x

Reoccurring Payments: Will a client's card on file be charged automaticall?

If I set up cleints with re-occuring payments do I have to wait for them to pay invoice or will they be automatically charge to their credit card on file?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

If you have already set up recurring invoices with their CC on file, Square will automatically charge the customer's card on the date you have specified.

If you send an invoice to the customer with the request to save the card for future payments, it's completely up to the customer to pay the invoice. Once they link their card, though, Square will take it from there. If they don't link their card, Square will automatically send them the invoice every month, but it will not be automatically paid.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

If you have already set up recurring invoices with their CC on file, Square will automatically charge the customer's card on the date you have specified.

If you send an invoice to the customer with the request to save the card for future payments, it's completely up to the customer to pay the invoice. Once they link their card, though, Square will take it from there. If they don't link their card, Square will automatically send them the invoice every month, but it will not be automatically paid.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6

Can you please tell me how you set up for reoccurring payments on Square?  Is this an option?  

I love your pronouns, lol!

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Hello @VanessaSteele !

Recurring payments are mostly handled through the Invoicing section of the dashboard. There is an option to create a recurring invoice when you start a new invoice.

Check out this help file for specific steps.

Please note that some invoicing options involve upgrading your account.

Square also has Subscriptions available as well, which is when a customer chooses to have your product shipped to them at regular intervals. You can see all that info in this help file.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 6

Is there a way to setup a reoccurring payment twice a month?  I want to be able to bill for one item, twice a month (on the 1st and 15th).  I can’t seem to split an item cost (like a deposit) AND make it reoccurring.  Is this possible?  

The reason I’d like to do it this way is that I want to bill monthly (have a monthly count of clients payments) but offer my clients the option to pay twice a month so it’s not such a large financial burden all at once.  

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @UpholsteryAmber yes you can do that! With Square invoices, we do have recurring and deposit features. 

I hope this helps, if not let me know

Message 6 of 6