x
Beta Member

Why are my refunds not showing up in my square reports?

So I entered products sold as cash to a customer, but the customer didn`t pay right away due to an emergency. So I sent an invoice, so it appears it duplicated the order. I refunded it internally thinking it would recalculate my products, but it still shows up selling duplicate of everything on my report and I am not sure how to fix it. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Hey @hskincare - Sorry to hear the trouble. 

I'm afraid there's no way to delete a duplicate payment after it's been processed, so issuing a refund is the best route to take as it will balance your books. Refunds will post to your daily sales on the date it completes processing (the refunded amount will show in parenthesis on your Sales Summary Report under the Refunds).

As far as your inventory,  I'm afraid refunds don't auto adjust to reflect the returned item - you'll need to increase your stock levels manually. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9

I see the refunds in the Sales Summary and Transaction Detail, but the totals do not adjust in the the other reports.

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jhuff and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community with the same question.

As @JustinC mentioned above- the refund totals are only going to show in your Sales Summary.

Can you give me more details on how it reflecting in the items report would be helpful to your business? I can pass it along to the Product Team.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 9

We are a non-profit organization and utilize Square for a "donate-it-forward" café to tackle food insecurity in our community.  We use Square to not only process donations, but to count the meals served.  When refunds are issued (due to a variety of reasons), our number of meals served do not adjust.  We also use the Square item sales report to post the cash and credit card deposits in our accounting software.  Since the item sales report does not adjust for refunds, I have to manually dig into the transaction detail report to find the refunds and adjust manually.  What generally is just a few minutes (when there are no refunds), turns into a labor-intensive process.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide to encourage the Product Team to address this issue.

Message 5 of 9

Yes, this is the exact same issue I have too.  Sales are entered into our accounting software by the category breakdown, and all returns/refunds I have to pull all the individual sales to be able to code each return to the right category.  Normal few minute entries can take extensive time if there are a lot of returns.  Plus since S/T is included in our price, the amount on the return includes s/t, so if multiple lines, have to manually calculate the item amount out to not include sales tax, since the sales tax number on the sales report is already adjusted.  Same thing goes for discounts.  Makes absolutely no sense why net sales Category sales are gross amounts instead of net amounts.  If discounts and returns are being coded to items, it should be reflected on the sales.  This is one of my biggest issues with the system.  The other is when you export a report to excel, you don't get the same breakdown detail lines as you do on screen.

Message 6 of 9

I also need the Item Sales Report to include the returns IN ONE REPORT.  The Items Sold isn't correct unless the report shows the total that came through the gate LESS the returns.

Message 7 of 9

Dear Square, please fix this. There has to be a better way to make returns less painful to track in reporting/books.

Message 8 of 9

I agree.

Message 9 of 9