x

Feature Request: A Product Status for Items on Order That Have Not Yet Been Received into Stock

We've used Square for about two years now, and there is an inventory feature that would make our lives so much easier. I was wondering if it might be in the works.  We're a vinyl record store with over 30,000 items.  We would love a way to differentiate whether an item is in stock, out of stock, or (and this is what we need) out of stock but on order.  With so many items coming from so many vendors, it doesn't really work to keep a bunch of separate spreadsheets of incoming items, so as of now, we simply add the ordered quantity to the in-stock inventory for the title.  Because of this, we don't have true inventory numbers, we often wind up with duplicate orders, or items we think we ordered which we haven't.  We are also very keen on using Square Online to start selling on our website, and were excited to see the real-time inventory update function, but right now, with all of our "on order" titles entered as actually being on hand, our website would never have a true representation of what we really did have in stock.  Hopefully that makes sense.  We've had to kind of improvise to make Square work for us, and this is really the one and only stumbling block we've got.  I know that, as a vinyl record store, we are kind of a specialized niche store, but I can't imagine that every retailer who uses Square wouldn't love to have this functionality added to the program.  For ourselves, this added functionality would make a huge difference in our ordering procedure, plus it really is the only thing keeping us from selling on our website using Square.  Please let us know if this feature might be in the works sometime in the foreseeable future?  Thank you, Mark Utley, Manager, Morrow Records

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

hey @MorrowRecords Welcome to the Community. We appreciate you laying out your ideas and examples of how you intend to use a feature like this. 

I want to make sure the right Product Team has eyes on your post - are you using the Standard POS or Square for Retail? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know what version we're using.  I inherited it from a previous manager, and I can't find anywhere within the interface where it refers to itself in any specific way.  Is there somewhere you could recommend that I look, or is there a way for you to access our business name on your end that might tell you?  We're probably under Morrow Audio Records.

Also, thanks for the response!  I'm super excited to finally be speaking to someone there who potentially gets what we're asking for and who could conceivably help us achieve it.

Mark

Message 3 of 6

I just found it in a monthly statement email.  It is Square for Retail.

Mark

Message 4 of 6
Alumni

You're totally fine! Just to note, we're unable to see the subscriptions on your account or any account specifics in the Community, but I'm glad you found out you're sub'd to Square for Retail. I'll make sure your feature request gets surfaced to the right team. 

They won't reach out to you directly, but we act as liaisons bwtn them and our Sellers and pass up all requests for tracking. When we have news to share on future availability, we'll update this thread so be sure to subscribe up top. @MorrowRecords

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for passing this along to them.  It really is, as I mentioned before, the only obstacle in the way of our using Square Online, and it's something that would make staying on top of our orders and inventory a hundred times easier.

Message 6 of 6