x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238

I have created a "Plan" under subscriptions and there is a button that says create checkout link.  Right now that says a link will be created once I save the plan.  I have saved the plan and a checkout link has STILL not been created! How can I fix this?

Message 211 of 239
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Jemjuicery - If you are still having issues with your site, we are happy to look into it. Can you please confirm your website address?

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 212 of 239

What are the options for selling a subscription that is a physical product that needs to be shipped on a monthly basis? Current function does not have any shipping details. 

Message 213 of 239

Welcome to the Community, @DakotaLewis

Great question! 

I would recommend checking out Sayra's previous post about recurring payments. She provided some excellent resources to check out.

If this isn't what you're looking for, please let me know! I am happy to circle back. 

Kassi
Message 214 of 239

That's great for Square Up bc they can get more people to pay the higher credit card charge. 

BUT...

This is just a membership fee. What about the actual inventory that's attached to the membership? I want to set up a monthly wine club but I'm NOT going to pay a 3rd party App an extra $100-$500 a month for this! 

Yeah, I can charge my customer $75 a month for their wine club but when they pick up their wines how do they come out of inventory? 

I know Square doesn't care and hasn't fixed a single issue on these boards...well, unless it makes them a 💩 ton of 💰

They've known about the missing "3rd decimal" since 2017 but hasn't done a 🖕'ing thing about it. I still can't sync to Quickbooks because if an item's price is $16.33333 Square will accept it as $16.34. Which means the invoice WILL NOT sync with Quickbooks. 2017 they've known about this. 

Seriously, look through these message boards, Square Up's only response is to drive more and more people to use online options so they can steal their .30 cents and 3% fee. Kahching. Kaaching!!

Message 215 of 239
Beta Member

This only works if your item are digital. It also doesn't seem to allow someone to purchase a subscription for someone else.  I don't want to use an outside app or website to do my product subscriptions but I have no choice. 

Message 216 of 239

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @thebrainlair I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 217 of 239

I accidently set up a recurring invoice. Now how do I cancel the original so they stop getting sent? 

Message 218 of 239

HI, hopefully this Square Support page will help.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6105-manage-your-square-invoices

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 7.53.13 AM.png

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 219 of 239

I recently built a website through square for my coffee business. I'd now like to add a monthly coffee subscription where the user can setup recurring monthly payments depending on which subscription model they opt in to (monthly, bi-monthly, etc.). I'd like to set it up so they have the choice for free local delivery or be required to pay a nominal fee if they want their subscription shipped. 

What's the best way to achieve this?

Thanks!

Message 220 of 239

I would also like to know how to do this.

Message 221 of 239
Alumni

You can use the Subscription Payments feature with Checkout links then paste the link to your site. 

@gegolickd

@MissPatchy

And happy to have you in the Community! 

Justin
Message 222 of 239
Beta Member

@gegolickdI've been thinking about doing a monthly coffee subscription with my coffee shop. Super curious to see how you're doing yours! Would you mind to message me? Thanks! Bryce

Message 223 of 239

Hello,

Is there any way to allow donators to set up recurring payments through the app?

I have different payment options under “Checkout” that I want to be able to set recurring donations for them.

For example if I have an option for “general donations” and someone wants to donate $1000 over the span of 10 months, is there any way to set that up without ha ink to send them an invoice?

The reason I am asking is because we are hosting a big event and can’t waste time entering the donators information one at a time just to send them invoices.

The options under checkout are simple and quick to set up and have them pay. But I do not see an option to set up recurring payments for those categories.

Thanks

Message 224 of 239
Alumni

Hey @GranadaSchool - Currently, recurring payments are only available through Invoices. The only other workaround I can think of is if you save their Card on File so that their payment information is saved. However, this would require you to manually process the payment over the allotted time they want to make payments.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 225 of 239

I also have a non-profit and would like the recurring donation option to be initiated by the donor, rather than an invoice by the administrator. I noticed that this thread is nearly 3 years old. Can a Square Representative speak to the status of getting this feature?

Message 226 of 239
Admin

Hey @mjackson, welcome to the Seller Community and thanks for checking in here. I went to look for more updates on this and, while our Invoices Team is continuing to track this request, there isn't a specific timeline that I'm able to access right now.

Hopefully EJ and Sean's suggested workarounds help bridge the gap for the time being. We'll circle back to this thread as soon as any other developments come through.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 227 of 239

Can we please get a 2021 update on the status of recurring donations using Square? Is this not possible today? When is it expected, if ever? Thank you.

Message 228 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

Valentina
Message 229 of 239

This is a great feature and I love it.  I now need to change the subscription from 'monthly' to 'one time' donation.  How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

Message 230 of 239
Super Seller

@COH_Director If this is for in-person transactions it can be done using Customer Groups and Automatic Discounts.

Create a Smart Group in your Customer Directory that adds anyone who purchases your "Membership" item to it.

Then create an Automatic Discount (Items -> Discounts) and add the Rules to apply to that specific customer group. 

Hope that helps!

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 231 of 239