x

I don't agree with $5 off opt-in coupon

I recently started my process with the square text marketing. 

It forces me to offer $5 or another discount in order for the client opt-in at checkout. 

I don't want to offer a discount. I also don't care about square's opinion about this so please don't give me an opinion.

I solely want to know how to edit or ask the client for opt-in without giving any discount. 

I can't find where to edit this. 

If there is no way to edit without a discount, I simply won't use it and will look for another service that gives me more freedom on how I handle my business. 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Can you post a screenshot of what the options are? I'd love to help you with this but I don't currently use their texting so I can't see this area. 

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 2 of 3
Square Champion

Hello @Eastvalleym !

Currently the only way to have people opt in to text marketing in the Square ecosystem is to offer a coupon. You can adjust what and how much you're discounting at

Dashboard -> Marketing -> Settings

The Text Message configuration section is about halfway down the page. Clicking Edit in the greyed boxes will allow you to tweak things.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind why a discount is required for text opt ins, but overall I've found having that discount there doesn't mean everyone will take advantage of it. In my time using text marketing and opt ins via loyalty, I've had a handful of people take me up on that discount. I would recommend posting the feature request to not having discounts over in the Ideate section of this community as well.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 3 of 3