x

Is there a way to set up a second display for the barista to see orders and check them off?

I'm using Square POS, single iPad in Square Stand.

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

There is a whole KDS (kitchen display System) that Square just launched.  It might be overkill for what you want.  I haven't used it so I'm not sure how detailed it gets or if it integrates with Square POS or if it needs Square for Resturaunts.  You can see what you think here.  https://squareup.com/us/en/point-of-sale/restaurants/kitchen-display-system

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

Best Answer

There is a whole KDS (kitchen display System) that Square just launched.  It might be overkill for what you want.  I haven't used it so I'm not sure how detailed it gets or if it integrates with Square POS or if it needs Square for Resturaunts.  You can see what you think here.  https://squareup.com/us/en/point-of-sale/restaurants/kitchen-display-system

Message 2 of 16
Beta Member

We are a coffee and ice cream shop and have been using the KDS for a few months now (part of Beta). I can't imagine not having it. It's perfect for a barista as you can mark off each think after it's been made. We can have multiple people working on the same order and just mark off their item. Definitely worth it!!

Message 3 of 16

Thank you for the responses! I was hoping I could do it without having to upgrade to Square for Restaurants. I'm sure this is a great product for many businesses, but we are just a weekend pop-up for now so it doesn't make sense to upgrade as our budget is tight.

Message 4 of 16
Super Seller

FreshKDS is an addon service that will allow you to accomplish what you want.  You could also set up a second printer to just print tickets for the barista.  A third option would be another tablet with the point of sale installed and he or she could look at the transactions to see the order (although this is far from ideal).  Square's KDS is the most tightly integrated and upgrading to the restaurants option since you don't have a bunch of registers may be well worth it for you.  The restaurants app is natively faster on ringing up things with lots of modifiers and food sales.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 16

We use Fresh KDS with an extra iPad near our espresso machine. I believe the cost is $20 a month and it works great with Square. It is definitely a life saver when it comes to keeping orders straight.

Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

Hi. If you haven't found something simple that works for you yet, contact us - we're an official Square Partner and have a really sleek, easy and powerful KDS - and we'll give it to ya free.

A lot of our Clients use it to feed mobile-only orders to barista stations or kitchens using any Android Tablet or iPad/iPhone.

We love sharing our technology with the world and helping small businesses. 

Here's some screenshots and video of it:

https://getpreorder.com/square-pos

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 7 of 16

We purchased a refurbished kitchen printer to print coffee tickets for our barista, not as much of an investment right now and works just fine. 

Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

I believe you could just purchase another iPad and run Square POS on it logged in to the same account. Any orders that show on the iPad you have on your Square stand should show on the second iPad. Your barista should be able to use the order screen on the stand alone iPad to mark orders as Ready and Complete as they work through them. Then the orders should update on both devices.

We do something similar in our donut shop. We use Square register with a printer at one end of our kitchen to receive online, and take in-person, orders and a stand alone android tablet at the other end logged in to the Square POS app. As our donut toppers complete orders they use the stand alone tablet to mark orders as Ready and then Complete when customers come to the pick-up counter to get them. It works pretty well for us and no KDS or upgrading our Square account was needed. Just the added expense of the second tablet.

Message 9 of 16

Which Android tablet are you using?  I'm running Square for Restaurants and having trouble identifying which ones are (if any) compatible.

Bruce
Message 10 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @lgmbts

You can see all of the tablets or devices that are compatible with Square through our Compatibility Page

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 16

So, the page you connected me to doesn't answer my question.  I use the Square Register with customer facing screen running Square for Restaurants, and have an iPad as an ancillary terminal to take phone orders, and update online orders.  I want a second ipad to function in the same way.  Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing on the page that tells me what iOS is compatible with my system.

Bruce
Message 12 of 16

Hello @lgmbts

Our apps require iOS 12.0+ or Android 5.0+

I hope that answers your question! 

Let me know if we can be of further assistance. 

Frances
Message 13 of 16

We have Square KDS and am wondering how to get orders to the KDS screen in real time like how a drive-through works so by the time they pay we could have the food ready for them?

Message 14 of 16

Hi there @hatchkitchen,

We recommend checking out this blog post from one of our product managers that goes over different setup features for Square KDS. We have also moved your question to a thread of Sellers with the same questions you have, so their information may help you as well!

Ellie
Message 15 of 16

Thank you but that blog post didn’t help with my question. What thread was it moved to?

Message 16 of 16