x

Anybody else annoyed as hell to find Afterpay activated without your permission?

Hey Square, since you so wisely have chosen not to have any handy information about how to contact YOU:  I'm not sure why you thought it was a good idea to activate Afterpay without asking me.  This is a deli.  I sell lunch for a living.  If someone needs an installment plan to pay for their lunch, I'm sure there are government agencies that can help.  Yes of course I realize you announced it to me on a little bullet point on my page.  And that I could de-activate it, which I did.  But should I really have to do that?  This thing starts at the "discounted" rate of exactly what I'm paying for regular processing, AND THEN IT DOUBLES.  You pull this kind of crap again and you really are fired.  I will invest in all new equipment or whatever it takes to find a replacement.  Either that or I will shutter the place permanently before I will let you run it from your distant cubicles and help yourself to more of my money whenever you feel like it.  How f**king dare you.  You might want to get your PR department on a really sincere-sounding public apology before the outrage hits social media.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hi @LSM306 -

First off, we apologize for the frustration this has caused you and appreciate you sharing this feedback. By auto-enabling Afterpay for Square Online sellers, we intended to remove a layer of friction and automate the get-started process for Afterpay to help sellers get maximum value from the introductory pricing period. It has been shown that businesses using Afterpay see a 20% increase in cart conversion on average, and more repeat customers; therefore, we wanted to make sure that every business can take advantage of this new functionality and those that do not can easily opt out.

All sellers who were a part of the Afterpay auto-enablement should have received email and dashboard notifications about the Afterpay experience well in advance of activation, with information about the service and how to enable or disable it. Afterpay can be easily turned on or off from your Square Online Overview page, go to Settings > Checkout or Shared Settings > Checkout. 

For a deli business such as yours, we understand that Afterpay may not always make sense for your customers. For food and beverage sellers, Afterpay will only be shown for items greater than $50 and orders greater than $30. We recently added the ability to change these minimums in the Square Online checkout settings as well, so you can offer Afterpay when it's right for your business. Regarding the Afterpay processing rate, we have offered a promotional rate so sellers can try Afterpay at no added cost to determine if buy now, pay later is right for their business. The introductory period ends on May 10, 2022, and sellers will be notified early and often before the rate change takes effect.

I hope this helps give more clarity as to why we made this decision, and helps your business navigate how to best utilize (or no utilize) Afterpay.

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 2 of 12

I am unable to find how to turn off afterpay.  I am a very small coffee shop.  HELP!

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

@Kgsinclair Afterpay is currently disabled for you. When you log into your Square dashboard, click  Settings > Account & Settings > Business > Payment Methods and you can opt out of Afterpay so that it does not get automatically enabled later.

Barbara_b
Square Online Beta Manager
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 12

I am also unable to find how to disable Afterpay.  This is frightening!  The link in the email they sent this morning does not send you to disable Afterpay.

Message 5 of 12

@Sypria It looks like you've disabled Afterpay already. If you log into your Square Online account, you ca click Settings > Checkout, and there's a toggle to turn Afterpay on or off.

Barbara_b
Join the Beta Community
Message 6 of 12

Nope, doesn't work to turn off AfterPay! I have tried many times and i keep getting the same messege; "Your changes failed to save. Please try again."

Message 7 of 12

Hi @Crosswinds 👋 Sorry to hear you are having trouble disabling the Afterpay option. Can you please confirm your site URL so we can take a look? 

Message 8 of 12

Hello,

I am trying to shut off my afterpay option.  I do not see that as an option.  I wrote 2 weeks ago.  Please assist me too.

Thank you,

Kim

Message 9 of 12

@Kgsinclair Afterpay is currently disabled for you. When you log into your Square dashboard, click  Settings > Account & Settings > Business > Payment Methods and you can opt out of Afterpay so that it does not get automatically enabled later.

Barbara_b
Join the Beta Community
Message 10 of 12

@Crosswinds Afterpay is disabled for your Square Online site. I'm looking into the issue with the display in your Square Payment Settings but the reason it's giving the error there is because it's already disabled. Thanks for flagging this discrepancy and we'll get that resolved ASAP.

Barbara_b
Join the Beta Community
Message 11 of 12

Very annoyed, I'm thankful that I found this. After a month of trying to get me to sign up for it, today I get a 'welcome to afterpay' message. Thought I was immediately compromised, no, it's just square opting us into more stuff. I've disabled it in my payment settings, but I'm extremely disappointed in Square's handling of this. If you're going to force us to be in a program, fine. We can decide to leave or stay. But to give us the option to join and then auto-join us when we don't is really shady.

Message 12 of 12