x

Does anyone have any tips for using Square Register at a drive thru?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Drive thru and square register/tips

I recently purchased the latest models of the square registers for my seasonal ice cream  shop. Prior to these registers, we ran all credit card transactions on an ipod at each of my 3 registers (lobby, walk up window, and drive thru). WIth the registers now, I don't want to be handing out the signature pad through our drive thru window for fear of it getting damaged and it also won't stay connected once you detach from the register for a signature.

I've temporarily suspended tips via CC (much to my staff's dismay) because we can't get a signature via our drive thru for the reasons mentioned above.

I can't conect one of the ipods just to the DT register to allow for signature (I've questioned square via messenger twice on this issue).  We would routinely drop an ipod at least once a week at the drive thru in our case-protected ipod, and I'm not going to risk dropping the signature pad as there is no true protection type case for it.

Square suggested I run all transactions at the DT via an ipod, but that's going to be cumbersome to enter all the data for an order (especially food orders).

Looking for any input from folks who use Square and a register or ipad at a drive thru.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Champion

you can skip the signatures now if you wanted as they are no longer necessary from the big credit card companies.  but that doesn't solve the issue of tips as you'd still need to pass the display to the customer.  

Not sure I really have an option as somehow the customer needs to get a device to interact with and that requires a device passing hands.  

@pessosices, you don't have a drive-thru, do you?

Message 2 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

We don’t have a drive through, but we do have a walk up window. We just have our customer facing display permanently sitting at the edge of the counter by the window and folks use it that way. 

Maybe coming up with some type of mount like an arm mount for iPads/microphones/cameras might work so the cable can reach and the screen is secure?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 7

Yes, that works for our lobby and walk up window, but not for the drive thru.  I'm concerned about keeping the signature piece outside during inclement weather (it's 10 degrees currently in Ohio) and what snow/rain will do to it as there doens't seem to be something to protect the signature piece of the register.  I appreciate your feedback.

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

Good point, @robinbelleville  - Maybe a swinging/pivoting arm that you can turn out as needed, and pull in & not use during the rain and all that?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 7

Register is meant to use by your employees. I recommend that you check out Kiosk systems that integrate with Square, so you know for sure all drive thru orders are limited in functionality and lock down features sending orders directly to your Square POS. 

https://orderem.com/Products/SelfServiceKiosks

https://orderem.com/Integration/Square

Self Service Kiosks (powered by OrderEm)Self Service Kiosks (powered by OrderEm)

Check out the above links that are relevant to your question. 

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Ising a drive thru with speaker how do you take an order get started on it then another car comes to the speaker. But u cant ring it because the first car hadnt made it to the window to pay and get the system clear to take that next order 

Message 7 of 7