x

Hardware recommendations

I am trying to figure out which hardware will work best for my spa business. I am looking at the terminal or the stand. I need to be able to check clients out after their appointment, have a separate tip screen, be able to sell them retail, and rebook them. I like the idea of them having their own screen so we are contactless. It seems that the register would be perfect but I don't believe I can check out clients or rebook them with it. Could I connect the terminal to an ipad? I also would like to use a scanner if possible. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Let's see... for your biz, I recommend the Square Stand. It's an elegant, clean and simple counter-top solution that holds an iPad. Although it doesn't have a customer display like the Register, the Stand swivels at its base making it easy for customers to sign and tip. 

Plus the Appointments POS app is downloadable on the iPad unlike the Register and Terminal. 

The Terminal is ideal for convenience stores or restaurant servers taking mobile payments at a diner's table. The Register is super sleek and ideal for high traffic/volume businesses but it's a bit more pricier than the Stand.

@Beth78

Hope this helps. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

Thank you for the help. Do you know if I can connect the terminal to an iPad or the stand? Also, the register doesn’t allow me to book appointments or check clients out correct? 

Message 3 of 5
Alumni

No to your first question, and Yes to your second I'm afraid. But we're working to integrate all Square software, like Appointments, to all of Square's hardware. 

Appointments for the Register and the Terminal is next, so stay tuned! 

@Beth78

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

The Square Appointments app is not compatible with Terminal.

Register does not allow other apps to be downloaded (for example if you were working with Quickbooks or Gusto to manage employees, you can't download it).

The Stand has an iPad so you can download apps but the tip screen is disjointed -- you have the card reader, then to tip, you have to swivel the screen around.

No choice is really ideal. What did you decide?

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 5 of 5