 of 217
Super Seller

Thank you for this! When I am looking at my full list of items some of them say they are hidden or unavailable, how do I change that? When I add the item into my menu it says it’s visible, but in my full list of items it stills says unavailable. So that’s where I get confused. Any thoughts there??
thank you again! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 203 of 217
Beta Member

This is frustrating for sure. We have found that categories set in Square are different than categories set in Square Online, and they don't sync, so you may want to check the settings in each location.

Message 204 of 217
Beta Member

I am having challenges with pick up/fulfillment settings. 

My "default" fulfillment is two days notice, but I would like SOME items to be shorter than that (available immediately). The default continues to override. It appears to me that you can only change the per item fulfillment to LONGER, but not SHORTER. Is this correct? If so, I would have to change every item in my online catalog in order to accommodate this difference. (For example, set everything to available immediately, then add "exceptions" to all items but the one that I actually want to be available immediately.) 

Also, I would love to have the option to set a SPECIFIC pick up time by item. For example, Item "X" is ONLY available for pick up on "Saturday at 10am each week" or "saturdays between 10-2" (etc). We operate a small bakery that makes some specialty items only once or twice per week. Currently we have a lengthy description that includes this information on the item, but that does not stop customers from ordering for other pick up days on occasion and there is no way to stop this. It is a very frustrating situation.

Ideally, instead of "advance notice" requirements for pick up/fulfillment, it would be great to just be able to say, on a per item basis,

"X" item is available for pick up on "these" pre-set days/times, with the default being that all other items are available for pick up at pre-set times during our business' retail operating hours.

The recent changes rolled out are better, and have added some additional flexibility, but are still not great.

Message 205 of 217

Can you have two separate businesses running from the same Square point of pay? Orders coming from one website?

Message 206 of 217
Beta Member

Is there going to be a way to access customer information from 3rd parties (our Square POS is integrated with Chowly) if we have an order that has not been picked up on time, or there is an issue with the customer's order? 

Message 207 of 217
Admin

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Order Manager team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 208 of 217
Beta Member

I am wondering, if Square is able to set attributes in inventory such as case quantity. Our products in our store is usually ordered by the case and sold by the each. The overall ordering experience and inventory entry experience in square up is not very productive. I was wondering if that data point could be added to the products and i could order my items by cases from my vendors through the purchase order module

Message 209 of 217
Beta Member

An Issue I forgot to mention in my previous post is Squares poor reporting features.

As a restaurant we need reporting that lines up with quickbooks, particurarly for labor and tips.

Currently there are NO usefull reports for payroll.

To run payroll we need a report that shows us:

-Employee hours for each job roll (not just their total hours or total pay)

-Employee tips

-We also need "online order tips" for each shift so we can attach them to whatever employee worked that particular shift.

Currently we pull a csv from "shifts > labor and tips" that shows each employees individual shift hours and run it through some excel macros to show us employee hours for each job pay code.

(This is nessissary as some employees work both kitchen and cashier shifts which have different pay rates)

Than we go to custom reports and run a report that shows employee tips based on a set time (each shift) and write down the online tips for each shift for every day of the week. Then we match the online shift tips to the schedule so the tips go to the correct employee.

Then we have another excell sheel where we add in their hours, tips and online tips to give us all the info we need for payroll.

There are two issues that square needs to address to fix this.

1. Square could make a report that shows employee hours for each job pay code, and their tips

2. Square could allow us to attach square online tips to a specific job pay code per shift.

We have 2 shifts a day (lunch and dinner), and an employee that just makes togo orders (with pay code "togo") for each shift.

Square could allow us to attach online tips to that "togo" job pay code so whoever clocks in under that code can attach themselves to online tips. (Just like a cashier attaches themself to a drawer)

P.S. The Bookkeep app (which intergrates square with quickbooks properly) would be a great resource for your teams to reach out to, their account managers and engineers are extremely knowledgeable on both quickbooks and square.

Message 210 of 217