x
Admin

Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hello Seller Community! 

Am I able to backdate or edit a transaction after the sale is complete? What if the sale occured earlier and I recived payment at a later date? 

Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 135
134 REPLIES 134
Beta Member

The inability to edit is causing issues for reporting. And scammers will sure find their ways regardless. This option should be available. I went through my app yesterday to check any appointments I may have missed checking out in 2020, because they paid check or cash and I got busy and didn’t complete the transaction right then. Now I have 44 transactions showing on 1/6/2021 that took place/were paid on various dates in 2020. Creating an issue for 2020 taxes - $3800+ that I have to make a note to add to my reporting, and for 2021, I’ll have $3800+ showing as income that I did not receive in 2021. Ridiculous there’s no concession for this issue. 

Message 43 of 135

Maybe we could have the ability to make these changes if we can show proof of transactions. For example, I have accepted payments through my business cash app that I would like recorded in Square for many purposes.  Would it be possible to enter in these previous transactions with the correct dates and times if the transactions log from cash app was uploaded with correction request?

Message 44 of 135
Beta Member

I do not understand why you would believe it is your responsibility to regulate your system for law enforcement.  These people will commit the fraud without anyway.  Your goal should be to provide a better system to your loyal law abiding customers.  We just purchased a business that is using square and desire to capture sales in a different manner than before.  This requires us going back in time to enter sales to reflect against the proper day of sale.  Sales are made from a sister location and texed to us, and now we enter them as other payment type.  But we want to go back and get the history correct, to be able to perform proper analsys.  As it stands now w ehave to export transactions and then put them in the spreedsheet.

Message 45 of 135
Super Seller

@Chad , what to do about invoicing. You invoice an order the product goes out, but the sale completes when the customer pays. That creates an issue when it is ordered just before the end of the year and the payment is made in the next year. We need to account for that sale in the year the order was processed, as the inventory was reduced. A payment would reduce the inventory again.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 46 of 135

Can I edit a payment transaction.  I cleared an open invoice a month after I was paid and wish to put that sale in the correct month and year  that I was paid?  Any way to go in and edit the dashboard so that I can have accurate data per month and year?

Message 47 of 135
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can I edit a payment transaction. I received payment last month for an invoice but had not cleared”

Hello @174! I merged your question into this thread so you can see Chad's Best Answer above. You can refund the invoice, but it won't be possible to record it on another date in the past. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 48 of 135

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Can you back date a cash transaction that you forgot to enter" The author has been notified via email.

At a recent consumer trade show I forgot to log 1 cash transaction.  Is there a way to go back and enter it?

Message 49 of 135

We have a one-off custom item business.  During a busy sale period it is not uncommon, using the smartphone Square POS app, to forget to add or not have time to add information related to the item(s) sold, e.g. pattern or other distinguishing items to assist in stock control later.  Sadly the sales receipt/transaction is locked after payment, making such impossible.

How about adding the ability so save a comment with a transaction that can be entered at any time using either the smartphone or the Dashboard?  

Message 50 of 135
Square Community Moderator

Hi @luxcrafter

I've moved your post to this existing thread, as there isn't a way to add or remove any information from a transaction after the sale. This includes adding notes to the payment itself. 

We don't have any plans to implement this at the moment, but try creating a customer profile for the person that put in the order, and add notes to their profile including the date of their order and the order specifics that might've been left out of the sale. 

You could also look into customizing your item library and using the modifiers and item variations so that the specifics about an order are required before getting to the checkout screen. 

Message 51 of 135

First, many customers are one-offs and don't give info.  And that was not the question or issue ... that being, during a busy show it is sometimes necessary to go back to record tracking information that was skipped during the transaction.  A simple memo field associated with the sale, not the customer, is what is being requested, so this can be recorded.  It does not have to alter the transaction record, just be linked to it.  Seems like a simple and resonable request!

R

Message 52 of 135

@luxcrafter Notes that are associated to a transaction are unfortunately treated as detail about the payment itself. Being able to edit or add details to a payment after it's already completed is still not something that we've had any movement on thus far, but if this does change I'll be sure to update everyone. 

Message 53 of 135

Adding the ability to edit a transaction would be extremely helpful.  I am often hurried while checking clients out and forget to select the proper location or I enter as a cash sale but would like to go back and select the specific items to track better.  I see the comments that there is no plan to implement any change, but I wanted to throw my request to do so as well.  It would make life much easier and more organized for the businesses you serve.

Message 54 of 135
Beta Member

Hi, I have read thru your threads from back to 2016 we are now in 2018 and we still have same problem.  My issue is I started off with Your booking appointments system not the POS.  I later discoverd how much more Square had to offer after being forced to convert from Book Fresh to Square Appointments.  I was getting payments thru another POS and have many options.  Now its tax season and I need to report the accurate information.  I notice I went back to begginging of year and all my appointments I had to close them out (check out) I took my time and started doing it but it is all registering client paid today.  So I just did 3 months of check outs to realize that its registering payments recieved in wrong month.  Although I understand you have reasons to avoid issues.  But our issues are not being resolved as well.  When running a small business, your the laborere, accountant, manager, maintenance, secretary every position so I find myself doing my numbers always at the end of the year. Especially if the customer pays cash we don't take the time to create a POS when they are already in system as an appointment.  You offer the option to create Reports on our Square account but how are we to create accurate information when system doesn't allow us to go back and correct this error.  Please let me know how I should proceed  I have 7 more months to process.  I just started using POS maybe in the middle of the year.  So those payments are accurate but sometimes I do enter clients information later when I have time.  

Benite C.
Message 55 of 135
Super Seller

there is nothing you can do if you have 10 months of unentered sales to backdate them, sales must be entered at the date they happen if you want to use the POS for accurate data and reports.  any sales entered today will be entered into the transaction log as having happened today.  you will have to use your paper sales log that you are using to enter sales into Square for your tax purposes until you are entering sales at the time of sale.

Message 56 of 135
Beta Member

I Realize this after I already entered all transactions.  Now how can I go back and correct this issue.  I am so upset at myself so now my numbers are all  messed up showing I made over 100,000 for this year and these are transactions from last year.  How do I correct this issue.  DO I have to shut it down and start over>>> ??? HELP please?? 

Benite C.
Message 57 of 135
Super Seller

you could refund all the transactions, but I would say you are honestly better off starting fresh and entering only this year's sales.  the dates will be wrong as all sales will show as the day you entered them but from now on out you will be right.  refunding all the transactions will just make a mess.

Message 58 of 135

Quickbooks can date the actual sale to the date it occured even in the past. Square, we are not scammer we are paying cusotmers. Why not add this functionality. This really means you do not turst the people that pay your bills, monthly fees for using your services in good faith. 

All major accounting and merchant systems allow back nad forward dating of invoices and payments. THis is especially god for errors during bank im[ports and other API transactions that may occure end of month and need to be accured properly.

Please consider to add this functionality. Verify the company / customer, mkae us pay more, what ever, just do it. it a joke not to have this. Otherwise every year we are off with invoicing that is manual or checks or cash. If you cant add this I wil be working on switching over to Intuit quick books and their payemnt systems. AS it is harder, but more robust and more widely used. Everything we do ends up in quickbooks for bookeeping and acounting 1099, I guess if this feautre is not added we wil make the switch and leave square.

Message 59 of 135
Beta Member

I have read thru this thread but wondered if you can change the catagory of an item that was just rung up under a 'custom amount' not an actual catagory/item selected?  With having transactions that don't have a catagory/item attached to the dollar amount and it's throwing off my reports.  Also is there a way to turn off that feature of ringing up an item without a catagory(custom amount)?  I understand having that custom amount feature is on there but I would like to turn it off so my assoicates HAVE to pick the catagory/item to ring up an item for a sale.

Message 60 of 135

Hi @BeachEmbroidery

Unfortunately there's no way to edit the category of an item sale after it's been completed, nor is there a way to turn off the ability to ring up Custom Amount sales. 

That is an interesting request, so I'll definitely raise this to our Payments team.

While it's not on our road map at the moment, we'll definitely let everyone know if this changes. 

Message 61 of 135

This comment was merged from: "how can i change the employee who collected money to another employee?"

All our employees have their own employee numbers. when they check out a costumer they have to put the numbetr of the employee who serviced the costumer that way we can keep track of tips. Some times the fron t desk forgets to put the employees number and they put their own number. How can i go back and change the employee alictaed to the transaction that way the right employee gets their tips?

Message 62 of 135

Hello @Coffeeandhair, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I went ahead and merged your thread since a similar question was already asked. Currently we don't offer the ability to edit transaction data after the sale. This includes editing which employee accepted the payment. 

Message 63 of 135