x
Admin

Square Loyalty Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Loyalty 🤝

Hello Seller Community — hope your February is off to a good start!

On Thursday, February 17th, @seiderman (Product Manager) and @cspillane (Product Marketing Manager) hosted a deep dive into the world of loyalty. Together, they answered questions from “How can I drive more success from my loyalty program?” to “What features are on the horizon?” — we want to help you grow your business with Square Loyalty. We'll share a summary of best practices and address the main themes that came up on this day, and mark it as a Best Answer as soon as possible.

A few example questions:

• How can I configure my Square Loyalty program to increase engagement?
  • What's the best way to increase awareness about my loyalty program?
  • If I could do "_______" with Square Loyalty, it would make a big difference for my business.

El_Sancho_2699_TB_01_Medium.jpg

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 156
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things — so thank you again! 

In closing, I’d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and we’re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if you’d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical “spend and get” program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically “slow” day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards — all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as we’ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and I’m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, we’re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If you’d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 156
155 REPLIES 155
Super Seller

I think Square Loyalty would be awesome to offer my clients here in the nail salon.  I would like to know how and if I can utilize options where they are awarded for referrals, birthday, and purchasing retail.  Is the price per location or under one user profile?

Message 22 of 156
Super Seller

Referrals would be cool, not a feature yet but many of us have been asking for something for a while. 

Birthday - Square Marketing has automated Birthday campaigns. We've been using it for a few years with over 3,000 customers getting a $10 birthday reward each year. Our emails requesting a customer's birth date have a 46% open rate with nearly 20% providing their date of birth. The birthday reward emails have a 54% open rate and very high attributable sales. 

As for Loyalty, the automated tool is a 'loyalty anniversary' campaign. It runs via text message instead of email and other campaigns (automated, single-use, text, email,...) are available. These pay dividends!!

Retail - rewarding loyal customers for their retail purchase behavior is what Loyalty is all about. We've successfully used Loyalty as a way to increase our customers' average spend. As a coffee shop, we've had an average spend of just over $4 when we started. Loyalty, as one of our tools, has helped increase that avg. ticket to nearly $7 while increasing repeat visits and creating more loyal customers. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 23 of 156
Super Seller Alumni

LOVE the idea of referrals or other ways to reward our customers, i.e. if you leave us a review or post on social media you get loyalty points.

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 24 of 156
Super Seller

Just implemented all of this.  Thank you!!

Message 25 of 156
Square

Hi STACELYN24,

Agreed! Your nail salon is a perfect use-case for implementing a loyalty program. 

As you’re selling retail items in addition to salon services, you could set up a “Per Amount Spent” program where customers earn rewards based on the total amount before tax and tip. Then the reward allocation correlates directly to how much they spend.

Alternatively, if you wanted to weight product and service purchases differently, you could implement a “Per Item” or “Per Category” program. That would allow you to reward points based on specific items (e.g. gel mani 10 points, regular mani 5 points, nail polish retail purchase 2 points) or specific categories (e.g. salon services 10 points, retail purchases 5 points) more uniquely.

Today, Square Loyalty is priced on a subscription basis by location (dependent on each location’s qualifying Loyalty visits per month). Check out this Support Center article for more details on the subscription tiers. 

At this time we don’t offer points for referrals, but we can circle back as solutions become available down the line. 

Last but not least, in order to delight customers with birthday offers, check out automated campaigns via Square Marketing. It allows you to auto-send an email + coupon to each customer 7 days before their birthday (among other fun occasions!).

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 26 of 156
Super Seller

I use Loyalty in my hair salon and it's GREAT for my clients! I'm going to rearrange my earning rules because I like to offer a variety of point values for doing different things in the studio. I hope that makes sense. I'm happy to give more ideas if you'd like! 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 27 of 156
Super Seller

Are loyalty points still not added to a clients purchase when paying by invoice? This was previously something I had experienced, not sure if it changed. TIA!

Message 28 of 156
Super Seller

Oops…

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 29 of 156

I have the same issue. This is definitely something I would like to see changed. Ihave to manually add and remove the points 

Message 30 of 156
Square

Hi @EcoAutoClean,

An integration between Loyalty and Invoices is something we’re looking closely into and hoping to prioritize this year. We understand that it’s important to reward customers no matter how they pay.

Stay tuned for updates — we will be sure to announce when it’s generally available!

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 31 of 156
Beta Member

Hello, Is there a projected timeline for addressing this issue beyond "hoping to prioritize this year"? This issue has been raised by many others for many years now -- since at least 2017.  Having to manually add rewards to customers who pay using recurring invoices is using more and more of my time.  We need this feature as soon as possible, especially considering the fees merchants are paying for using recurring invoices.

I need loyalty points to be awarded by paid invoices.  I manage a wine club and am using the loyalty program as a work around to track wine pickups by club members and manage their status.  Club members are invoiced using recurring invoices and a card on file.  It makes more work and time for me to have to go into each club member's account and add rewards by hand.  It would also be helpful if the loyalty program description made it clear that loyalty points are not awarded by invoices.  Thanks!

Message 32 of 156
Square

Hi @KatieHollister,

Completely understand your frustration here, and you’re right, this is definitely something that has come up time and time again. The good news is that we recently expanded the product team focused on Loyalty; thus, we’re also working on expanding the scope of what we can achieve this year.

I wish I had a more definitive timeline to share with you right now, but please know that the integration between Loyalty and Invoices is top priority for both me and @seiderman personally, and we will continue to advocate for its inclusion in this year's roadmap.

I hope to be back in touch with you soon re: an update on this issue. 

-Ciara

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 33 of 156
Beta Member

Hello, Checking in to see what the progress is on this issue and about an implementation timeline.

Thanks! 

Message 34 of 156
Square

Hey @KatieHollister,

Thanks for checking in. While I don't have a firm timeline to share right now, I can confirm we're in active development and hope to launch a limited beta in early Summer. If interested, I'm happy to include you in the beta program once the team is ready to launch. 

Message 35 of 156
Beta Member

Great! Yes, we would like to be included in the beta testing, please.

Message 36 of 156

I am very interested in trying this. Thank you.  Elissa Helfrey at admin@elissahelfrey.com thanks so much!

Message 37 of 156

I am interested in an online, refer a friend, they buy, you get a coupon type referral, as well as a loyalty program. Thank you

Message 38 of 156
Beta Member

Please include me for beta testing.  Thank you! 

Message 39 of 156
Super Seller

That is great news but is there any thought of connecting the virtual terminal as well?

Sammy Grace

Please Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 40 of 156
Beta Member

I agree, virtual terminal definitely needs to be attached to loyalty.  

Message 41 of 156

Yes this needs to be terminal and virtual for me. Thank you

Message 42 of 156