x

Multiple businesses: create new account or new location?

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a millions times but for some reason the only similar threads I have been able to find date back to 2016. Wondering if the multiple location feature has matured or changed.

So Im setting up a new business (new name, new EIN, different industry) but would love to have it in the same Square dashboard with one login. What is best practice: can I do a new location (ideal) or make a whole other square account?

Screenshot 2024-04-24 130513.png

I noticed in this screenshot the dashboard has multiple businesses, some with multiple locations in them? Are these actual separate businesses (EIN, etc)? or just different "locations" for the same business?  

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @BH_LLC,

Thanks for joining us in the Community.

You can create a new location to manage multiple businesses or locations within one Square account.

You can learn more about managing multiple locations in this article here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Best Answer

Hey @BH_LLC,

Thanks for joining us in the Community.

You can create a new location to manage multiple businesses or locations within one Square account.

You can learn more about managing multiple locations in this article here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 2 of 6

Thanks I read through this article multiple times. It’s really not clear whether a new location allows me to setup a whole other business with independent tax ids and category or a new location is to be used for tracking sales from a different location or inventory within the same business. 

Message 3 of 6

@BH_LLC, yes, once you've set a location, you can apply a different EIN number, but you won't be able to change the category of the business on the account.

Have you had a chance to test adding a location?

Here's an image for reference.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.26.12 AM.png

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

so I created a new location under:

Account Settings > Business Information > Locations

Now I have my main business with 2 locations. How do I add a new business and get menu you attached above?

Message 5 of 6

Hello @BH_LLC 👋

You can find the menu pictured above in your Tax Forms screen

Because two different business types cannot be managed from the same Square account, we do not recommend using one account for two different businesses. 

For two different businesses is best to set up two separate Square accounts.

You can learn more about creating multiple accounts here.

Thank you. 

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6