x

How can I enable my account without putting social security number?

Because I'm not a resident, and I do not have a Social Security Number? what can I do?

Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @Ajeeeel52, thanks for posting.

In order to create a Square account, a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification number is required. If you do not have one then you will not be able to create an account with Square. If you have a business partner who is a resident, they would have to set up the account, and business Tax ID (EIN) could be used for tax reporting. Read more about the information required to sign up with Square in our Support Center. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

So, it's one thing that a SSN is needed to sign-up.  However, the bigger problem is that Square won't allow the owner to be changed.  This I can't see any reason for except that Square doesn't feel like putting it into their system and only wants to cater to sole proprietors.  I mean if you are a corporation or a business with multiple owners, when someone leaves you shouldn't have to shut down the whole account and start a new one!  It should be as easy as the new person entering in their SSN to do the same verification and then they are the new owner.  Patriot act stuff can all still be verified.  Why put your customers through that hassle?  There isn't any other system I've ever dealt with that says, "when this one guy leaves your company you have to start all over again."

Message 22 of 37

Hi, I am unable to sign-up for an account and start using Square for my small business because I do not have an SSN. I am living in US, but my small business is located in overseas and I was going to report my taxes to that country. Therefore I do not have a SSN, and I am not even a citizen in US.

How do I enable my account to connect Square to my Weebly website?

Message 23 of 37
Alumni

@rmbooks, you will need to use either a SSN or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) in order to create a Square account. We outline the reasons for needing this information right here if you'd like to learn more about this step.

I've moved your post here so you can see @Spenser's Best Answer. I also wanted to point you to this article about international availability, as you mentioned you live in the US but are interested in using Square for your business overseas.

If you're still unsure, please reach out and we'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 37

I am Canadian.  I have Square in Canada.  Now I live in the US, I want to use Square but don't have a SSN to sign up with.  How can I do this?

Message 25 of 37
Admin

Hey @momrocks2010! I moved your question to this thread so you can see what's needed to create a US based account. Good luck!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 26 of 37

I have a personal ITIN number and an EIN for my business, but something goes wrong and I can't activate my account. I'm not a resident.

Message 27 of 37
Admin

Hey @Natochi. You're not a resident of... where? Here are some troubleshooting steps for signing up with us. Look through and let me know if you have questions.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 28 of 37

I don’t have SSN, can I sign up with an ITIN? Thanks

Message 29 of 37
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gpe_gutierrez! Welcome to the Community. 

I moved your post to this thread that exists in the Community on needing an SSN to sign up.

Check out @Spenser 's best answer here. 

Ashley C
Message 30 of 37

I have set up a company account and verified my bank account and included EIN.  However I do not have a SSN so now I need to change the account owner to an employee with an SSN.  Where can I do that or do I have to start from the beginning with a new account?

Stephen

Message 31 of 37
Alumni

Hey@stephenlgreen -  account ownership cannot be transferred with Square's system, so you'll need to create a new account from scratch in the name of a trusted individual who has an SSN. Keep in mind, Square will consider them the account owner and will be able to make changes to the account as they please.

I've merged you to this thread so you can see @Spenser's best answer for more info! 

Justin
Message 32 of 37

Is there a way I can verify my account on square payroll without SSN? Please help.

Message 33 of 37

Hi @jelinenina - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. Happy to provide some more details on this for you.

For security purposes, both banking industry regulations and federal law require Square to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our customers. Even if you plan on using our services primarily for a business, we need this information to confirm that you’re either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. There isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

For tax reporting purposes you can also add your Employment Identification Number to your Square account. Associating your Square account with your EIN is helpful when it comes to organizing and completing your taxes, as we will report your 1099-K to your EIN.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Message 34 of 37

We are an Australian based organisation who sells internationally. We have subsidiaries (legally incorporated companies) in the USA, UK, Australia and Europe. (All are registered for VAT, Sales Tax, IRS, EIN etc). We have bank accounts in the various company names in the different territories yet Square claim this is not acceptable. Why is it that a bank can open an account based on Passport ID or Apostile yet Square can't? Surely if a US bank, and we have 2 can open bank accounts under the company names, are subject to the same banking laws as Square then the explanations being put forward on this forum.

What I can find on the question of the Patriot Act referred too is

The US Patriot Act does not Require you to have my SSN to verify who I am (see below). I am registered with all the same information from the IRS when we got the EIN number. the fact that both match should be enough.

SEC. 326. VERIFICATION OF IDENTIFICATION

(A) verifying the identity of any person seeking to open an account to the extent reasonable and practicable; (B) maintaining records of the information used to verify a person's identity, including name, address, and other identifying information; and (C) consulting lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations provided to the financial institution by any government agency to determine whether a person seeking to open an account appears on any such list.

Square state above "We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law (USA Patriot Act of 2001) to ask for your Social Security Number, date of birth and full name." This seems to be totally misleading. The Act suggest minimum standards be addressed but the requirement for a SSN is not required from the sections I have reviewed. 

Can a Representative of Square please provide on this Forum the clauses they are seeking to rely on in relation to this section of the ACT. That would simply clear up the questions and concerns being vented here.

Thank you.

Message 35 of 37

Welcome to the Community, @GetSmarts 

I just want to make sure I'm understanding, but are you asking if you can create an account based in the US without a social security number? Or are you having trouble creating an account in Australia? 

Thanks in advance! 

Message 36 of 37

If I create an account with SSN and then add EIN, is that information reported to EIN or SSN tied to account?

My fear is that money will be reported to me for this non for profit, just because I'm on the board.

Thanks

Angie

Message 37 of 37