x

Problems updating my EIN on the Square Dashboard

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: EIN Problems

I am trying to link my EIN to my account and Sqaure keeps popping up with this message saying "We are currently unable to contact the IRS to validate the name and TIN you provided. Please try again at a later time." What does this mean? Is the IRS currently having issues latley? Please help?? 

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@shalstead1912 @Richio I'm sorry for the frustration, it's not you! The message your seeing in the Tax Forms section of your Dashboard is accurate: occasionally, the IRS experiences downtime. Because our systems connect to the IRS to update your information, when the IRS experiences intermittent downtime, we're not able to update your information. 

Please wait 48 hours before attempting to update your taxpayer information again. Apologies again for the trouble and thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Admin

Hi @SLRS. Sorry for the trouble!

I merged your question over to this thread that has some info on why you're likely having issues updating your EIN. Take a look at Helen's Best Answer, specifically.

Please let me know if you continue to run into problems getting this information updated!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 22 of 33

Your company name and EIN do not match the IRS record

Your company name and EIN do not match the IRS record

Message 23 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hi @qq6528687 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over troubleshooting your EIN.

There's also this thread here with troubleshooting that may help. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 33

I am trying to update my business EIN on Dashboard but it keeps saying "We are currently unable to contact the IRS to validate the name and TIN you provided. Please try again at a later time". I have been trying so many times. I do input exactly the same Business Name and EIN on IRS. Anyone knows how to update this? 

Message 25 of 33

Hi @LOL6677 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that addresses this issue.

Unfortunately sometimes too the IRS website goes down and we're not able to verify EINs when that downtime happens. It'd be best to give it a couple of hours or another day before trying again.

Ashley C
Message 26 of 33

Have you had any luck with this? I've been trying to fix my Tax Information for 4 days, and I keep getting the same message. Customer support has not been helpful.

Message 27 of 33

Have tried numerous times to update Square One info with IRS TIN # to no avail.  What do we do?  System states it does NOT recognize TIN.  Which is weird.

We have used this TIN with IRS over 10 years.  Pls Assist...

Message 28 of 33
Beta Member

The name and TIN you provided do not match what is on file with the IRS. Please verify the information you are providing matches exactly what is on file with the IRS.

my deceased husband set up the account in his name and I need to get it updated for taxes, however the system does not save my changes and continues to give me an error message🔼

Message 29 of 33

Hey @Juliesspa,

I moved your post to a thread where this issue has been addressed before by previous sellers.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 30 of 33

I am trying to change FEIN for 3 weeks!!!  Why isnt this feature available at this time especially since its 1099 cutoff at 1/31??

Message 31 of 33

Hi there, @alihausdesign - I'm sorry to hear that this frustrating situation is what brought you to the Seller Community 😔

As @Helen mentioned in the post marked Best Answer at the top of this thread, "The message you're seeing in the Tax Forms section of your Dashboard is accurate: Occasionally, the IRS experiences downtime. Because our systems connect to the IRS to update your information, when the IRS experiences intermittent downtime, we're not able to update your information." Unfortunately, Square is unable to pull the strings to resolve this situation on our end because this issue is actually on the IRS's side.

We do apologize for the inconvenience. I will reach out to our Engineers to see if they have any additional information to provide or if we can possibly reach out to the IRS to let them know our portal has been down for multiple days. I will follow up with you here with any additional details I'm able to find 🙂

Violet
Message 32 of 33

Hi there again @alihausdesign - Thanks for your patience while awaiting my response 🙏

Our Tax Team confirmed that there were some issues with our connection with the IRS going down and back up again several times around the period when you were trying to update your information. As it stands right now, our forum is up and running correctly so you would be able to update your Tax Payer info on your Dashboard by following the instructions here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you happen to run into any further issues or have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 33 of 33