x
Beta Member

Square Checking Debit Card Fraud

Does anyone else have continuous problems with your square debit card being used for fraudulent charges? I only use my debit card with about 6 vendors for my coffee shop and it has been used for fraud 11 times in the last 4 months! I have even gotten new debit cards with new numbers and it is still happening. I am going to be closing my square checking and having to open a checking account at a real bank this week. Very frustrating!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

@THEJACKALOPECOF The mechanics of debit card fraud tell me that this is either a problem with a vendor or some type of breach/virus on your computer.  I have not seen wide spread fraud with any square product that is a problem on their end.

I would suggest a drastic action on your part, but first I would get a credit card (even prepaid) and just pay it off each time you use it with your square checking account.  I personally would go so far as to get 6 different prepaid credit card accounts/or credit card accounts and use one with each vendor till I figured out which jackalope is getting my money jacked.  But if someone keeps getting your account info and you change account numbers, their is either a problem in your system or with a particular vendor.  Where are the fraudulent charges being made?  online?  are they cloning a card? etc...

But the square account is just as real as a brick and mortar bank that you can walk down to and go in and see someone.  This won't stop someone from stealing info...gotta plug the leak.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 4

Has square been helpful retrieving 6our lost fund?
I am going through a situation now where my debit had been used at McDonald’s for a very small transaction which was approved. The same day 3 charges were declined at Walmart and flagged as fraud. Later that same day charges in the same amount were approved totaling nearly 500.00. Square has been no help in this situation. Siding with the merchant. Actually the did give back the 2.55 from McDonald’s. But deemed the others legit. My next problem is there is no information aside from the word Walmart for me to try and find out where and how it was used since the card is still in my possession.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Merkruzer ;

Amazing.... Square sides with Walmart - another merchant but not with you ITS customer.  But when us business owners get hit with Fraud the Banks (CC issuer) always seems to side with the customer.  So this is just showing me another reason why NOT to use Square Banking or Debit cards.   I am sorry this is happening to you!!

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4