x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238
Admin

Hello @Greater25out! There isn't a membership feature at this time but I suggest checking out the replies in this thread above — other sellers are using some other Square features to run memberships. Hopefully the workarounds suggested work for your business too! 😀

In the meantime I'll share your request for a membership feature, including a membership card, with the Product Team.  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 22 of 239
Super Seller

any updates on a Membership Integration?

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 23 of 239
Beta Member

PS: I'm also considering programming this behavior myself. Is there a way to implement that feature (programmed by me) to work seamless with SquareUp?

Since you can basically treat the Square app as a dumb payment terminal thru its API, you can, in theory, craft any kind of system you want. You will, however, lose all built-in features offered by the Square app, though. For example, even things as simple as keeping track of the refunds will have to be handled by yourself.

Message 24 of 239

Yes I want to create a membership as well! Just adding my vote for this option too!

Message 25 of 239

We are a recreation dog park business and need to be able to check people in when they arrive on site. This needs to be connected to their square membership and alert if payment is not up to date, a dog is due for updated vaccine paper work, etc.  Any solutions here? 

Message 26 of 239
Admin

Hey @TheBarkingBodeg 🐩 

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and welcome 💫

While I don't think that Square on it's own has that kind of functionality - we do integrate with several apps that specialize in membership so that Square could still remain as your payment processor. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 27 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @TheBarkingBodeg, we are a Square partner and have the Membership App that can take care of your requirement. Let us know if you are still looking and we can set up a demo for you.

Message 28 of 239
Beta Member

We would like to be able to sell "memberships" that receive discounts instead of customers racking up points.  Will there ever be a loyalty functionality for this?

Message 29 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @COH_Director, Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App can be setup such that you can offer discounts to the members. 

Let us know if you are still looking for a membership solution and we can setup a demo for you to do this. Thanks!

Message 30 of 239
Beta Member

Hi Pintuna - you do not seem to understand my needs.  Your system would not work for the membership benefits we provide.  Our barcode system cannot read screens (must be a 2D barcode), we do not want people to have points or loyalty cards, and do not want any virtual cards/codes/accounts to store anything in.

We offer 10% off merch, $1 off tickets, and then other discounts specific to the member's level.

Message 31 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @COH_Director, what you are describing as your needs is possible to setup if you are using Square POS system.

I'm assuming you have some way to identify the level of membership (2D barcodes?) of a customer at the checkout. 

Happy to discuss further if you think it would help.

Message 32 of 239
Beta Member

Hi- 

I'm also interested in a membership program. We are a small non-profit and also have an on site flower shop. I would love to offer our supporters a membership option. If they join they can receive a discount in our shop as well on tickets for events etc. 

Is this something that's available?

Thanks-

farmersash
Message 33 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @sashakanno, we have a membership app, fully integrated with Square, that can do what you have described as your requirements above. Happy to demo the solution, just drop us an email - sales@pintuna.com. Thanks!

Message 34 of 239

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Does Square offer recurring payments (subscriptions)?

I'm looking to process recurring donations for my ministry. My partners have already filled out an online form giving us permission to run their card monthly. Do I have to create an invoice every month in order to do the recurring debit? I'm looking to set a fixed date and amount for each of my partners.

Message 35 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

The way you can do this is to create a recurring invoice for each of them.  I would change your form and remove the credit card information from it.  Have then fill out the form with all the needed info minus the card info.  Create a recurring invoice.  Once sent they can then securely enter their card information.  Just make sure you check the box to allow them to save their card information.

Here is the Help article.

Message 36 of 239

[This post was merged from a separate thread titled: Does square support monthly membership]

was wondering if square supports monthly memberships for say tanning massage or facials? 

Message 37 of 239

I'd like to offer our nonprofit member-sign up with a membership fee. How do I have an online form that is an item in the online store and when you have completed the form, you can then submit+purchase?

or does this online form need to be post-purchase on another website?

Message 38 of 239

any ideas?

Message 39 of 239
Square

Sorry for the delay, @iconoclast88

There currently isn't a way to customize the check out form for the Online Store, so depending on the info you need to gather you may need a separate form.

You can definitely still have the membership fee listed there if you'd like to provide a place for member to pay though. There is also a space at checkout that is for "Notes to the seller" so you could ask your members to type in additional info there. 

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 40 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

I'd also concur that this functionality would be ideal for us.  We sell memberships to the Zoo.  It's pretty straightforward to sell them at our physical location.  We have multiple buttons under the category.  We have members fill out a form.  That info gets dumped into a database we maintain.

For online sales, we currently use a Wufoo form with Authorize.net as our payment processor.  I'm not complaining *too* much because the payment terms we have with Authorize are pretty swank...but...it would be ideal to have everything integrated into one system...even if it did cost us a little more via processing fees.

In fact, the ability to run a membership program would be my number one request from Square.  That was the *one* thing that Blackbaud's Altru did decently.  

Message 41 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @jjgard, Pintuna is a Square partner and our Membership App isi fully integrated with Square. We should be able to meet your requirement easily and greatly simplify your process. Let us know if there is interest and we can set up a demo. Just drop a note to sales@pintuna.com

Message 42 of 239