x

Work on downloaded Reports using Excel

Hi, 

I have downloaded Sales Report in .csv format but seems all the cells are locked and cannot use Excel to work with the report! Is there any way to be able to use Excel on the downloaded reports?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @MotherEarths 

In order to make a CSV editable in Excel, you will need to first save it as a compatible Excel file. You can accomplish this by using the Save As... Feature in your Spreadsheet program and choose the Excel format. After this, you will be able to edit the data in the export.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Hi JJ, 

Thank you for your response.

I did save the downloaded CSV file in .xls and .xlsx formats but was not able to edit it in any format including CSV. 

As a workaround, I opened the CSV using Google Sheets and it worked. Using Google Sheets I downloaded and saved the file in xls format and was then able to edit it. 

Through Google search results, I understand many users experience difficulty using CSV with Excel, hope my experience helps others.

Many thanks.

Message 3 of 6

Hi JJ,

I missed mentioning that I was attempting the files using MacBook, not sure if people using Windows also have issues.

Thanks 

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for this information @MotherEarths. I will share it with the team to keep an eye out for additional reports of trouble editing exports.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 6

.csv is used for google sheet, there is a proper serpeate layout of excel sheets. You should have to use that one. 

Message 6 of 6