x
Admin

Sales Tax Q&A: How can we improve sales tax settings?

On November 10th, 2021 we hosted a Q&A with our Commerce Platform team which focused on sales tax settings.

Square-for-Restaurants_TMG_Dashboard_Medium.jpg

The Commerce Platform team manages the sales tax product experience: everything from configuring tax settings in the online Square Dashboard to applying taxes to a sale, reporting, and filing.

One of the main goals of this event from our side was to ensure you're getting the most out of your tax settings and identify where Square can improve. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the replies that came through on this post are considered as we iterate. Thank you to everyone who participated!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 146
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope your questions are answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to make improvements on Sales Tax settings. With that, I wanted to highlight a few themes from this discussion:

A few of the feature requests that you mentioned are coming soon and available for Beta

• Category based Tax configuration
  • Exemptions based on the Item price
  • Exemptions based on the total price of a few items in the cart

To request for Beta participation, please send a Private Message to @divyar if you would like to talk further.

General information about available features

• Dashboard Sales Tax has a new location and experience. To manage Sales Tax, go to Accounts and Settings > Business > Sales Tax on Dashboard. Read more in our Support Center: Create and Manage Your Sales Tax Settings.
  • We offer the ability to Disable a Tax temporarily. This can be used for tax holidays, when you open a booth at a different tax location and want the POS tax rate to not apply on the cart.
  • Sellers who include the tax in their item price can turn on the tax inclusive toggle in the Sales Tax page for accurate tax calculations.
  • With Square savings you can create a dedicated folder to hold your collected taxes.

Other top asks we heard from you which we are working on solving for 

• Square Online Taxes do not sync with POS taxes
  • Customer Based Tax Exemptions

We appreciate you taking the time to share and we'll continue to iterate Square’s products based on your business needs. To stay up-to-date on new feature launches, keep watch on the Product Updates board.

View Best Answer >

Message 144 of 146
145 REPLIES 145
Square

Hey @midwest-aromas. Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in what you are doing today as a workaround?

Message 64 of 146

By using a calendar or event flyers saved to my phone or computer, I calculate the before tax sales made in that zip code when doing my sales tax reporting.

Online sales will charge local tax correctly based on my & the customer's shipping address. While for in person sales at events, I think square just charges based on my registered address. Sometimes I may be losing money during sales tax reporting if the event city's local tax rate is higher than my local tax rate.

Japanese domestic market, automotive air fresheners.
https://midwestaromas.square.site/
https://www.instagram.com/midwestaromas
Message 65 of 146
Beta Member

Hi! Just a fellow business here… I operate both online and mobile with different sales tax rates like you do. Have you manually entered the sales tax rates in your settings? When processing an in-person sale, just toggle on the sales tax rate that applies to the location you’re selling from at that time. Square doesn’t automatically apply sales tax rates based on your registered address for in-person sales (they only apply the rates you have manually entered and toggled “on”). Check under your settings and manually add tax rates as needed when you are selling mobile. Then just make sure they’re all toggled “off” until you’re selling in that city/county. 

Message 66 of 146

Thanks, Amy. If we toggle on a sales tax while at a remote location will this apply to only the salesperson logged in there? We will still be selling from the store at the same time and need to keep the other tax rate active there. The only difference is the salesperson login.

Message 67 of 146
Beta Member

When I toggle on a sales tax during an in-person sale, it does not affect any other item or future transactions. I would imagine that this would not affect any other device that’s logged in with a different user. Same situation if you had multiple permanent locations. They shouldn’t mess with each other. Since the majority of my sales are from different mobile locations, I always scroll down and apply the correct tax to each sale. You can “hide” inactive taxes in settings without deleting them. I have around 20 active tax rates visible on my end (but not “applied to all” items, just active and eligible to be applied). Does that clarify?  You may double check with Square in case your situation is unique, but I do this with every transaction and it’s as quick as one toggle-on. 

Message 68 of 146

Nice solution, I just can't forget to do it before/at each event.

Japanese domestic market, automotive air fresheners.
https://midwestaromas.square.site/
https://www.instagram.com/midwestaromas
Message 69 of 146

Our state has a maximum sales tax of $35 on the first $500 of any single item purchased.  I’d like to have a report that itemized these purchases for quarterly sales tax reports.  Right now I just look through every sale for the 3 months in order to do my sales tax calculations.  

Michelle Cobble
Message 70 of 146
Square

Thanks for the feedback @CobbleCo. I believe this ask is similar to this post. We are tracking a seller need around taxing partial amounts that I believe would include the case you mentioned.

Message 71 of 146

I did the new POS upgrade and cannot find the sales tax or offline information

Message 72 of 146
Square

Hey @mamajama. Sales Tax setting on mobile are under Settings > Checkout > Taxes

Message 73 of 146

did the POS upgrade and cannot find taxes or offline

Message 74 of 146
Super Seller

Hello @Tom, I previously added a comment in this tread, but as I was doing my end of the month report for Oct saw something that made me curious. I only have one sales tax item set up (the first "PA Sales Tax"), but in my report I'm seeing two items for taxes (an additional line called "Pennsylvania"). One appears to only be from maybe one transaction??? not sure because I can't get to that specific transaction to research it. I'm wondering if this was an online sale, and somehow the online website is set to calculate taxes differently than my POS in-store....so that's why I'm seeing these two lines in the tax report? Any way to consolidate? Just would be easier if I didn't have to manually add these in my own report.

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.30.10 AM.png

Message 75 of 146
Beta Member

This!  I'll be writing my own separate questions but as a seller who operates in a state that has varying taxes for each city, SALES TAX REPORTS via Square need an upgrade.  Charlie, you are correct in that "Pennsylvania" is your online sales.  Online sales tax is automatically calculated based on the shipping/delivery/pickup location.  Thankfully you live in a state that sales tax is the same everywhere.  My reports are a nightmare... 🤣

Message 76 of 146
Square

Thanks for the feedback! We are looking at ways of improving these reports, especially for sellers who ship items to multiple different tax jurisdictions. In an ideal world what data would you like to have in these reports?

Message 77 of 146

I'd love it if there were a "Fee" section or option under the taxes. Currently we have to add the "fee" as a retail category and it's counted towards out total sales. This is different then a service charge as that it applies to certain SKUs. It would be great to offer the Taxes as either a percent base or a number amount. Some products in this state (WA) require both, so that would be a HUGE help.

Message 78 of 146
Community Team

@GlassDistillery,

Thank you for your feedback. Regarding your first request, can you help us understand the fee you are trying to create? Is this for bottle deposit? We are working on a similar feature on our service charges roadmap and would like to make sure we understood the use case right. % + amount tax is on our roadmap.

Message 79 of 146

Allow modifiers to be connected to an inventory item. 

Message 80 of 146

Sure, but can this be done and not have the fee "modifier" be taxed, too? This fee cannot legally be taxed.

Message 81 of 146
Beta Member

Modifiers get taxed at the rate of the main item.  We are using modifiers for the bottle deposits at our brewery, as sometimes people need new bottles, other times they are refilling.  Then we fix it in our sales tax reports and in QuickBooks, as they are a non-taxed item.

Message 82 of 146
Beta Member

While the business is mostly online, and not via POS, I haven't been able to test it offline. I can only test the tax by making purchases. It's a hassell to have to check the sales tax for the POS vs Online. We were charging sales tax twice for each purchase for awhile and didn't know until it was angrily pointed out.

Now, the automatic state tax is turned off- and all taxes are "created by us instead. It took a really long time to get it right, mostly because I didn't know I had to check two areas. Then I found out you could create your own taxes, so I tried turning off the automatic state taxes and just using the DIY taxes. I believe this is what we are using now. Looking back at the reports, I am thankful all of the variations of taxes are kept track of. 

Also, creating a new item doesn't auto default to last taxes used, and these have to be turned on. I end up duplicating items just so I don't have to manually add the taxes.

Message 83 of 146

I have a Wix store.

how do i get square to stop charging tax on shipping on my online sales.

it should just charge tax on the items purchased.  Not include shipping as part of the sale.

thank you

Message 84 of 146