x

How do I set up mobile staff?

I’m brand new to Square and will have other people taking payments through my account. I wanted to set up mobile staff so they don’t have access to all of my personal account information. How do I set up mobile staff? 

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @CDV 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here - welcome! 

We can definitely get you set up so that your Employees can take payments on your behalf. One quick clarification for the sake of distilling any confusion for anyone else who may come across this thread - we recently discontinued the terminology of Mobile Staff and moved solely to Team Permissions. There are virtually no major changes in the altering of our terminology, we are just streamlining our products to mitigate confusion 😇

So! Let's get you set up so your Employees can take payments.

From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Team Member.

1. Enter the team member’s name and personal information > Save.
  2. If you’d like to track time and wages, and assign permissions, click Complete setup.
  3. Select whether this team member is exempt from overtime. This is only necessary if you are tracking timecards with Square. Assign or create a job title and enter their wage > click Save.
  4. To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, clock in/out using the Square app and/or access the online Square Dashboard, click Set up permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
    • To allow your team member to sign into the Square app and clock in/out using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
    • If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in. This will send the team member an email inviting them to create a password for their account.
    • If a team member has been given access to both the Square app and online Square Dashboard, they’ll need a Personal Passcode and an email address they’ll use to sign in.
  5. Once finished, click Save.

If applicable, this team member will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing the online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device.

Also, feel free to use the Team Management Getting Started guide that I linked above. It is an extremely helpful resource to help you get off the ground running.

I hope this information is helpful! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @CDV 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here - welcome! 

We can definitely get you set up so that your Employees can take payments on your behalf. One quick clarification for the sake of distilling any confusion for anyone else who may come across this thread - we recently discontinued the terminology of Mobile Staff and moved solely to Team Permissions. There are virtually no major changes in the altering of our terminology, we are just streamlining our products to mitigate confusion 😇

So! Let's get you set up so your Employees can take payments.

From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Team Member.

1. Enter the team member’s name and personal information > Save.
  2. If you’d like to track time and wages, and assign permissions, click Complete setup.
  3. Select whether this team member is exempt from overtime. This is only necessary if you are tracking timecards with Square. Assign or create a job title and enter their wage > click Save.
  4. To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, clock in/out using the Square app and/or access the online Square Dashboard, click Set up permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
    • To allow your team member to sign into the Square app and clock in/out using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
    • If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in. This will send the team member an email inviting them to create a password for their account.
    • If a team member has been given access to both the Square app and online Square Dashboard, they’ll need a Personal Passcode and an email address they’ll use to sign in.
  5. Once finished, click Save.

If applicable, this team member will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing the online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device.

Also, feel free to use the Team Management Getting Started guide that I linked above. It is an extremely helpful resource to help you get off the ground running.

I hope this information is helpful! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Message 2 of 5

I followed the instructions but now I'm stuck. I do not see any place to click on, "Enable permissions."

Message 3 of 5
Alumni

Team Management has been updated a little, so the button you're looking for will say Set up permissions instead of Enable Permissions - let's help you find the button, @TheDogLady!

Head over to the Team Members page of your Square Dashboard first. Then, click on the team member you'd like to apply permissions to. A sidebar menu will pop out from the right-hand side of your screen, and you'll want to scroll down to the very bottom of this menu.

As long as you've finished setting up your team member (added a role, etc) - you will see this at the very bottom of the menu:

Let us know if you're still having a bit of trouble finding this, so we can dig in more!

Valentina
Message 4 of 5

Hi there, I've set up my team member following all the instructions you laid out. However, I can't figure out how to get my team member to be able to sign in on their own device, under my account. You mention above that they'll receive an email. But they haven't received an email. How long does that usually take? And what will they need in order to sign in? I'm stumped and really appreciate your help. Thankyou.

Message 5 of 5