x
Beta Member

Online Order Notifications

Something has changed in the last week (perhaps a new update) with order notifications for online orders on our POS (iPad).

Before we would get a "ding" sound on the iPad, a blue box would pop up on the screen, and the ticket would automatically print on our receipt printer.

We now no longer get any "ding" notification on the screen w/popup to notify our staff that an online order has come in. It does still print a ticket automatically, however if we are busy serving in-store customers our staff does not always notice the new ticket printed. Customers are showing up to pickup orders and we are not aware that an order had even come in. 

Yes we have checked all the settings, and we have everything enabled correctly. We went back and checked the last update, and it does appear that this issue was in conjunction with a new Square update that was released in the past week (or so).

Is anyone else having this issue, and is there a way to get notifications back like we used to have? The only way we now know that a new order has come in is if we check the orders tab on the POS system every few minutes.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

I will also note that orders that are not placed for immediate pickup (upcoming orders) still pop-up on our POS screen and "ding" like normal. It's the orders that are placed for pickup ASAP during the checkout process that we are having issues with no notifications.

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @ANTIQOLOGY 😊

This sounds like a possible bug since it is working for some order types and not all. 🤔

Have you had a chance to reach out to our support team about this? If not, I recommend reaching out to the team when you get a chance. A rep can confirm if this is expected behavior, and can escalate to the engineers if an issue is suspected. 

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

I have reached out to the support team on several occasions, and they wanted me to pull out my personal credit card to run a transaction to see if it did it, and then just reverse the card. I'm not sure what this would accomplish, as we process on average over 100 transactions daily. I have not found a solution, it does it on multiple iPads, and we've simply stopped promoting our online ordering like we did months ago. It's frustrating, and our staff complains daily about it. I really wish that their was a better order notification (like we used to have prior) for online orders.

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Has there been a response or fix to this issue yet?

I have been given the run around by Square Online Chat/Phone help on what to do here. I have also made sure everything is enabled correctly in both the Square App and in iPad system settings. Surely Square can't expect our staff members to stand around staring at the screen because it doesn't give a sound notification for a new order. 

We also practice sustainability and don't print tickets - so we don't even have that as a back up option. 

Message 5 of 5