x

How and where does my employee clock in and out?

I'm having trouble locating the area where my employee issupposed to clock in/log in daily. As a result, I'm creating time cards daily.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 70
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How & where does my employee clock in daily?

@TexasBeef - You've got it! 👍

You can also find more details in our Support Center article: Team Management

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @Curlygirl - and welcome to the Seller Community! I've moved your question to this thread so others looking for this info can find the answer they need. If you've already added your employees in, there may just be a simple step you're missing in order for them to be able to clock in.

It sounds like you've already set up your team member profiles, and assigned your employees Personal Passcodes - you're halfway there! If you're using Passcodes in combination with Time Tracking, you'll need to enable both of these in-app. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Visit Settings while in the Square app
2. Select Passcodes, and toggle Enable Passcodes on

3. Select Time Tracking and toggle Time Tracking on

Now your employees have passcodes, and your settings look good, so it's time to clock in:

• Tablet: with Passcodes enabled, you'll tap Log In/Out in the top-right corner, then Clock In/Out once that appears on your screen.
  • Smartphone: tap the three horizontal lines, then Clock In/Out.
  • Mobile POS: for mobile cashiers signing in to the Square app with their own email, they won’t be prompted to enter a Personal Passcode to clock in.

Let us know if you still have any questions, and feel free to check out this article on Timecard Management for more!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 35 of 70
Alumni

Best Answer

Making sure this thread has an updated best answer..

First, make sure Time Tracking is enabled Settings. Then you'll see a clock icon in the corner of your screen from the Checkout Tab.

Note: If Passcode Access is enabled along with Time Tracking, your employee will need to tap their initials from navigation bar to view the clock icon. 

Justin

View Best Answer >

Message 46 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

What if you dont use the POS only the credit card processing?  Where do they sign in then??

Message 22 of 70
Alumni

Hi @CUTConsignment - Your employees would just need to sign into the same Point of Sale app that you use to process payments to clock in and out. You can learn more at Timecard Management.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 23 of 70

my boss has started using the square for her emplyees to clockin and out, do i need to upload a new square app or can I add it to my point of sale app I have?

Message 24 of 70

Hi @Pamela2,

It is an option from within the POS app already.  Just needs to be enabled in settings.  You will have a small clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  Also if you use a handheld app it will ask you if you want to clock in.

-Bob

Message 25 of 70

We have multiple staff clock in's at the same time for a shift. We are struggling to figure out how to clock in the next person, as it goes back to the same staff member to option to clock out. What are we missing here.

Message 26 of 70
Alumni

Hey @Tulipani - Sounds like you enabled employee permissions in conjunction with time clock feature. In that case, your other employees will need to tap the initials in the POS toolbar of whoever is signed in to reach the time clock screen. 

If you don't want to use employee permissions, you can disable it in Settings so only the time clock icon appears in the toolbar. 

Justin
Message 27 of 70

Is there a way to give a team member access to only clock in and out? They will not

be doing anything with the sales side but permissions won't let me turn off register access. 

Message 28 of 70
Square Community Moderator

@sarahmic I've merged your post with an existing thread that should help answer your question. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 29 of 70

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I set up employee clock in code

Help please

Message 30 of 70
Admin

@Zachary_butler2 Take look at the answers provided in this thread, I think they'll help you: How and where does my employee clock in and out?

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 31 of 70

@Helen 

You have mentioned checking out threads and tutorials, but nothing has helped. I do not have anywhere on my point of sale where my employees can clock in. The only way I can see is from the Square Team App, which means they can clock in from their couch 20 minutes before they even come to work. I don't want to become a time card monitor. I don't need another job.

Message 32 of 70
Beta Member

Did you ever get this figured out? We haven't yet....  😞

Message 33 of 70

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I use time clock?

Hi! I’m new to square business and want to integrate the time clock for team members. I added them in, but do dot appear on the time clock options

Message 34 of 70
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @Curlygirl - and welcome to the Seller Community! I've moved your question to this thread so others looking for this info can find the answer they need. If you've already added your employees in, there may just be a simple step you're missing in order for them to be able to clock in.

It sounds like you've already set up your team member profiles, and assigned your employees Personal Passcodes - you're halfway there! If you're using Passcodes in combination with Time Tracking, you'll need to enable both of these in-app. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Visit Settings while in the Square app
2. Select Passcodes, and toggle Enable Passcodes on

3. Select Time Tracking and toggle Time Tracking on

Now your employees have passcodes, and your settings look good, so it's time to clock in:

• Tablet: with Passcodes enabled, you'll tap Log In/Out in the top-right corner, then Clock In/Out once that appears on your screen.
  • Smartphone: tap the three horizontal lines, then Clock In/Out.
  • Mobile POS: for mobile cashiers signing in to the Square app with their own email, they won’t be prompted to enter a Personal Passcode to clock in.

Let us know if you still have any questions, and feel free to check out this article on Timecard Management for more!

Valentina
Message 35 of 70

can i turn off the ability for employees to clock in/out with a smartphone?

Message 36 of 70
Alumni

Yep Yep!

Dashboard > Timecards > Settings > Team App. You should see the toggle up top beneath General.

@skateshoppizza

Justin
Message 37 of 70
Beta Member

I need help. Unable to clock out on my square register? I have followed all steps. There is no clock & the log out is at the bottom right of the screen. This needs to work as I am going into the hospital & will be off for quite a while. Please someone help.

Message 38 of 70
Alumni

@BowWowWoofs - Can you check Settings > Time Tracking to see if it's enabled? 

@BowWowWoofs

Justin
Message 39 of 70

How can an employee see their total hours worked when they clock in?

Message 40 of 70
Square Community Moderator

Hi @djkolman,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to our community, I noticed it's your first post 🙂

Employees will be able to see a summary of their shift when they clock in, and out - take a look at the video in this article for a demonstration of what this looks like. Please let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

Message 41 of 70
Beta Member

My employee clocked in yesterday but when she went to clock out it was missing. We cannot find it.

Message 42 of 70