x

SMS notifications from Square come from a "Lillian Wong"?

I'm getting ready to switch to Square for my appointments, but I'm perplexed by sms messages from Square that say they are from, "Lillian Wong." 

Unrelated to my Square Appointments testing, I made an appointment with a local clinician and also received a confirmation text message from her as if from Lillian Wong. This clinician uses Square, too, and she doesn't know why Lillian Wong's name is there, either.

As a sole proprietor, I find the fictitious name a little confusing for the client. Is there any way it can say that the SMS is coming from me or my biz?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Champion

from my first guess is that a contact name in your phone that somehow is associated with that number?

all the texts for receipts I have gotten from Square are just a phone number 1 302  337  5094.

check if somehow that number is connected to a contact in your contacts.

Message 2 of 12

I have neither a Lillian or a Wong in my contacts, but good suggestion.

Message 3 of 12
Square Champion

I've been thinking about this more and texts are just numbers when they come in from people not in your contacts, hence the "New phone who dis" meme.  So somehow I think there has to be something on your specific phone that is somehow attaching to that number.  I have hundreds of texts from people that aren't in my contacts and all it shows is their phone number as that is all the phone knows that the person is.  

Message 4 of 12

Another good point. I don't use my cell phone as I have a home office/clinic and prefer to use my Google Voice number. While there is no Lillian or a Wong in my contacts, Google Voice might be identifying this number as belonging to someone? But what I'm hearing is that I probably don't have to concern myself with this issue for anyone but myself - and maybe other occasional voice users.

Message 5 of 12
Square Champion

ah, the plot thickens.  Yes, that could be something in google voice then.  interesting.  Maybe you can Make an appointment to your cell so you can see what that comes up as not thru google voice.

Message 6 of 12

I am new to using Square for appointments and am wondering what those SMS messages look like from the client's perspective. Are you able to provide a screenshot please?

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Hey @GabrielSkin,

Thanks for reaching out!

I don't actually have an example at hand that doesn't contain private info, however you can feel free to make a booking as a customer so you can check to see what the notification looks like 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 12

Thanks!

Message 9 of 12

The phone number associated with this Lillian Wong is (480) 405-1133 and does not appear to be for Square and yet they are definitely Square sms messages: Welcome to SMS messages from Square - Reply w/ HELP for more, std rates apply

Message 10 of 12
Alumni

Hi @Doveydoo - You may want to send a screenshot of your text to spoofs@squareup.com to confirm that this is a legit Square message. Never hurts to be sure!

Message 11 of 12

They are legit. They arrive exactly after a test appointment - as well as a real appointment I made with another business that does square. Good thinking, though.

Message 12 of 12