x
Super Seller

New Square Register Hardware vs. Old Square Stand Differences

We are having a little trouble getting used to some of the software features built into the Square Register hardware vs. the Square Stand (ipad). Everything is largely the same as far the POS software goes, except a couple things so far that is slowing us down a little.

Namely having to do with the Loyalty program and customers getting their points. It took us a few days to figure out that customers were not getting their points because they were not going through every single prompt on the customer facing display. The process is as follows: 
1. CX taps "Check In"

2. CX enters phone number

3. CX pays and walks away

4. Employee presses "New Sale" on the Square Register

Problem is... If they don't go through a couple more prompts on the CX facing display, they will not get their points. I'm sure our regulars will get used to this. But it gets kind of tired making sure they go through all the steps before they walk away, and it seems to annoy people more than anything. Are there any settings that will limit the number of steps required to claim their points? (maybe a workaround?). The CX facing display was really the only reason we decided to switch hardware. So this process is kind of a deal breaker for us.

And another thing we're struggling with is Square Invoices on the new Register hardware... We do a lot of no-contact sales with online orders using Square invoices. One problem we're running into with the new hardware is when a customer needs to pay their invoice with an EBT card, we have to turn off all the taxes. Before, when using the Square Stand with an ipad it was easy to just toggle the tax for the entire transaction before someone pays. But now with the Square Register, it seems that we have to click on every individual item in their invoice and turn the tax off 1 at a time before they can pay. Maybe I am missing something, but this is kind of a downer. 

I haven't actually had any experience with it myself, I'm just relaying feedback from some of our co-workers that use the system all day.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @LocavoreStore 

I totally feel you on the loyalty front. If you turn off receipts, it speeds things up tremendously. The first time a customer uses loyalty they’ll have to tap claim points at the end, but after that, if they check in at the beginning, once they’re paid it’ll jump right into being done! 

I don’t have any experience with taxes so I don’t know that side - were tax included in the price. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

@LocavoreStore Thanks for reaching out! I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding your Square Register. I know it can be frustrating to adjust to different features between the two pieces of hardware. 

@pessosices and @GlassJudy do you have any insight to some of the things this seller is experiencing? 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @LocavoreStore 

I totally feel you on the loyalty front. If you turn off receipts, it speeds things up tremendously. The first time a customer uses loyalty they’ll have to tap claim points at the end, but after that, if they check in at the beginning, once they’re paid it’ll jump right into being done! 

I don’t have any experience with taxes so I don’t know that side - were tax included in the price. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

Thanks for the tips @pessosices ... I'll take a closer look at it this week. 

Message 4 of 4