x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238

I might not be able to describe this right but I am a yoga studio, spa and cafe. The cafe closed due to covid but Im trying to be innovative and turn my square website into a product retail site selling my yoga, spa and cafe products. Easy enough however theres one section to add memberships and a different section to add memberships with reoccuring payments. I want to explore offering memberships. I do this through a different fitness platform now. They seem the same in theory but separate areas of the website that dont connect. One of them I can add to my menu but Im not sure how it makes it a membership because it doesnt ask to set up any payment structure. the other is a different membership section which allowed me to select reoccuring payments. I included the same information in both but Im not exactly sure which one is right or what the difference is. www.wildcraftsbyomturtle.com 

Message 169 of 239
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Om415 and welcome to the Community!

I appreciate all the detail here but I'm afraid it was a bit overload for me and I'm not sure if I know exactly what you're asking.

Can you specify what exactly you're wanting to do with your Online Store or what the other program does that you're looking to do with us?

Also looping in @Goldneye here who is a Super Seller that uses our Online Store to see if she knows more about what you're asking to do.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 170 of 239

HI, and thank you to @ashc.. I am not familiar with Memberships, Subscriptions, etc.   Hopefully these Square Support pages will help.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6839-subscription-payments-with-square-online-checkout-links

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5096-process-recurring-or-subscription-payments

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 171 of 239

I have a couple of different memberships I'd like to add to my website. Is there a way to send customers who sign up an email with details of where the membership content can be found when they sign up? Would I need to upgrade to the next level to send an automated email?

Are there any tutorials?

Thanks in advance

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Creating a membership

Message 172 of 239
Admin

Hi @NurturedbyNatur, thanks for your post! What you can potentially do is to edit the content of the Order Confirmation email. You can add it a section about how customers access their memberships. 

One thing to note is that when you add the section in your email, all customers will receive this information after they have placed their orders. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 173 of 239

Hello!

I am a medical spa and would like to sell a monthly membership that charges customers a specific amount on the same day each month. I would like this to be automatic and do not want to have to create an invoice to link them to. I noticed there is a "membership" feature in items but I am not sure if this does what I am looking for. Can someone help me with this?

Message 174 of 239

I am looking for the same thing for our company.  I know we can utilize reoccurring invoices, but that is cumbersome and would like the ability create a membership item that automatically re-bills every month.

Message 175 of 239

For now, what I did was go to online checkout and create a link to receive a payment. It gives the option for subscription and how often the person is billed. Then when the person signs up, they have to enter their name and email address and it shows up under your subscriptions in Online Checkout. 

I then synced the link created for the payment with a "Become A Member" button on the website. It works pretty well and all you have to do is look at your subscribed members to ensure the person has kept up with their payments. Here's a link on how to do make the link:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6839-subscription-payments-with-square-online-checkout-links...

Message 176 of 239

Is the software capable of storing and setting up subscription or memberships for clients?

Message 177 of 239
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @RachaelMarieLMT! I moved your question here where there's already some discussion about membership/subscription set up. Feel free to tag any of the sellers you see on that thread if you'd like some additional insight!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 178 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @editspa

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and can handle
your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 179 of 239

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to create membership meal plans. I am able to create membership-type items in the online store and add a membership section to my online store. I am also able to purchase the membership.

Example following are my membership items available for customers to sign up for. 

1. 05 - meals plan (valid for 10 days) - $10 X 5 = $50
  2. 10 - meals plan (valid for 20 days) - $10 X 10 = $100
  3. 15 - meals plan (valid for 30 days) - $10 X 15 = $150

I would like customers to redeem from the membership plan when they actually purchase the meal.

Example: Customer who has a membership of 5 meals, for each meal they purchase(within 10 days) they should be able to redeem $10 from $50 they already paid when they signed up for the membership.

Message 180 of 239
Admin

Great question, @gaurangbhatt! Just to make sure I understand what you want to do, you're essentially looking to let customers purchase a membership that acts like a gift card valued for set amounts?

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 181 of 239

@AdamB , essentially yes.

I looked at using gift cards for this purpose but I don’t think it will work because a) it cannot be purchased like membership plan (can’t have variations, tied to specific online store, etc.) and the redeem user experience is completely different.

(we are going to offer gift cards to our customers and don’t want to create confusion)

Message 182 of 239

Hi @gaurangbhatt I don't know if this would be possible to automate something like this. I can think of a few work-arounds using coupon codes, but it may be too much manual work. Can you post a link to your site so we can see how you have it setup currently? 

Message 183 of 239

Hi @BernadetteA ,

This is the online store link - https://onlineorder.mirchmantra.com/?location=11eb267bf0d50b2ab101ac1f6bbbcc9c

I have 3 items of membership type with variations. As a customer, I am able to purchase the membership but don't know how to use that/redeem the amount on my orders.

Also, I don't think there is a way to tie/link the membership to a specific "prepared food and beverage" item or category.

Message 184 of 239

Hm.. I think you could make this work with personalized coupons, but again it would not be automated. It would require some manual work on your end, and could be manageable depending on order volume. 

For example, you could create a coupon code with the customer's name each time a membership is purchased. You could set the coupon limit to the number of times it could be used (5, 10, 15) and then instruct the customer to enter the code at checkout for each order. You can also set the coupon to only work for specific items or categories. 

I can see this being a viable option if the expectation is the customer will order one meal a day, but is the membership option the only way to order on the site? Will non-members also be able to purchase meals at regular price? 

Message 185 of 239

Non-members can purchase the same meals using the online store the same way members will do. Thanks for the response @BernadetteA, I think I will try the coupon option and see how that works.

Message 186 of 239
Partner

Hi @gaurangbhatt in case this is still a need for you please let me know.

My name is Dan I've worked in point of sale and payments for 7+ years and developed a software to help retail businesses leverage subscriptions.  It's called Submatic (https://www.submatic.io/).

We have an integration with Square that automates discounts and redemptions based on the rules that you configure.  For example you can create a membership for a product or which entitles the member to a discount.  Our software tracks and communicates the membership benefits with Square so that you don't have to track anything manually.

We launched recently and we are working with a handful of Square merchants.  If you're interested in getting more info or checking out a trial let me know.  You can send me a direct message here on the forum, just hover your mouse over my username and then click "Send Message". Thanks!

Message 187 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @gaurangbhatt,

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and can handle
your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 188 of 239

Is there anyway to set up reoccurring monthly membership/subscription billing on square? All I see is reoccurring invoices but that means I have to create an invoice for each customer, or that online checkout link which I dont really get.

Message 189 of 239