x

Using Square Terminal "add note" disappears

I have an item at $190 each. For a cash transaction, I can “add a note” on the keypad page to provide any detail of the customer if required (in this case, a serialised number of the item). I have another item at a “variable” amount which can also be a cash transaction. If I try to process that on the keypad page, the “add a note” field is not shown which makes it unusable. There is a convoluted way around it by adding a note before the transaction but it's not a real solution.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @Daylef,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Without seeing exactly what you're looking at it's a little hard to advise, but generally speaking you should still be able to add notes by clicking "current sale" at the top of the screen once you've added an item. You can find more on this here - use the same instructions for adding a note on a smart phone.

If that's not a simple solution though can you post some screenshots of how the note field is disappearing from the keypad so I can get a better idea of what's happening here? If you're just referring to the keypad that appears when entering a variable price, as opposed to the custom amount keypad at checkout, you'd add the note via the item as above, rather than the variable price entry keypad.

Hope that all makes sense!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi. Somewhat of a belated response but the issue has resurfaced and is now a bigger problem. In answer to your comments, if I select an item that has a "Variable" cost, it goes directly to the keypad and not to the "Current Sale" field at the top of the items screen (Terminal). The keypad in this instance does not have an "Add note" field, meaning I can't tell where the payment has come from. I've attached two screen shots, the first has "Flying account" with a variable cost. The second is what I get when I select it, ie no "add note" feature.

Cheers

Screenshot_20210608-141711_Square_Point_of_Sale[1].jpgScreenshot_20210608-141829_Square_Point_of_Sale[1].jpg 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @Daylef,

I took a look into this and it looks like it works a little differently on variably priced items - you should be able to add a note to the transaction though by clicking where it says "No Sale" in the first screen (this will say "Current Sale" if you have already added an item).

Once you've clicked here you can click on the item you've added and click "Add note" or just switch back to the keypad enter view from checkout to add a note. If you've not added an item you may need to go back to the main keypad to add a note.

It looks like I'm using a newer version of the iOS app so things do appear a little differently for me and I'm going based on memory of the Terminal/Android version - but please let me know how this goes 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4