x

Can I, as the business, see all my customers' unused gift card balances?

I think my subject line says it all. 

If I sell Square gift cards, am I able to create any kind of report to see which customers have unused balances, and can I see how much those balances are?

Or does only the customer have access to their balance?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@mikesclub ;

When I followed the instructions from this thread I was NOT able to see the total Dollar amount of Unused cards. 

Gift Card Activity

You can check the balance on all outstanding gift cards you’ve issued to date. To do so, use the "Gift Card Details" report that shows the Gift Card PAN suffix, initial load date, last loaded date, last date the card was used, and the outstanding balance.

To view gift card specific gift card details and activities:

1. Go to the Square Gift Cards Overview page from your online Square Dashboard.

2. Filter by date, location or card type. 

3. Select the gift card to view details on the right.

I had a Total amount of Cards sold from the first gift card sold.  Showed some cards with $0.00 Balance and others with a Balance that I would have to manually add up to find out how much was still on gift cards to be used.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @mikesclub😊

There are three options to view the transaction history of a gift card:

Transactions Report

1. From your online Square Dashboard, click Reporting > Transactions.

2. Select any transaction completed with the gift card in question or you can search by the last 4 digits of the gift card.

3. Click the Gift Card link to view the payment history.

To view the receipts for each gift card transaction, click the receipt link on the left side of the popup window.

Gift Cards Overview Report

1. From your online Square Dashboard, go to Gift Cards.

2. From the Overview page, search by gift card number. Click the gift card to view the details. Scroll down to view the gift card activity history.

To view the receipts, click the link in the Receipt column.

Gift Cards Summary Report

1. From your online Square Dashboard, go to Reports.

2. Select Gift Cards.

3. Use the date and location selector to view the Gift Cards Summary Report and Inter-Location Payables & Receivables.

4. Click Export to receive a downloadable report.

At this time, you cannot see which customers have unused balances. 

I hope this helps in some way! 

Message 2 of 8
Super Seller

@Summer2024 ;

So there is no way I could see the remaining balances for Gift Cards I sold over the last 5 years?  Gift cards have at least that length of time so we should be able to track this for that time frame.  Maybe not the actual customer but the Gift Card itself and the amount available on the card.  SInce this is an amount that we would have to inform a Buyer of our business if we decided to sell our business to retire.  Not only that but Square Reports does not let you choose a start date of say Jan, 1st 2019 untill Feb, 20th, 2024 to see ALL gift cards sold over that time frame.  I know I have Gift Cards that have been sold by me but have no idea what the $$ value on those cards are.  Most were sold in the $50 to $100 range.  This is needed for any business!!  Here is from a Google search How long are Gift Cards Good for:

five years

Gift Card Rules: The Card Act sets a federal minimum term for the sale of gift certificates, store gift cards and general use prepaid cards of five years from the date of issuance or the date funds are last loaded on the card (if it is a store gift card or general use prepaid card).

This is for the US, and as such we would need to disclose this in the sale of a business since the new owner would be liable for these Gift Cards and not get compensated for them unless we could see how much is outstanding for Gift Cards.

This needs to be addressed to at minimum show the Total unused balance of ALL Gift Cards with a Positive balance.
Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Candlestore

I guess I could have worded that differently. You are able to see all gift cards and their unused balances, you just cannot see who they are specifically linked to.

Gift Card Activity

You can check the balance on all outstanding gift cards you’ve issued to date. To do so, use the "Gift Card Details" report that shows the Gift Card PAN suffix, initial load date, last loaded date, last date the card was used, and the outstanding balance.

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

@Summer2024 ;

Especially when I followed your Instructions for the Square Dashboard It did not show any of this information.  And the other two ways were for Online which I do not use through Square.  Following your Response, to my previous reply, I was able to see all outstanding Gift cards by following your link.  But guess I need to put in a Request to show Total Currently Outstanding Since the 3 headers at the top show:

Activations (last 30 days)

Redemptions (last 30 days)

Outstanding (all time)    Would be nice if this or another header showed Current Outstanding with a total.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 5 of 8

Not sure if I understand your answer here. 

So, for example, if I have 1000 active gift cards in play right now, and every one of them has some unused balance, can I see a report showing the combined total unused balance, or do I have to look at each card individually? 

Also, I do understand that I can’t see the name of the customer who owns a particular gift card, but I assume I can call up data for that card via the card number, correct? 

I want to see, at any given moment, the total value of all gift cards I’ve sold, vs the total amount those card-holding customers have consumed. Or not yet consumed. This is a pretty important metric for any business. 

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

@mikesclub ;

When I followed the instructions from this thread I was NOT able to see the total Dollar amount of Unused cards. 

Gift Card Activity

I had a Total amount of Cards sold from the first gift card sold.  Showed some cards with $0.00 Balance and others with a Balance that I would have to manually add up to find out how much was still on gift cards to be used.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

I wanted a list of all Gift Cards and balances, too.  I wnet to Reports, Gift Cards.  The screen shows a summary; however, if you click on the download icon, you can download a list of all gift cards with activation date, last used, remaining balance and more.  

Message 8 of 8