x
Beta Member

Square Loyalty Categories Update Is Hurting Our Business

We're a coffee roaster and shop and we use Square Loyalty to do a 'buy 10, get 1 free' specifically on our Whole Bean Coffee category only.

When we first got Square Loyalty, the sign up/check in screen would only show up if the person was checking out with a whole bean coffee bag.

There was an update around a month ago that now makes that sign up/check in screen show up for every customer (before the sale starts). Now, our regular customers who purchase drinks from us see that before they begin checking out. They enter their info, but never end up getting rewards (because it's a non-qualifying purchase). They're frustrated because we're collecting their data and enrolling them, but they get nothing from it.

Our baristas then feel really bad and are forced into a tough position of explaining that we don't do loyalty the same way most coffee shops do. We need to resolve this ASAP and have the option of hiding that because it's hurting rapport we've built with a lot of our customers.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Super Seller

@moxiecoffee Unfortunately, I am now out of the loop on this.  All I could do was escalate it to @BernadetteA.  I’m not sure if she is in the office today or not, as I don’t work for Square but am just a fellow seller.  But I’m sure @BernadetteA will let you know as soon as she can.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 22 of 25
Super Seller

I will say that them adding the sign in screen before checkout actually confuses people that have already signed up too. I have regulars constantly putting their phone number in even though they're paying with the same card tied to their account...

I also turned off auto sending emails because sometimes people don't want it set to auto send email and it causes the same confusion of people constantly re-entering their email LOL. Wish there was a toggle they could hit to auto send emails. I digress though, the signing in before checkout causes a bit of confusion.

When I read the post title I thought awesome, someone else is advocating for Square loyalty by category! I did notice the other day you can now do a promotion where it's 2x or 3x or w/e bonus points.... but you can't do it by category still. 😞

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 23 of 25
Super Seller

@moxiecoffee @BernadetteA 

It looks like it's been a couple months since the last update, so I just wanted to see how this was going. 

We are a coffee shop as well and use physical loyalty cards for drinks (buy 9 get 1 free) We have been heavily considering moving to square loyalty so our online order customers can have their drinks accounted for and because we have so many people who walk in and only bring their phone and use apple pay or google pay. 

This however would be a huge factor and would have us not switch over to loyalty. We have customers that come in for pastries only and would not be happy with signing up for loyalty all the time and nothing happening with it.

Thank you for the updates!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 24 of 25
Beta Member

This was updated for us and it’s working as we want.

Message 25 of 25