x

Gift card loading fees tax on fees

Any one else notice the "tax on fees" now associated to the new Gift card loading fee? I confirmed with Square today that this tax on fees is a part of the 2.5% gift card loading fees. It is not a specific tax charged to us customers although it could easily be mistaken for GST here in Canada. It would be in Square s best interest to not call this a tax as it may cause confusion and end up generating a Federal Canadian audit of Square. No one likes an audit. Maybe change the reporting wording or include this tax in the gift card load fees instead of breaking it out as a tax. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

The gift card load fees aren't showing up on downloaded reports either, whereas other transaction fees do.... they really need to fix that for reporting.

Message 2 of 4

If we clear the gift card balance on the gift card because we need to refund the customer on a gift card for various reasons such as a lost card or a customer service issue. Square told us that the 2.5% load fee is not refunded to us when we clear a balance. Square needs to consider these scenarios and charge the fees fairly.

Message 3 of 4

I feel as though we are already being charged high enough fees for service. I was rather upset with the gift card loading fee, as we most often use our gift cards as promotional items. After lengthy discussions Square told me that there are no breaks in these newly implemented fees, even when a card is refunded. This seems like poor customer retention plan on the part of Square. Unfortunately unless i want to migrate entirely to a different payment merchant there are no options. Square really needs to do better in order to keep long term paying customers to their system.  

Message 4 of 4